View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: View from the bridge

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:taken with a Kodak EasyShare CX7530 pocket 5 mp camera
great little camera with auto focus zoom lens, has optical viewfinder that zooms, as well as normal rear screen, uses 2 AA batterys and takes an SD card. will record simple video with sound
I have a few of these since they are quite old now and if you can find one shouldnt cost more than £5 on ebay.
ideal camera for cycle touring as 5mp is fine

We had one similar with a view finder IIRC?....yep just looked and alcd screen , then a z885 kodak just a lcd screen which is not that likes by some, both packed up and the battery did not alway connect, plus you needed to use 1.5v batteries not rechargeables 1.2v, basically eat batteries, they had viewfinders.
We had an unwanted samsung 12mp which mean on zoom you can still get a reasonable pic, lion batts of course but you have to move on.
All suffer from damp. kep telling my self that I need a water proof one but fancy a compact not size of a radio?

P.S. £30 off ebay for an unwanted samsung 12 mp now we have one each..................but the mobile phone has all but made them all redundant...............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
colin54 wrote:Rick, kind of you to take the trouble, much appreciated. I know the car park you mean, I went past it on the way back . I think I've possibly been on that track a bit further up via a bridge over the canal, but I may be mistaken, it's all a bit unknown territory up there for me, I'll have a look anyway, thanks.

Just a note to mention that the Adlington (Northern) end of the path is closed - until Jan next year if I read the sign right (note to self: take a photo of notices to confirm what they say later). I can't comment on the current state of the Red Rock end as I joined the railway line at the bridleway part way along, that was mentioned previously.

reohn2 wrote:The L&L towpath is a nicer ride though IMHO.

This is even more applicable for now.

On Monday I rode the towpath from Adlington marina though to Wigan,no problem :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

World War two relics on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, anti-tank obstacles to block bridge crossings of the canal. They're fairly crudely constructed with what looks like old railway track steel for the lifting eyes, flame cut to length. I assume they were meant to be craned into place if the need ever arose. There's at least two sets of these in this area. I imagine they were cast in situ. Amazing they've never been moved, maybe they're listed.
P1120996.JPG

P1130001.JPG

...and one at a bridge under the railway line and over the canal a bit further towards Wigan from Parbold. Click on images for a better view, the block has two white bits on it (at the entrance to the rail arch).
P1120993.JPG

The canal bridge numbers are 40 and 41.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I known those bridges well :wink:
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We're supposed to be on that river by canal boat in the summer -- not sure that'll happen now.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

P1130303.JPG

Walking the bike down the footpath from Ashurst Beacon to Long Heys Lane, this foot bridge is of the rare mono-rail construction, it crosses an approx 4 metre deep gully, it is made even more unusual in that it has a dress code, or to be strictly accurate an un-dress code. I've complied on every occasion but still no sign of the 'Bridges Team', maybe it should read have 'Britches Team'.
Attachments
P1130307.JPG
Last edited by colin54 on 5 Nov 2020, 9:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Well spotted Col :)
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Did you comply with the bare with us and undress :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The 'cyclists dismount' sign is missing! How do you walk across, with the cycle on your left or right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cowsham wrote:We're supposed to be on that river by canal boat in the summer -- not sure that'll happen now.

When? I'd have thought touring by narrowboat will be one of the first leisure activities to be declared safe. When you are on the boat and moving you are naturally distanced. And when you get off the boat to operate locks, take on drinking water, moor up and so forth you can take precautionary measures to keep the danger very low. I'd wear Marigold gloves at locks, for example. I think you might be lucky if you are talking about July onwards.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pwa wrote:
Cowsham wrote:We're supposed to be on that river by canal boat in the summer -- not sure that'll happen now.

When? I'd have thought touring by narrowboat will be one of the first leisure activities to be declared safe. When you are on the boat and moving you are naturally distanced. And when you get off the boat to operate locks, take on drinking water, moor up and so forth you can take precautionary measures to keep the danger very low. I'd wear Marigold gloves at locks, for example. I think you might be lucky if you are talking about July onwards.

We thought that too but the narrowboat operator shut up shop the day Boris said lockdown to cut their losses for this season. I think is the right thing to do cos even if you're a local, which we are not, you couldn't even travel to the canal by car and there's no Riverside attractions open to visit or places eat out, which we intended to do some days.

They have promised to honor all bookings postponed to next year. So that's our only option and took it. I have just moved everything to next year.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cowsham wrote:
pwa wrote:

We thought that too but the narrowboat operator shut up shop the day Boris said lockdown to cut their losses for this season. I think is the right thing to do cos even if you're a local, which we are not, you couldn't even travel to the canal by car and there's no Riverside attractions open to visit or places eat out, which we intended to do some days.

They have promised to honor all bookings postponed to next year. So that's our only option and took it. I have just moved everything to next year.

The CRT people are the place to look for what's happening. There is lockdown on the canals at the moment. You are not allowed to tour but you can move a boat to get water from water points and to do other essential things like emptying septic tanks. But when lockdown eases, whenever that is, it would be strange if canal use were not one of the first things to come back to life. With relatively minor precautions it could be one of the lowest risk activities.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

rjb wrote:Did you comply with the bare with us and undress :shock:

Cyril Haearn wrote:The 'cyclists dismount' sign is missing! How do you walk across, with the cycle on your left or right?

Having of course obeyed the 'bareing instructions' rjb, I gingerly shuffled across with my rear to the rail, hoping upon hope I was going 'with the grain' to avoid potentially painful splinterage.
No 'cyclists dismount' sign is necessary of course Cyril, as being a footpath, not cycling is surely axiomatic no 'mounting' having taken place beforehand ? As any fule kno, having the bicycle on one's left or right is of course dependent on the direction of one's traverse in a mono-railed bridge scenario.
Don't look down !
I dread the day I meet the Bridges or Britches Team crossing in the opposing direction, how will current social distancing advice be applied ?attachment=0]P1130306.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
P1130306.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Four metre deep gully? :?
I should be too careful/scared to cross, one doesnae know how strong the bridge is
I should keep my clothes on and retreat :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies