View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Re: View from the bridge

Post by iandriver »

Those Romans knew how to cross a river

A lot of the later ones I came across hadn't stood the test of time quite so well :?

Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Half way across the bridge from a few years back riding from Cardiff to Bristol.

20160331_144728.jpg
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

You didn't fancy carrying your bike over the top then? :lol:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

fausto copy wrote:You didn't fancy carrying your bike over the top then? :lol:

That was the second attempt at using the Transporter Bridge in Newport, the first was when we rode from Bath to Cardiff overnight and got to the bridge around 6am and weren't prepared to wait for it to open and there were a few siuggestions about using the steps up to the gantry. The picture was taken at a more respectable time around 15:00.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Pony du Gard (top) was primarily an aqueduct. The water was carried on a gentle slope for something like 20 miles. Incredible engineering.
John
rjb

Post by rjb »

When first opened you had to pay the toll to use the bridge, but it was free to anyone prepared to climb the towers and walk across.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

There was a programme on ITV Wales last week, with the local weather presenter Ruth Wignall climbing all the steps and walking across.
She was absolutely petrified, as I think I would be too. :shock:

f.f.f.fausto :wink:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

fausto copy wrote:There was a programme on ITV Wales last week, with the local weather presenter Ruth Wignall climbing all the steps and walking across.
She was absolutely petrified, as I think I would be too. :shock:

f.f.f.fausto :wink:

https://www.itv.com/walesprogrammes/coa ... -episode-7

FF to 11:58.

rjb wrote:

When first opened you had to pay the toll to use the bridge, but it was free to anyone prepared to climb the towers and walk across.

There still is a toll for crossing the Usk using the bridge, can't remember how much though.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I think it'a around £3.
The last we heard was that a new visitor centre and parking area was in the pipeline, but as ever, funds are hard to come by.

We're from Runcorn, so have fond memories of the old transporter bridge there, which crossed the Manchester Ship Canal and River Mersey, over to Widnes.
My brother-in-law (who is a professor and should have known better) told me as a teenager that him and his mates used to crawl under the gondola, ride across so far and drop into the Ship Canal. :shock:
I was too timid to even dip my toes in on what was quite a nice sandy beach at Ferry Hut.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Found the ticket for the crossing of Pont Gludo and three years ago it was £1.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

A few from the other day on the Leeds-Liverpool canal.
The warehouse building at Wigan Pier is being turned into flats (I think it was a bar/restaurant before).
The figure 'looking' at it, is a statue of a bargee which unfortunately been vandalised by the local ne'er do wells, removing his flat cap.This, and the other statue of a lady further down the towpath were both damaged a couple of years ago, it seems a shame the council haven't repaired them by now.
P1120733.JPG

P1120729.JPG

The next one is a view from a bridge over a road just past Red Rock (towpath towards Leeds from Wigan).
The canal had been dammed using scaffolding and thick plastic sheeting, with a pump running from an adjacent field. A slope of rock allowing a digger to get down off of the bank onto the canal bed. I may be wrong, but it looks like they are re-lining the bed with clay, possibly to stop leaking through the stone-work of the bridge arch. Fresh clay can be seen just in front of the rocky slope.There was no one about to ask unfortunately. Note the green cast iron parapet sections.The second picture is a view onto the road below.
P1120737.JPG

P1120738.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grief! :shock:

As a kid, we lived on Chorley Road, down from Boar's Head. Went to school at St Michael's in Swinley, Wigan. 1956 to 1964.
School mate lived near the golf course at Red Rock.
His younger brother is Chat Noir of this very forum. :D

Later, moved to Wrightington and then to Newburgh.

Rode the Leeds Liverpool canal through Parbold, Appley Bridge, Gathust and Wigan as well as past Wigan Pier ............ when it was still a warehouse.
Dad bought me a bike in 1965 from Orrell Post and I rode it back home to Wrightington over the canal at Gathust via Shevington and Appley Bridge.

Had our wedding reception on a narrow boat moored at Burscough in November 1973.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Colin
I wish I had a £ everytime I've ridden those stretches of the L&L :)
Thanks for the photos
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Glad they bought back some happy memories Mick.
Cheers r2, do you know where that road comes out up the hill, is it cyclable legally ?
Nu-Fogey
RickH

Post by RickH »

colin54 wrote:Glad they bought back some happy memories Mick.
Cheers r2, do you know where that road comes out up the hill, is it cyclable legally ?

I think that "road" is actuallly the old railway line & is officially a cycle route. It looks like it is still as muddy as it was when I last went along it a few years back.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.