View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54

Re: View from the bridge

Postby colin54 » 5 Nov 2020, 8:25am

There was a road closed sign at the top Back Lane, Newburgh leading down to a local powered swing-bridge crossing the canal, I thought I'd roll the Carra-dice and see if I could get across anyway. A bit of luck, pontoon!
Cars could not cross due to bridge repairs but the Canal and River Trust had put this plastic pontoon (floating bridge) in place, which could be walked across with a bicycle, it felt surprisingly stable. A lot of these swing bridges on the canals are manually operated but this one is swung by an electrically controlled hydraulic pump and ram, they were doing repairs to the system by the look of things.
P1140816.JPG

P1140819.JPG

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Nov 2020, 10:10am

Colin
Rode out that way yesterday(on Honda powered machine)on the way to Southport and saw the sign.
About five years ago they were building a new bridge on the River Weaver at Dutton Locks(just down stream from Acton Bridge swingbridge on the A49) and had a similar floating bridge that cars could drive over who needed access to the houses at the locks,like you I was impressed by the stability.

Nice photos,as ever,thanks :)
-----------------------------------------------------------

colin54

Postby colin54 » 5 Nov 2020, 11:11am

reohn2 wrote:Colin
Rode out that way yesterday(on Honda powered machine)on the way to Southport and saw the sign.
About five years ago they were building a new bridge on the River Weaver at Dutton Locks(just down stream from Acton Bridge swingbridge on the A49) and had a similar floating bridge that cars could drive over who needed access to the houses at the locks,like you I was impressed by the stability.

Nice photos,as ever,thanks :)

Cheers John, If you or anyone else is out and about over this way Wanes Blade Road/Mains Lane is closed at the Bridge where the River Tawd joins the River Douglas, you can't get across it by bike or even by foot.
I might go and have a look at it today just to see what's occuring.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.60690 ... 6656?hl=en

PH

Postby PH » 6 Nov 2020, 5:58pm

It won't win any prizes for the view, but Derby's latest pedestrian/cycle bride is a very useful crossing of the A52 which slices the city in two even more so than the river. 18 months late, partly due to Covid, and apparently way over budget, along with all the A52 road widening works, it's a great improvement over what was there before. I have no idea why it's so high, I understand the width is so an emergency vehicle can use it if needed. I've crossed it over a dozen times and it's not been open a week yet. They're still working on some of the approach paths.
Br-1.jpg

Br2.jpg

And the obligatory bike on a bridge photo
Br-3.jpg

colin54

Postby colin54 » 22 Nov 2020, 11:02am

The closed Wanes Blade Rd / Mains Rd bridge re-opened this week. They had been shot-blasting &
painting the railings, it looked like a big job and entailed shrouding scaffolding in plastic covering
you can see how high the river gets by the vegetation stuck in the scaffolding in the first picture (click).
Road re-opened and scaffolding off in second picture.

P1140843.JPG

P1120018.JPG

I was impressed that the pontoon bridge on the canal mentioned previously,has lighting and the muddy path around the back of the house leading to it is also lit , top job !
P1140907.JPG