iPhone vs iPad landscape vs portrait

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have an iPad ........ Using it now.
Mrs Mick F has an iPhone.

My iPad will go from landscape to portrait and back again easily no matter what screen is showing, but Mrs Mick F's iPhone refuses to ever go to landscape unless it's showing a photo etc.

Why is this?
Is there a way of getting landscape whenever she wants?
Mick F. Cornwall
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Is her screen lock 'on'? Swipe from the bottom and there's an icon with a padlock and circular arrow.
maxcherry

Re: iPhone vs iPad landscape vs portrait

Post by maxcherry »

Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

Some screens in some apps might not want to be seen in landscape on the iPhone no matter what
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys, but the Screen Lock isn't on.

I think this sums it up though.
nicmarsh wrote:Some screens in some apps might not want to be seen in landscape on the iPhone no matter what
This seems odd to me because the iPad and the iPhone are basically the same thing with the same IOS software.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS
Just thought ..................

She was on Facebook earlier and she uses an app for it. It was stuck in portrait so I asked her why she wasn't looking at it in landscape as it would be clearer and better. If she'd been in Safari she could have seen it in landscape.

Mystery solved.
Crap app. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Apple in its infinite wisdom have decided that you are not to be trusted on your phone with some things and for your own good do not let you rotate the screen where they thing you shouldn't. This is why you cant rotate the home scheme.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can't rotate the home screen in my Samsung Galaxy either. :lol:
I hardly use it as a "smart" phone as I have no data allowance on my contract, just unlimited texts and 300mins of talk time per month. (I think that's correct, but I never get anywhere near any limits)

As for the iPad, you can rotate the home screen any way you want. Strange that an iPad can do it, but not the phone.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I thought my IPad rotated on the home screen.
I've just tried it and it didn't [emoji52] wonder if this is since last update or just playing up.

Often find apps won't landscape especially if they are iPhone versions rather than being purely iPad versions Strava is an example.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
honesty

Post by honesty »

Mick F wrote:You can't rotate the home screen in my Samsung Galaxy either. :lol:
I hardly use it as a "smart" phone as I have no data allowance on my contract, just unlimited texts and 300mins of talk time per month. (I think that's correct, but I never get anywhere near any limits)

As for the iPad, you can rotate the home screen any way you want. Strange that an iPad can do it, but not the phone.

install LauncherPro from the app store and you will be able to do whatever you want with the home screen. Great little app. Gets rid of all the vendor locked settings without jailbreaking your phone.