Refreshed and Energised Labour Party

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
CREPELLO

Corbyn plays for the CTC vote

Post by CREPELLO »

Did anyone hear about the Corbyn interview on the Victoria Derbyshire show?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rview.html
He turned down an interview because it was to be done in a car driving around London. He doesn't like cars it seems. He agreed instead to do the interview in his local caf where he confessed to having two bikes! :o :D

He's obviously playing for the vital CTC vote. I wonder whether he's a member?

Although I don't expect Corbyn would renationalize the car industry (he'd never go that far :roll: ), what about the prospect of the touted National Investment Bank backing a reborn British cycle industry? I half jest, but you can be sure that Corbyn would definitely push for significant investment in proper cycle infrastructure.
beardy

Re: Refreshed and Energised Labour Party

Post by beardy »

Probably unelectable then, The UK just isnt ready yet for a PM who doesnt worship cars.

That should take a decade or two yet, I think.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

al_yrpal wrote:I like conviction and he has that in spades.

Al

He has integrity too - I'm sure I heard on the radio a while ago that in the Expenses Scandal, Corbyn's claimed expenses were the lowest of all the MPs. That says a lot to me.

This above all: to thine own self be true...
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:
TonyR wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That post is the kind of fearmongering I'd expect of Toryalikes who wish to keep the status quo.

To quote you from another thread:

Personal attacks are beginning to creep into this thread,we can do without it IMHO.

That post wasn't directed at you personally but at Tories and Labour mp's alike who's interests lie in retaining the status quo.
However if I've offended you in anyway I apologise, it wasn't my intention.

Not offended, just bemused. The use of "that post.." i.e. my post, definitely gave the appearance of being directed my way but no apology needed.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Psamathe wrote:
TonyR wrote:
reohn2 wrote:There's a lot of daylight between now and the next election,this bunch know a threat when they see it.

So why are loads of Tories signing up so they can help vote him in?

But then why are Cameron and Osborne telling us what a disaster Corbyn will be? If they really think he will damage Labour, why have they joined the "anyone but Corbyn" argument?

I wonder if in the early days of the Labour leadership campaign they through "great, a far left candidate" and thought back to their continual overuse of the "Red Ed" nickname and wanted Corbyn to indirectly help them. But as the campaign has progressed they now think he might actually present a greater threat to them than they had appreciated. Just a theory.

Ian

I don't think I've heard a peep from the Tories, apart from a little blog noise.

I'd say their strategy is the Napoleonic one:

‘Never interfere with an enemy while he’s in the process of destroying himself.’

It's a matter of opinion whether you think Labour are doing that or not, but I think that is the Tory view. They managed to keep quiet about their private poll results being different from the public ones for 6 months during the election, so they seem to be well disciplined at present.

I'm sure they've got a rolodex of compromising quotes somewhere, though.

Ferdinand
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ferdinand wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
TonyR wrote:[So why are loads of Tories signing up so they can help vote him in?

But then why are Cameron and Osborne telling us what a disaster Corbyn will be? If they really think he will damage Labour, why have they joined the "anyone but Corbyn" argument?

I wonder if in the early days of the Labour leadership campaign they through "great, a far left candidate" and thought back to their continual overuse of the "Red Ed" nickname and wanted Corbyn to indirectly help them. But as the campaign has progressed they now think he might actually present a greater threat to them than they had appreciated. Just a theory.

Ian

I don't think I've heard a peep from the Tories, apart from a little blog noise.

‘Never interfere with an enemy while he’s in the process of destroying himself.’

It's a matter of opinion whether you think Labour are doing that or not, but I think that is the Tory view. They managed to keep quiet about their private poll results being different from the public ones for 6 months during the election, so they seem to be well disciplined at present.

Ferdinand

In the last week (or so) both Cameron and Osborne have made statements (reported in mainstream news) that Corbyn's policies would be a disaster for the UK. Can't find the reports now as my RSS Reader reset the other day and old stored articles were lost. But e.g. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-is-a-threat-to-our-national-security-says-george-osborne-10479327.html

Ian
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

JC: What an interesting fellow!

Listened to a radio 4 profile of him t'other day. His said 'past-time' or relaxation was...attending political rallies or talks.(Yes,I know he also has an allotment,cycles,takes and interest in his sons). Sir,I salute you! I listened in the Channel 4 debate last week: aural torture. Cognitive water-boarding. When I saw,listened and heard the eels of Westminster oiling their arguments,I thought how better it is to repair punctures,and that you deserve a VC.

TBF your 'fairness' carries non of the pulpit-preacher-messianic-nutter flavour of TB(it even fooled me for 6 months). Or the hidden venality of 'Himmler' IDS and 'the Bride of Dracula' EM. You seem a fairly decent guy: WOTSWRONG WITH YOU!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I note that the Labour Party have chosen HH to speak up about Cameron's moral failure to act generously over the current migration chaos. Perhaps you'd expect her to, as the Labour Party's temporary big cheese, but the future big cheeses are keeping their cards closer to their chests...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tyreon wrote:JC: What an interesting fellow!

Listened to a radio 4 profile of him t'other day. His said 'past-time' or relaxation was...attending political rallies or talks.(Yes,I know he also has an allotment,cycles,takes and interest in his sons). Sir,I salute you! I listened in the Channel 4 debate last week: aural torture. Cognitive water-boarding. When I saw,listened and heard the eels of Westminster oiling their arguments,I thought how better it is to repair punctures,and that you deserve a VC.

TBF your 'fairness' carries non of the pulpit-preacher-messianic-nutter flavour of TB(it even fooled me for 6 months). Or the hidden venality of 'Himmler' IDS and 'the Bride of Dracula' EM. You seem a fairly decent guy: WOTSWRONG WITH YOU!

Nothing apparent,and that's what's got 'em worried! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

He rides a bike and he's not anti-Semitic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cor ... 87318.html

Is that enough?
niggle

Post by niggle »

Jeremy Corbyn the vote loser- funny that he would be the first labour leader for a very long time that would stand any chance of getting this 1980s Labour Party member's vote back from the Greens....
Last edited by niggle on 6 Sep 2015, 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

simonineaston wrote:I note that the Labour Party have chosen HH to speak up about Cameron's moral failure to act generously over the current migration chaos. Perhaps you'd expect her to, as the Labour Party's temporary big cheese, but the future big cheeses are keeping their cards closer to their chests...

Yvette Cooper has stuck her head out on this one to her credit. The rest as you say have been silent.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Psamathe wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

Ferdinand

In the last week (or so) both Cameron and Osborne have made statements (reported in mainstream news) that Corbyn's policies would be a disaster for the UK. Can't find the reports now as my RSS Reader reset the other day and old stored articles were lost. But e.g. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-is-a-threat-to-our-national-security-says-george-osborne-10479327.html

Ian

Thanks for that, Ian. I'd say that that reinforces my point.

Nominations were announced on 15 June. Week 1.
Voting Started 16 August approx. Week 10.
Voting finishes 10 September. Week 13.

That we heard almost nothing until week 12 of a 13 week campaign,
by which point the large majority of people will have voted, and then it was quite tame statements, suggests to me that the Tories have been keeping quiet and now think JC has won. If they were going to attack him in the campaign, they would have done it sooner imo.

The Lab conference will be fascinating, because whoever the Leader and Deputy are will only hear the result two weeks in advance. That's not long to organise a Shadow Cabinet.

Ferdinand
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not a sensible strategy for the Tories to attack Corbyn when they are hoping desperately for another Michael Foot. Wonder what gear he has in mind for attendance at the Cenotaph?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Yup. The Cenotaph. Never thought of that one. The tabloids are gonna go nuts with any sign of informal dressing! Their shotguns are already being loaded. Think they're gonna go into overdrive should JC win Labour leadership. Expecting Rebecca's got him in her cross-hairs! And there's me thinking the dead cannot arise: stuff and nonsense!