Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Jun 2018, 2:43pm

. . . . .
Last edited by thirdcrank on 13 Jun 2018, 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 13 Jun 2018, 2:46pm

mjr wrote:...Wetherspoons is basically paying for anti-cycling politics ....

If you are going to accuse them surely you should give details of alternate news sources of this (ie other than you :) ).
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Jun 2018, 2:47pm

My request for on topic replies had nothing to do with the hilarious wordplay.

As i said i thought it a term in common use, but title now changed.

On with the thread.

Thank you to andrew for info above.

Edit , reply to thirdcrank, another (good) post intervened as i was typing.
Sweep

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 13 Jun 2018, 3:45pm

Our local Wetherspoons, the Buttercross in Bingham, Notts is cycle friendly. It's actually the adopted club room of the local club, who meet there for a post ride drink and curry/pizza. There's a small outside area that's ideal for storing bikes. They are well used to people in Lycra turning up and ordering food and beer. I think there were 15 of us in there last night, taking over the outside area. They sell a good (and cheap) pint of Doom Bar.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Jun 2018, 3:50pm

thanks trev, used to live not too far from there though probably no "spoons" then.

Forgot to mention up above as a touring plus, free and simple wifi access.

Won't clog the thread with more thanks, but keep them coming folks.

May post a spoons and bike pic later.

PS - must admit to not being a doom bar fan - i personally consider it a triumph of marketing - no more cornish than me -:) so I seek out spoons ever changing guest beers.

all the best
Sweep

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Jun 2018, 3:56pm

Well I beg to disagree.

Our local W***ersp***s is set up right adjacent to one of our sets of town centre cycle racks, and routinely sets out tables and chairs outside their boozer in such a way as to obstruct these racks. The aforesaid tables and chairs, of course, are there purely to accommodate their cancer-stick-smoking clientele. Not only do I have to endure the noxious fug that hovers around this area, but I generally have to shove these aforesaid tables and chairs out of the way, simply in order to lock up my bike (luckily the area is overlooked by CCTV not under W's control, otherwise I'd never risk my bike next to all those lowlife...)

W. cycle-friendly? Come off it! :evil:

Is this thread a 'plant' by any chance....? Mods?
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Jun 2018, 4:09pm

If the pub is routinely obstructing the racks, which I am assuming are on public property, I suggest you politely get in touch with them.

I have contacted them a couple of times and found them responsive.

I find the public racks outside their Lowestoft pub handy - have sat outside but you can sit inside and see them as I recall.

The suggestion that this thread is a plant I find bizarre - a moment's click would show that I am a regular on here.

Even the most devilish corporate PR would not have bothered to create such an extensive front.

As for an appeal to the mods - well words fail me - can't imagine what your grounds would be.

oh, feel free to name that pub. for information purposes. without insulting people.
Sweep

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 4:16pm

Sweep wrote:The suggestion that this thread is a plant I find bizarre - a moment's click would show that I am a regular on here.

And have you never done any work for payment? I had no idea we had a lifetime cycling monk in our midst! ;-)

I note that you did not directly deny that the opening post was sponsored in some way, but merely called the accusation bizarre, pointed out your long membership of this forum and denied being a PR department creation - attacking the accusation rather than answering it, classic defence. Well done 661-Pete - it didn't occur to me that this could be astroturfing aka social media marketing and I see enough of that during my work.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

PH

Postby PH » 13 Jun 2018, 4:24pm

They're often used as Audax controls, they can handle the numbers, often have reasonably secure bike parking, decent coffee and are open fairly early in the morning. I'm riding from one in Lichfield on Sunday, it's opening earlier than normal to accommodate us.
The Weatherspoons rep is welcome to contact me via PM with offers of free beer vouchers.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Jun 2018, 4:29pm

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:The suggestion that this thread is a plant I find bizarre - a moment's click would show that I am a regular on here.

And have you never done any work for payment? I had no idea we had a lifetime cycling monk in our midst! ;-)

I note that you did not directly deny that the opening post was sponsored in some way, but merely called the accusation bizarre, pointed out your long membership of this forum and denied being a PR department creation - attacking the accusation rather than answering it, classic defence. Well done 661-Pete - it didn't occur to me that this could be astroturfing aka social media marketing and I see enough of that during my work.

What. A denial is a classic defence? Agree.

I repeat this is not a plant - I did not accept payment to start the thread, any more than my countless posts asking questions about bike bits.

Yes, I find the suggestion bizarre. In fact beyond bizarre.

All pretty simple. I find them good when touring and it may have popped into my mind to start the thread after seeing (but not got round to reading yet) a piece on the wonderful

https://tomsbiketrip.com/

on pubs and UK touring.

Back to the thread.
Last edited by Sweep on 13 Jun 2018, 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Jun 2018, 4:36pm

PH wrote:They're often used as Audax controls, they can handle the numbers, often have reasonably secure bike parking, decent coffee and are open fairly early in the morning. I'm riding from one in Lichfield on Sunday, it's opening earlier than normal to accommodate us.
The Weatherspoons rep is welcome to contact me via PM with offers of free beer vouchers.

Yes,I know an overnight London bike ride from last year used a London one for those very reasons.

Am also a coffee hound and I think their coffee pretty decent. In order to avoid the suspicions of some of the curious folk on here, I won't be naming any coffee brands.

oh - just noticed that you said they are opening earlier than normal - that's nice - tend not to associate that sort of initiative/freedom of action with chains.
Sweep

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 4:48pm

Sweep wrote:What. A denial is a classic defence? Agree.

I repeat this is not a plant - I did not accept payment to start the thread, any more than my countless posts asking questions about bike bits.

Actually, if you look back, that is not a repeat, but the first actual denial.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Jun 2018, 4:55pm

OK I was being a bit facetious. But I am still angry about Weatherspoon's attitudes: not least of them this.
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 4:55pm

Sweep wrote:Am also a coffee hound and I think their coffee pretty decent. In order to avoid the suspicions of some of the curious folk on here, I won't be naming any coffee brands.

Probably best not to name that one if it's who I think it is because unlike their compatriots Segafredo, illy and Saeco, I don't think they've sponsored much cycling lately. That's probably why cycling-unfriendly Whetherspoons like them ;-)

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 13 Jun 2018, 5:00pm

The local (Scarborough) 'Spoons' is the Lord Rosebury....Slap bang in the middle of town, with cycle lock rails within a few yards.

Top top TOP tip...Download the app, and get used to ordering drinks and food on it (easy, I'm 60 NOT 16).....MUCH quicker than standing at the bar and ordering.

HOWEVER.....I rarely find a really decent pint in any of them..... :roll: