Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
brynpoeth

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Jun 2018, 5:06pm

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:Am also a coffee hound and I think their coffee pretty decent. In order to avoid the suspicions of some of the curious folk on here, I won't be naming any coffee brands.

Probably best not to name that one if it's who I think it is because unlike their compatriots Segafredo, illy and Saeco, I don't think they've sponsored much cycling lately. That's probably why cycling-unfriendly Whetherspoons like them ;-)

+1 for Sweep, he is a real cyclist!
+2 for puns
+3 for coffee hounds
Can't contribute anything sorry because I gave up alcohol 28 years ago :wink:

I do know why the toilets are always upstairs, mind
Toilets are cost factors!
We love interesting signatures, thread drift, cycling, safety cameras, parsnips,
Steam Railway #1 +++ We hate motor crime +++ A dead tiger is still a tiger She might be asleep

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 5:07pm

SA_SA_SA wrote:
mjr wrote:...Wetherspoons is basically paying for anti-cycling politics ....

If you are going to accuse them surely you should give details of alternate news sources of this (ie other than you :) ).

I've searched a few times and I struggle now to find anything much about Tim Martin's views on anything except Brexit and related kerfuffles. I think I read it in their magazine maybe the last-but-one time I went in one (probably the Coal Orchard in Taunton, when I was early for a meeting). It really was that bad I've not been back - of course, that's easy when their Lynn and Downham pubs have no cycle parking (not even a gate to the beer garden, in the case of the Lynn one) while competitors do.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Si

Postby Si » 13 Jun 2018, 5:20pm

Have to admit that I'm a little disinclined to believe that someone would put in close on 4000 posts as a prelude to promoting a pub chain to a small number of cyclists ;-)

My experience of them ('spoons not cyclists) is that some seem quite nice others I'd not want to go near again (OK then, 'spoons and cyclists).

My local was very nice - friendly atmosphere, nice ales, good prices, OK food for that type of budget reheat menu. They had no problems with people locking bikes to the railings outside. Alas, they have just had a major make over and now have bouncers on duty at the weekends. Toilets are downstairs.

Not sure about an anti-cycling policy...last time I read the mag they had a couple of things about their pubs doing charity rides. But of course, the local pub's views need not reflect those of the chain's owner.

teamonster

Postby teamonster » 13 Jun 2018, 5:36pm

There's no point popping in for a mid ride drink now, as they are stopping serving champagne !

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 5:50pm

Si wrote:Have to admit that I'm a little disinclined to believe that someone would put in close on 4000 posts as a prelude to promoting a pub chain to a small number of cyclists ;-)

That wasn't the accusation. Am I the only person here to get messages offering to pay me for posting about certain products? (which I've always declined so far) Maybe that's because most of you don't have your websites shown when I hover over "contact" (I do and then you can click "Contact" to eventually find my contact form) and I don't remember getting an offer by on-site PM.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 13 Jun 2018, 5:58pm

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:I am a bit of fan of spoons for all sorts of reasons.

I hate them because of the political nuttery they fund, including anti-cycling rants IIRC.f proper Norfolk pubs or cafes rather than dull dull chains, let me know where you're heading and I'll tell you what I think are the current cycling haunts.

How far do we take the politics?

Stop buying Bell, Giro, Blackburn and CamelBak because of their parent Company's pro gun rants and the fact they are part of one of the biggest gun and arms manufacturers in the US with a £500,000 contribution to the pro gun lobby

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 13 Jun 2018, 6:10pm

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:I am a bit of fan of spoons for all sorts of reasons.

I hate them because of the political nuttery they fund, including anti-cycling rants IIRC.

Sweep wrote:.....
I am well aware of some folks' objections to them for all sorts of reasons, some of them not very creditable.

Am interested in beer, pubs, charging, relaxing etc......

Just as long as you don't want Champagne or a wide range of beers
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/13/wetherspoons-to-sell-more-non-eu-drinks-in-run-up-to-brexit wrote:Wetherspoon to ditch champagne and German beer before Brexit
Pub chain’s pro-Brexit chairman says new sourcing will save customers money
Champagne and wheat beers produced in France and Germany will be replaced. Sparkling wines from the UK and Australia will be substituted for champagne, while more UK wheat beers will be sold.

The switch will affect all 880 Wetherspoon pubs from 9 July.

So no politics going on there then! (other than an EU hating Chairman ditching established product from the EU).

Ian

F70100

Postby F70100 » 13 Jun 2018, 6:18pm

Anyway, our local cycle group used Wetherspoons "The Willow Tree" in Stowmarket recently for a lunch stop on a recent Sunday and found easy to use. Railings round the back to secure bikes to.

Finding pubs to accommodate us on a Sunday is becoming more difficult as the good ones only want to serve a full roast, and don't want a couple of tables clogged up with folks only wanting a sandwich and a pint.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 6:33pm

F70100 wrote:Anyway, our local cycle group used Wetherspoons "The Willow Tree" in Stowmarket recently for a lunch stop on a recent Sunday and found easy to use. Railings round the back to secure bikes to.

Finding pubs to accommodate us on a Sunday is becoming more difficult as the good ones only want to serve a full roast, and don't want a couple of tables clogged up with folks only wanting a sandwich and a pint.

1. I'm glad you agree that Wetherspoons isn't one of "the good ones" :lol:
2. Couldn't you at least order a sandwich and a pint each? ;-)
3. Or failing that, head to a cafe, although some of those have gone all silly roast-dinners-only lately too (mostly garden centre ones).

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 13 Jun 2018, 7:40pm

No one has mentioned that W'spoons are branching out into hotels. Just had a look on the web at a few and they are doing rooms from £39, which sounds reasonable. Add to that a couple of pints and a meal for a tenner and it sounds a lot more reasonable than many stopovers. No idea about taking bikes in,which could be a fly in the proverbial.

Banning champagne is hardly a big deal in a W'spoons. I can't imagine they sell much. Do they do Prosecco?

Although the decent beer revival was spearheaded by CAMRA, W'spoons have certainly done their bit to promote it and at very good prices. For this they deserve some credit.

For the record I strongly disagree with owner Tim's pro Brexit sentiments, although this doesn't stop my occasional use. I have never heard anything anti cycling about them.

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 13 Jun 2018, 7:57pm

mjr wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:
mjr wrote:...Wetherspoons is basically paying for anti-cycling politics ....

If you are going to accuse them surely you should give details of alternate news sources of this (ie other than you :) ).

I've searched a few times and I struggle now to find anything much about Tim Martin's views on anything except Brexit and related kerfuffles.

So you basically made this up and derailed the thread with a load of baseless accusations and offtopic unsubstantiated rants.

FWIW, Mr. Martin's political views seem to be largely confined to the euro and other aspects of being opposed to the EU.

From 2002: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... opeanunion

Apart from drinking beer, he seems to like playing squash, going to the gym, dogs, walking, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tim- ... -8vv3x5qkn and visiting his pubs. I do not think he is a cyclist, but there is no evidence that he has some sort of antipathy towards cycling, nor that he is some sort of Clarkson-style Mr. Toad blasting cyclists off the road (he drives an old (2005) Volvo).

mongoose

Postby mongoose » 13 Jun 2018, 8:33pm

Our cycling group, all retired, regularly stop at different Wetherspoons on our group rides. We find the service is quick, the food reasonable, the coffee [ with free refills] brilliant and very good value. Some of the group, particularly the ladies, would not have dreamt of going into a Wetherspoons before they joined our rides, but we never have a complaint when that is suggested for a stop.

On local rides we have visited Wetherspoons in Andover, Alton, Guildford, Poole, Winchester and Worthing. Further afield on rides we have tried Barnstaple, Okehampton [and stayed overnight at that one], Southport, Glossop and Doncaster and all OK. We are booked in overnight at the one in Ripon when we are up that way in September.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 13 Jun 2018, 8:46pm

will reply to some of the points tomorrow, I fear there may be a flurry of posts from me as I never got my head round the multiquote thing so there will be lots of separate ones.

Happy that the thread has taken a more positive/constructive turn.

May offer one liner assessments of some I have visited/sat in on my cycling travels.

For now, it's clear that I am not the only outdoor pursuits fan:

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/maps/pub ... poons.html

If anyone by the by wants an uptodate gpx of their outlets - handy for dropping into a garmin or OSMand, PM me,
Sweep

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2018, 9:45pm

thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:I've searched a few times and I struggle now to find anything much about Tim Martin's views on anything except Brexit and related kerfuffles.

So you basically made this up and derailed the thread with a load of baseless accusations and offtopic unsubstantiated rants.

I made nothing up and as others noted, not baseless. Unsubstantiated at this time, I'll agree, but the rest of that is baseless.

FWIW, Mr. Martin's political views seem to be largely confined to the euro and other aspects of being opposed to the EU.

I doubt that. I think it's just that you've not been able to find anything online on his views about cycling either, so have made up that he's OK with it!

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 14 Jun 2018, 6:27am

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:I hate them because of the political nuttery they fund, including anti-cycling rants IIRC.

[

Well still all ears to hear about their funded anti cycling rants. I too searched and found nothing.
To clarify again my title it was a request for info on spoons which are particularly handy for cyclists, particularly appreciated ones. The core benefits of them all for touring I mentioned above.
If anyone has any info on whether there is free not through the pub access to the nice looking garden at the new whalebone in downham market I would also be interested.

Such gardens clearly handy as no need to fully lock or partially unload the tourer.

One of the best spoons gardens i know (they are not common) is the one at the fox on the hill, denmark hill, south london. Cycling commuter route, nice view of london including the london eye. Factoid: richard burton and liz taylor at the height of their 60s fame/ notoriety once spent a sunday lunchtime there. Pre its spoons period of course.
Last edited by Sweep on 14 Jun 2018, 6:38am, edited 4 times in total.
Sweep