Choosing touring tyres

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MarcusT

Choosing touring tyres

Post by MarcusT »

About to buy a new set of tyres. In the past I have used 1.5" (38c) and found them fine, but I would like to go wider. My bike can fit up to 42 and was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between to 2 sizes?
In regards to:
Load bearing
Comfort
Handling

Thank you

Cheers!
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Tigerbiten

Re: Choosing touring tyres

Post by Tigerbiten »

Are you going for the same make of tyre but wider or a different make ??

Wider tyres can be run at a slightly lower pressure to increase comfort.
But if the sidewalls are stiffer then you may not feel any difference.
If it's a different make then the different rubber compound may slightly affect handling.
You probably won't feel any difference after a week with the new tyres but the only real answer is to try them.

Sorry ......... :cry:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

All things are relative.

Wider tyes may add extra stability if you are heavily laden (i'm talking loads of 20kg plus) Of course, any extra comfort from running low psi may be negated as you'll need extra psi for the heavier load. The wider tyre on the front will tend to make the steering a bit draggy at slow speeds.

Whether any of this actually matters to you only you will know. Unless you are going full expedition on unmade surfaces I wouldn't go bigger than 38 and along with that stick to tyres with minimal tread.

Just for the record, my full on touring set up (@15'kg/ of luggage/tent) runs on Gatorskin 28's at around 80psi and will cope with fairly arduous off tarmac without issue and in some comfort. It's also quite nimble on the road allowing fast pothole dodging and confident cornering characteristics. I have used wider tyres in the past but TBH have found no advantage whatsoever for my riding - ie tarmac, rail lines and bridleways.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I use 26" 1.75" Marathons seems ok to me on & off road on tracks
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are very popular with tourers. The 1.6 is quite balloon-y, seems a fair bit wider than the 1.5s I used to use.

Although a near slick tyre, they seem to handle off road fairly well. Just rode mine along 12kms of jungle trail with no ill effects.

NB Mercalia, there are lots of different Marathons, you need to specify which.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

simonhill wrote:The Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are very popular with tourers. The 1.6 is quite balloon-y, seems a fair bit wider than the 1.5s I used to use.

Although a near slick tyre, they seem to handle off road fairly well. Just rode mine along 12kms of jungle trail with no ill effects.

And they are relatively light in weight!

Mike
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Mike_Ayling wrote:
simonhill wrote:The Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are very popular with tourers. The 1.6 is quite balloon-y, seems a fair bit wider than the 1.5s I used to use.

And they are relatively light in weight!

Mike

I like them.
But they don't make them in the 406 size anymore ......... :cry:
PH

Post by PH »

MarcusT wrote:About to buy a new set of tyres. In the past I have used 1.5" (38c) and found them fine, but I would like to go wider. My bike can fit up to 42 and was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between to 2 sizes?
In regards to:
Load bearing
Comfort
Handling

Thank you

Cheers!

There's not much information to go on there!
What wheel size? Touring where? What sort of load? How is it loaded?
It may be that the optimal front and rear tyre are not the same, although I know a lot of folk are wedded tot he idea that tyres have to be a matched pair...
I like the Supreme for my 700C general purpose bike, I usually run 35mm rear and 32 front and it works fine for me. For a faster lightweight tour, it'll probably be a 32 Supreme on the back and a 28 GP4S on the front, for a heavier tour with a fair bit of track anticipated, I like the standard Marathons where you can still get them ( Spa currently have the 40mm on offer at £8 which is a real bargain) For a specific tour I may change the tyres as part of the pre-tour service, but most of my touring is a few days at a time and I'll use whatever is already on the bike.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the basic ones - I have a Green on the back and its predecessor, with the kevlar, on the front. They are proving very durable. And the price is decent at about £16 each
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Thanks for the input. I am going to have to try them out (on other bikes)....or buy them all and see what I like best :P
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I use 1.75 for around town and country tracks.
I used 2" for my Pamir Highway trip. Lots of tough road surfaces.
Only down side was they were so so slow on tarmac. Like pedaling with the brakes on!
But that was a good price to pay.
No punctures??
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.