Billy no mates, channel to the med

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Re: Billy no mates, channel to the med

Postby bigjim » 21 Sep 2019, 8:06pm

Sweep wrote:
bigjim wrote: I'm up North so the ferry is not convenient.

Well you could always incorporate a bit of uk cycling tour into the trip? Lots of interesting routes to down south.
Can recommend london northwestern trains for getting self and bike from crewe to london.

It's the time not the distance. I don't go away for more than 8 days at a time. Miss the family too much. I'm a useless loner. :)
Nothing left to prove.

Andrew-l

Postby Andrew-l » 1 Oct 2019, 9:25pm

Just wondering about which direction you're going to pick - is there a prevailing wind / gradient to the route?

yostumpy

Postby yostumpy » 1 Oct 2019, 10:24pm

They always say that' you travel the most, when you cover the least distance'

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 2 Oct 2019, 2:09pm

Andrew-l wrote:Just wondering about which direction you're going to pick - is there a prevailing gradient to the route?

No - it's sea level both ends :)

Andrew-l

Postby Andrew-l » 3 Oct 2019, 3:40pm

andrew_s wrote:
Andrew-l wrote:Just wondering about which direction you're going to pick - is there a prevailing gradient to the route?

No - it's sea level both ends :)

Haha. I walked into that one. Just back from doing a chunk of the EV6 so still had my head in that space.

What about wind? I keep hearing things about the Mistral, but presumably that is further east?

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 3 Oct 2019, 4:59pm

You can follow the Rhone to the South or the Garonne and Midi canals so wind not much of a problem as it's quite sheltered and flat. Can get a bit boring though.
Nothing left to prove.

RickH

Postby RickH » 10 Oct 2019, 12:05am

bigjim wrote:
Sweep wrote:
bigjim wrote: I'm up North so the ferry is not convenient.

Well you could always incorporate a bit of uk cycling tour into the trip? Lots of interesting routes to down south.
Can recommend london northwestern trains for getting self and bike from crewe to london.

It's the time not the distance. I don't go away for more than 8 days at a time. Miss the family too much. I'm a useless loner. :)

When I did a French end to end I think I left home around 6 to 7am, cycled (about 30-40 minutes) to Wigan to catch a train to London, then train to Dover. I was in Dover by midday, to meet the rest of the party, & in Calais a couple of hours later followed by an hour or so gentle cycle to the day's destination campsite.

A flight may seem short if it is only an hour or so but there is the travel to the airport &, usually to somewhere at the other end. That could easily be an hour, or more, at each end. If you cycle to &/or from the airport there is the additional time for packing/unpacking your bike. Then there is the 2 hours you need to allow at the departure airport to get checked in & through security. Your one hour flight can end up being 5 hours door-to-door.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 10 Oct 2019, 8:16am

Good points rick.
I hate flying even without a bike because of the hassle.
Doesn't feel like travelling to me - just lots of hanging around, shuffling forward, standing in line, waiting to be called. And you often see nowt when up in the air.
Sweep

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 10 Oct 2019, 10:45am

Yep. Even if the flight's only an hour, the journey door-to-door usually takes most of a day.

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 10 Oct 2019, 11:21am

nirakaro wrote:Yep. Even if the flight's only an hour, the journey door-to-door usually takes most of a day.

I don't live far from the airport and using my OP pass on the tram and train I get there and back for free and can take the bike on the train. I can also ride there if I wish. I don't mind hanging around in airports that much as I can read, people watch or snooze. I've found changing trains with a bike a bit of a pain, then taking a ferry. It's three changes lugging a bike. Once the bike is checked in at the airport I'm done with it. I think any travel with a bike is a hassle though. Much rather just ride from my front door. :)
Nothing left to prove.

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 10 Oct 2019, 11:26am

bigjim wrote: I think any travel with a bike is a hassle though. Much rather just ride from my front door. :)

Agreed.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 10 Oct 2019, 11:27am

bigjim wrote:
nirakaro wrote:Yep. Even if the flight's only an hour, the journey door-to-door usually takes most of a day.

I don't live far from the airport and using my OP pass on the tram and train I get there and back for free and can take the bike on the train. I can also ride there if I wish. I don't mind hanging around in airports that much as I can read, people watch or snooze. I've found changing trains with a bike a bit of a pain, then taking a ferry. It's three changes lugging a bike. Once the bike is checked in at the airport I'm done with it. I think any travel with a bike is a hassle though. Much rather just ride from my front door. :)

with your need to stay close to family bigjim I think I'd do more touring in this country - lots of suggestions for areas in another recent thread. And lots of the nicest places are of course in your patch of the country :)
Sweep

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 10 Oct 2019, 1:05pm

Sweep wrote:
bigjim wrote:

with your need to stay close to family bigjim I think I'd do more touring in this country - lots of suggestions for areas in another recent thread. And lots of the nicest places are of course in your patch of the country :)

Yes very true. I've done quite a few in the UK. The longest one I did was when I was 14 with the defunct YHA club. As we all know the UK traffic is the bugbear and I can get into good touring days from my front door, but I have a few miles of urban madness to negotiate. France is always my favourite touring destination though. In Europe I'll always hire a bike if possible. Have we drifted off thread? :)
Nothing left to prove.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 10 Oct 2019, 3:23pm

Very probably :)
Thanks for taking my post in the spirit in which it was meant.
Pm me and i will send info on a british bike train bargain.
Not to be shared.
Sweep