Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by Jamesh »

thirdcrank wrote: 9 May 2021, 3:20pm
The really important question is will we Brits be allowed into Yorkshire?
There is quite a lot of it and with differing rules. I'm only going by media releases AKA spin, but North Yorkshire seemed to be the place where government covid guidance was rigorously enforced as though it were the law. That policing by social media has switched to drink/driving and speeding motorcyclists.
Don't forget Derbyshire north Wales and Devon!!

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Don't forget Derbyshire north Wales and Devon!!
I haven't, but the really important question referred to Yorkshire.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Surely after next Monday you can go anywhere, do anything? The election bounce. We now know that the virus voted conservative.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Government ‘must explain how Covid-19 passports will be used’":
https://www.digitalhealth.net/2021/05/g ... l-be-used/

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

As I feared earlier, the rise of the "Indian" variant is a cause of concern for international travel. Apparently Germany is about to classify the UK as a dangerous destination.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Independent SAGE today:

"Six point plan for dealing with the B.1.617.2 variant"
https://www.independentsage.org/six-poi ... 2-variant/

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

That is a grim analysis and a series of wise proposals. The proposals may be politically unattractive, however. As always, German response is swift but I wonder what my government will do: wait again until a decision becomes unavoidable?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

This isn't looking good for collaboration and interoperability:

"British tourists to EU may have to quarantine even if vaccinated"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vaccinated

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Yes a measure of interoperability and reciprocity would be convenient, of course. From what I read, however, the provisos were primarily concerned with virus mutations rather than any politics. If the UK or any other country does not get e.g. the spread of the Indian variant under control, it makes sense for other countries to remain restrictive.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Germany has indeed declared the UK a country with a variant of concern. Most Brits will be completely barred and those who can go because they live in Germany will have to quarantine for two weeks - the same applies to Germans returning home.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Still dithering about booking a couple of weeks touring in September. Route is pretty much planned as The Rhone route/EV17 from the top of the furkapass (if I'm remembering the right pass) to Marseille.

Only concerns now are (a) whether Switzerland and France will be accepting UK visitors then and (b) whether I should go in terms of containing covid etc.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

France is likely to open up sooner rather than later, and infection rates are rapidly coming down everywhere in Europe. That is the good bit. The worrying part is the spread of the Indian mutation in the UK. This has already made Germany decide to stop almost all travel from the UK, and other EU countries may soon follow. In short, it is hard to tell and much will depend on the success of the UK vaccination campaign, or the spread of this variant in the EU: if it is already widespread in the EU there is little point in banning travel. Watching Dominic Cummings today I have this uncomforatble feeling that the UK government's handling of the Indian variant issue shows too many similarities with Februari 2020.
EDIT: France has just imposed quarantine for travellers from the UK.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

willem jongman wrote: 26 May 2021, 1:52pm France is likely to open up sooner rather than later, and infection rates are rapidly coming down everywhere in Europe. That is the good bit. The worrying part is the spread of the Indian mutation in the UK. This has already made Germany decide to stop almost all travel from the UK, and other EU countries may soon follow. In short, it is hard to tell and much will depend on the success of the UK vaccination campaign, or the spread of this variant in the EU: if it is already widespread in the EU there is little point in banning travel. Watching Dominic Cummings today I have this uncomforatble feeling that the UK government's handling of the Indian variant issue shows too many similarities with Februari 2020.
EDIT: France has just imposed quarantine for travellers from the UK.
1. Agreed about the Indian mutation spread in the UK- it’s a risk.
2 Given travel it is probably already spreading in Europe but depends on the level of analysis of different variants- so we will need to see what comes out of the labs.
3. UK vaccination take up extraordinarily high so fingers crossed that part is ok. Now vax is going for the over 30s so we should be vaccinating 20s in June.
4 hopefully the vaccine is effective against all variants but who knows what will happen next
5. Agreed- the ability of the UK regime not to learn from their mistakes is endless.
6. Noted re France- who knows what it will happen next? (Which of course is the argument against travelling).
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The future remains hard to predict, but the vaccines seem effective against the 'Indian" variant as well. Here in the Netherlands that variant has been spotted, but thus far only in small numbers. With the mRNA vaccines it is also really easy to tweek them for mutations, and in the Netherlands we have mostly used those types. As for vaccination take up, that is high here as well: thus far about 95% for the over 55s. We are now vaccinating the last over 50s, and are about to begin with the 40-49 year olds. Vaccine supplies are now plenty, with about 1.5 milion doses a week for a country with some 13 million people over the age of 18. Therefore the interval between first and second doses has now been shortened to the originally recommended period. By Sunday evening about 9.5 million doses will have been administered. In short, we will meet the planning that everyone over 18 can have had a first jab by early July (I think we will actually beat that date), and perhaps two thirds already a second one. Most other EU countries are on a similar schedule, with Germany doing even a bit better than the Netherlands.
So, all of this looks good, as does the UK vaccination take up, but mutations can spoil the party, and so can UK unwillingness to join the digital Green Passport in one way or another. But who knows, you may have a new prime minister next week.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Netherlands are now beginning to vaccinate birth years 1979 and 1980. Infections and hospital admissions are very much down, and so are ICU admissions. Unfortunately the Indian variant may limit travel from the UK.