Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Paulatic

Re: Travelling with a touring bike on a train in the uk

Post by Paulatic »

Steve X wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:02am When traveling in future, if I wish to make an advance booking I think I will go to a train station and do this as the booking agents seem to be able to access the seats and bikes availability more easily than I can. We have a train station about 7 miles away.
Thats good it keeps my son in work :D
He advised me years ago to use a web page rather than the an app. Some apps don’t show bike booking tick box.
Steve X wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:02am Lancaster to Ravenglass - 2 Bike + 2 disabled spaces, which cannot be booked.
Was using that line a few times a couple of weeks ago. Pleased to see how well used it is with bikes it’s a great asset for cyclists living there. Number of bikes on board worked out OK but I think one trip it’s as well I was getting off at GoS as others waiting to board there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

It would be nice if there could be a Cycle friendly link up between Bootle and Ravenglass as the whole coast from Liverpool right to Carlisle seems very bike friendly, but we did not fancy the stretch fro Bootle to Ravnglass, with the Steep hill combined with the A road that does seem to get the occasional impatient driver hustling up the coast. A cycle/foot bridge over the Esk would be sweet.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

"A guards van on every train that could take 10 or 15 bikes would be the dream, but I suspect that if that happened then bikes would no longer be free."
I wouldn't mind paying if it meant I could be assured of a place for my bike. As for the 'guards van': Is there such a thing anymore? When I asked GWR about shipping my bike box up to Thurso or Inverness from Penzance to pick up after my ride I was told, "We don't have that facility any longer".
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

..and yet the yarn is spun that we now live in a service industry. Actually, you know what - the more I learn, the more I find out, the more it dawns on me that yes we are in a service industry for sure and that industry is to make the shareholders as much money as possible and that, far from being the customers - it turns out we're the product!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:35am
Steve X wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:02am When traveling in future, if I wish to make an advance booking I think I will go to a train station and do this as the booking agents seem to be able to access the seats and bikes availability more easily than I can. We have a train station about 7 miles away.
Thats good it keeps my son in work
He advised me years ago to use a web page rather than the an app. Some apps don’t show bike booking tick box.
The reorganisation provides a great opportunity for improvement... responsibility for ticketing will be centralised:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Railways

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Steve X wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:02am We travelled on the train three times recently.

Personally I think the system works pretty well. A guards van on every train that could take 10 or 15 bikes would be the dream, but I suspect that if that happened then bikes would no longer be free.
Personally I think the whole thing sounds shambolic and very hit and miss. If it's like that at the moment what's it going to be like in the summer? I would happily pay a reasonable fee to carry a bike in a guards van.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Steve X wrote:We travelled on the train three times recently.

Preston to Lancaster - 2 spaces on a busy train, could not book, which we bagged. The guard, entered train and asked the people sitting on the flap down seats to move so we could position bikes. Good experience.

At Lancaster had to move to other platform over bridges with stairs which was difficult with loaded tourers. Large gentleman picked up my wife's bike one handed, job sorted.

Lancaster to Ravenglass - 2 Bike + 2 disabled spaces, which cannot be booked. We bagged spaces 2 and 3. If a disable person had arrived they had priority on disable spaces. Shortly after we arrived 4 more cyclists arrived and the entrance was cluttered, to the extent my wife thought it unsafe. Conductor got agitated and there was a bit of a stand off. All bikes stayed on, but IMHO the later cyclists were unhelpful, though they were stressed as they wanted to get to start of cycle trip.

Carlisle back to Preston. Arrived at Carlisle only be told that we MUST book bikes on train. I got in a flap, but the Aviva man in the ticket office was extremely helpful and apologetic we would have to wait for 90 minutes for first train with space for two bikes. Train was a Carlisle to London Mainline thing and bikes went in guard van type arrangement, with space for 4 bikes, which was not a lot for such a huge train. At next stop cyclist without bike booking got on, and was ejected at next station when two cyclists with bookings got on. He left with good grace.

All in all an excellent experience, which I doubt would be bettered by European trains. All train staff at all points where superb. All trains where clean and bright.

When traveling in future, if I wish to make an advance booking I think I will go to a train station and do this as the booking agents seem to be able to access the seats and bikes availability more easily than I can. We have a train station about 7 miles away.

Personally I think the system works pretty well. A guards van on every train that could take 10 or 15 bikes would be the dream, but I suspect that if that happened then bikes would no longer be free.

We have a Two Together Rail Card, which has already paid for itself.
Had a cycle reservation booked last night coming back from doing part of the King Alfred's Way. Once every 2 hour train due at 1904. Message board showed as on time and the train progressing through the station's until 1902 when it was cancelled.

No way to ring GWR, their number takes you to National Rail's call centre.

So after pointing out to the chap that no, we weren't prepared to wait 3.5 hours for a train that might run and would necessitate a 9 hour stopover on a bench ona platform, he promised to ring us back with alternative arrangements within 10 mins. Sill waiting nearly 24 hours later.

All the stranded passengers had to chip in for a minibus.

British trains are a joke, and completely unreliable, especially if you are unfortunate enough to only have weekends available for leisure travel.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Scotrail claim to be introducing the first 'active travel carriages' on the West Highland line this year. Covid has apparently delayed driver training.
"The Class 153 carriages have been especially designed to support active travel, by providing people with the space and storage needed to comfortably take their bikes, skis, or other sporting gear with them on their journey. Each carriage has a total of 20 individual bike racks as well as designated seating for 24 people....

Initially, they will run along the stunning West Highland Line from Glasgow to Oban. Then we hope to extend the service to Fort William and Mallaig, and in time, look at bringing the concept to all corners of Scotland. " (my bold)
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/class-153#
No mention of ticket prices, but will be a game changer if it comes off.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I have tweeted scotrail a couple of times recently about the introduction of these services. They have completely ignored them...
I was on oban recently and took the opportunity of asking a driver what was going on. He confirmed that their introduction had been delayed, but was unable to confirm when it might actually happen.
If anyone's out and about on the west highland line and could provide further details it would be most welcome.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Other websites report they're out doing test runs: checking they fit in platforms and so on.

There are another 20 or so of the base carriages (PRM-inaccessible class 153) available, but maybe not all are in good enough condition to convert and they will probably be sold as scrap if orders aren't placed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

We regularly travel London-Edinburgh with bikes and always go to the station to book tickets. Usually the agent is able to hold the seat reservation then book the bikes onto the same train (and often then change the seat reservation so we are near the bikes :D ) and then we pay. Last time, they made us book and pay for the seats first, then checked the bikes and realised that the bike spaces were already taken (unusual), so they had to do it all again for the next train.
RickH

Post by RickH »

st599_uk wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 5:22pm
Steve X wrote:We travelled on the train three times recently.

Preston to Lancaster - 2 spaces on a busy train, could not book, which we bagged. The guard, entered train and asked the people sitting on the flap down seats to move so we could position bikes. Good experience.

At Lancaster had to move to other platform over bridges with stairs which was difficult with loaded tourers. Large gentleman picked up my wife's bike one handed, job sorted.

Lancaster to Ravenglass - 2 Bike + 2 disabled spaces, which cannot be booked. We bagged spaces 2 and 3. If a disable person had arrived they had priority on disable spaces. Shortly after we arrived 4 more cyclists arrived and the entrance was cluttered, to the extent my wife thought it unsafe. Conductor got agitated and there was a bit of a stand off. All bikes stayed on, but IMHO the later cyclists were unhelpful, though they were stressed as they wanted to get to start of cycle trip.

Carlisle back to Preston. Arrived at Carlisle only be told that we MUST book bikes on train. I got in a flap, but the Aviva man in the ticket office was extremely helpful and apologetic we would have to wait for 90 minutes for first train with space for two bikes. Train was a Carlisle to London Mainline thing and bikes went in guard van type arrangement, with space for 4 bikes, which was not a lot for such a huge train. At next stop cyclist without bike booking got on, and was ejected at next station when two cyclists with bookings got on. He left with good grace.

All in all an excellent experience, which I doubt would be bettered by European trains. All train staff at all points where superb. All trains where clean and bright.

When traveling in future, if I wish to make an advance booking I think I will go to a train station and do this as the booking agents seem to be able to access the seats and bikes availability more easily than I can. We have a train station about 7 miles away.

We have a Two Together Rail Card, which has already paid for itself.
Had a cycle reservation booked last night coming back from doing part of the King Alfred's Way. Once every 2 hour train due at 1904. Message board showed as on time and the train progressing through the station's until 1902 when it was cancelled.

No way to ring GWR, their number takes you to National Rail's call centre.

So after pointing out to the chap that no, we weren't prepared to wait 3.5 hours for a train that might run and would necessitate a 9 hour stopover on a bench ona platform, he promised to ring us back with alternative arrangements within 10 mins. Sill waiting nearly 24 hours later.

All the stranded passengers had to chip in for a minibus.

British trains are a joke, and completely unreliable, especially if you are unfortunate enough to only have weekends available for leisure travel.
That's pretty poor (to put it mildly). Do you know what the reason was, it is usually something drastic that causes a sudden cancellation mid run.

In my personal experience, the trains mostly run incident free, whether with or without a bike) & reasonably on time. For the last month I've been getting back to my regular bike & train trips (generally at least weekly to/from Chester, usually 2 trains each way unless I ride 15 miles each way to get a direct service). It is at least as predictable as doing the trip by car, which I was doing for several months oreviously. And not much slower either.

I must admit I'm generally travelling "turn up & go" rather than prebooked & I do tend to consult the national rail app & realtimetrains.co.uk for potential delays & cancellations before setting off.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Pendodave wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 6:31pm I have tweeted scotrail a couple of times recently about the introduction of these services. They have completely ignored them...
I was on oban recently and took the opportunity of asking a driver what was going on. He confirmed that their introduction had been delayed, but was unable to confirm when it might actually happen.
If anyone's out and about on the west highland line and could provide further details it would be most welcome.
Came across this on Twitter just now

https://twitter.com/leecraigie_/status/ ... 60384?s=19
Lee Craigie wrote:I joined Ross from @SustransScot at Queen St Station today to help test out @ScotRail ‘s new adventure carriages. These are going to be a game changer for sustainable adventuring this summer!

_20210617_185648.JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No mudguards and short handlebars... that will fit in easy. At least it has wide tyres, which would fail the Hitachi hooks.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:33pm No mudguards and short handlebars... that will fit in easy. At least it has wide tyres, which would fail the Hitachi hooks.
I've never liked the idea of hanging my bike on a hook, particularly being shaken a bit by a moving train. But also never been in a situation where it's required. Is it a safe way to treat a bike? (we still have wheel bender racks in some supermarkets, etc.)

Ian