Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pendodave

Re: Travelling with a touring bike on a train in the uk

Post by Pendodave »

mattheus wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 2:38pm
PH wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 1:52pm I don't have experience of the GWR twitter service, but with CrossCountry on facebook they're not asking for a train booking reference, so I can get the bike reservation before purchasing the ticket (Usually while it's in the website basket)
Can they cancel it if you then choose to book a seat on a different train?

Can they cancel if they realise you've* booked your bike on 5 trains, then bought an open ticket to give yourself flexibility?!?

*A hyptotehtical, less ethical "you", of course!
Your bike reservation (and seat reservations) have reference numbers on them which can be used to cancel them by the various channels (stations,WhatsApp,Twitter, phone etc). I think it's our responsibility to others to do this. Of course, you can't see whether they've actually been cancelled or not, but I always make a point of encouraging the operator to follow through by asking specifically that they do.
The reference number will be on all bookings - electronic or paper.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

In rather depressing news for those of us who believe in a functioning transport system (or were hoping to use trains to tour) I've heard that avanti are planning to reduce their service substantially for the next 6 weeks because....
... well because they can, I guess. Reason given is unavailability of staff due to self isolation.
Personally I've not seem that many cancellations atm.
I've no idea about other long distance operators.

Trouble with our new railway management arrangements is that operating companies get paid regardless, and let's not think too hard about how much our current elected representatives care about public transport...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pendodave wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 5:08pm Reason given is unavailability of staff due to self isolation.
Personally I've not seem that many cancellations atm.
I've no idea about other long distance operators.
Thameslink/Southern/GN have also announced reductions for the same reason. I think Anglia are still reduced slightly from the last lockdown months ago.

I expect any that haven't been hit already soon will be reducing services due to lack of crews, as summer holidays also have an effect on being able to cover for numbers actually ill, not just isolating now that Boris has said it's fine to infect a train or bus load as long as you can fake a negative test each morning.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pendodave wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:39pm
mattheus wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 2:38pm
PH wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 1:52pm I don't have experience of the GWR twitter service, but with CrossCountry on facebook they're not asking for a train booking reference, so I can get the bike reservation before purchasing the ticket (Usually while it's in the website basket)
Can they cancel it if you then choose to book a seat on a different train?

Can they cancel if they realise you've* booked your bike on 5 trains, then bought an open ticket to give yourself flexibility?!?

*A hyptotehtical, less ethical "you", of course!
Your bike reservation (and seat reservations) have reference numbers on them which can be used to cancel them by the various channels (stations,WhatsApp,Twitter, phone etc). I think it's our responsibility to others to do this. Of course, you can't see whether they've actually been cancelled or not, but I always make a point of encouraging the operator to follow through by asking specifically that they do.
The reference number will be on all bookings - electronic or paper.
Thanks, didn't realise that (partly as I've never cancelled a ticket either).
Well done you - but the system shouldn't make us vulnerable to other idiots. :(
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Inside a Scotland Bike train carriage:
4E4240E7-B25E-4BFB-BC59-3A585D188093.jpeg
John
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Interesting picture, but those bikes would take up a lot less space if they were hung up by the front wheel. More space, more bikes!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Some of us struggle to hook them up.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

High hooks quite common in SNCF rolling stock. They're good from the pov of getting more bikes in each designated carriage but can be a bit of a struggle to use - tourers have to lose luggage unless you're good & strong. Also bit dodgy with small wheel bikes as smaller gap between spokes means mounting onto hook can be irksome. I took to taking with me a short rope loop to facilitate the manouevre. Of course, if carriage largely empty, when off-peak / rural route, there's no necessity to heave the bike up onto the hook...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 3:54pm Some of us struggle to hook them up.
When I've used that route in the past, the train staff have loaded the bikes, irrespective of whether the rider looked capable capable of doing so or not. Though the weight of the electric bike might have been a struggle and they'd have had a job to hang that tandem up! Also Simon's point about luggage, I'd be happier to leave it on loaded like that than I would with it hung up.
Maybe this storage better caters for all, I'd be happy to use it, in fact I'm looking forward to it.
beeb

Post by beeb »

Pity they don't get this carriage on the Inverness to Edinburgh line. Bike provision last week on the line was shocking.
mjr

Post by mjr »

beeb wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:10am Pity they don't get this carriage on the Inverness to Edinburgh line. Bike provision last week on the line was shocking.
What provision did you get and how did it shock you? I thought Inverness to Edinburgh was served by "Inter7city" which is old 125s that are one of the few still to have luggage van space, but free bike reservations are required.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
beeb

Post by beeb »

it was my nephew actually travelling from Aviemore to Edinburgh- age 15

there were only three carriages and the train was mobbed

the area for bikes, apparently for 4 bikes, however there were people sitting on the floor and so much luggage he had to move in front of the toilet which blocked access so he then had to stand with his bike held vertically on the back wheel so that people could visit the toilet

whatever designers design the bicycle storage on most trains it seems they don't actually go through the user experience, if they did then we would have much better solutions

eventually he managed to move it closer to where it should be, there was 1 bike there already and apparently a fat bike got on at Kincraig

he was booked to get off at Haymarket but the ticket inspector told him he would have to get off at waverley as the train was too busy

If you had been try to get on with a fully loaded touring bike it would not have been a pleasant experience

I asked the guard about the problem as they were making no effort to organise people

they said that there were too many people and that they all had too much luggage with them

I explained politely that people often have luggage when they are travelling

I do so hope that Scottish Government will heed it's promise to support sustainable travel and will indeed roll out the "adventure carriages" on to this line.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

But it's so easy. Just ring Phil.

PS wouldn't normally bother making a reservation on TfW, but there are two of us and it's a Bank Holiday weekend.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210802_184707_com.google.android.gm.jpg
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
mjr

Post by mjr »

beeb wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 10:03am it was my nephew actually travelling from Aviemore to Edinburgh- age 15

there were only three carriages and the train was mobbed
I had a rummage and found that there is a train numbered 170xxx doing some of the services on that route at the moment, as shown in https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/servic ... 2/detailed

Most Inverness-Edinburgh are shortened 125s but that one is not. It is a train type called a Turbostar. Its bike area is not bad but it's far too small a train for a busy route. They used to struggle on rural English services. Something must have gone wrong for that to be working on its own.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Would I be correct in assuming the Inverness express trains going south (London) should not experience these kind of difficulties?