Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Europe 2021

Post by willem jongman »

In the meantime Dutch infections and hospital admissions continue to decline. Last week infections were 20% lower than the week before, and today 9.3 per day per 100k inhabitants (and 5.1 per 100k in my town).
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 1:55amThe UK are no longer in the EU and thus far the Netherlands only accepts EU certificates from other EU countries unless its technical and administrative standards are met which is not yet the case with the UK.
So I fail to understand your point unless it is somehow semantic.
Let me try another way: will NL accept a certificate shown on the FR app when (as it does) the FR app has scanned an English vaccination QR code?

Please do not refer to an EU app because there is no single app, and please do not refer to the UK because England, Scotland, Wales and NI all have different health services.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I don't think it will because EU and connected countries can only relax the commonly agreed requirements for their own countries. And please do not be so aggressive when I am only trying to be as informative as I can. There is a common EU system, and it allows individual countries to accept what they deem appropriate for their own country. So e.g. Switzerland accepts Sinovac, but that does not give you rights in other countries that do not accept Sinovac.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Why worry about the App?

A paper copy/certificate will do the job.
And do it well. No techie issues!!

We do not all have such modern internet devices.

Indeed from my perspective it seems unnecessarily complicated chasing multi country compatible "Apps".
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Your UK printed document will not be accepted either.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

willem jongman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 8:24pm Your UK printed document will not be accepted either.
So what do folk who have no smart phone do?
They do still exist. Like dinosaurs.

My personal recent hassle free experience across 3 European frontiers suggests they will be accepted without any issues at all.
France Germany and Switz.
Though the latter two didn't even check my passport!!
I'll let you know about Italy!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It is all about authentication, whether with paper documents or a digital one. So in the Netherlands you can also present your printed EU QR code.
Last edited by willem jongman on 25 Sep 2021, 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

willem jongman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 9:18pm It is all about authentication, whether with paper documents or a digital one. So in the Netherlands you can also present your EU printed QR code.
Yes.
My paper copy, issued by the Welsh NHS, has codes on it. A small square and a bar code.
In conjuction with a Passport it's pretty reasonable proof of who I say I am.

I have very much valued your input from the NL Wilhelm.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 7:52pm I don't think it will because EU and connected countries can only relax the commonly agreed requirements for their own countries.
I note this is only "think" not fact.
And please do not be so aggressive when I am only trying to be as informative as I can.
No aggression. Just confusion as you seem to guess and refer to an EU app which seems not to exist.
There is a common EU system, and it allows individual countries to accept what they deem appropriate for their own country. So e.g. Switzerland accepts Sinovac, but that does not give you rights in other countries that do not accept Sinovac.
So there's a common system but no common approach, with many countries welcoming vaccinated people from England but the Netherlands still refusing without explanation.
Last edited by mjr on 27 Sep 2021, 9:40am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The explanation was given: the UK did not yet provide the information for a secure implementation.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:17pm The explanation was given: the UK did not yet provide the information for a secure implementation.
But nothing has changed AFAIK and now "From 22 September onwards, you are not required to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated" says https://www.government.nl/topics/corona ... quarantine

And it looks like Tous Anti Covid will display an EU Digital Covid Certificate if a UK NHS vaccination QR code has been scanned, but I have not verified this.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As I said somewhere upstream, a quick read of TripAdvisor forum for each and any country will reveal what is actually happening on the ground.

Pragmatism and wanting custom often seem to (may?) trump the official policy.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mjr wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:53pm
willem jongman wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:17pm The explanation was given: the UK did not yet provide the information for a secure implementation.
But nothing has changed AFAIK and now "From 22 September onwards, you are not required to quarantine if you are fully vaccinated" says https://www.government.nl/topics/corona ... quarantine

And it looks like Tous Anti Covid will display an EU Digital Covid Certificate if a UK NHS vaccination QR code has been scanned, but I have not verified this.
I have verified it and it works fine (more easily than the NHS app). I printed the NHS certificate and then uploaded it to to this anti COVID by QR code. NB in Switzerland they weren’t interested in the tous anti COVID app- they liked the Swiss one or the eu one at a hotel but my nhs one was ok to get into the country. They’d only just introduced the new system as I was leaving so I expect they’ve ironed out any problems by now.

NB France felt a lot safer than plague island here. Plus there were no shortages, the weather was great and the food was fab.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

On the EU Digital Covid Certificate, from https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... icate-work

Recognition of COVID certificates from third (non-EU) countries
So far, 16 non-EU countries (and territories) joined the EU Digital COVID Certificate system. This includes:
• Albania
• Andorra
• Switzerland
• Faroe Islands
• Israel
• Iceland
• Liechtenstein
• Morocco
• Monaco
• North Macedonia
• Norway
• Panama
• San Marino
• Turkey
• Ukraine
• The Vatican

The COVID Certificates issued in those 16 countries (and territories) are accepted in the EU under the same conditions as the EU Digital COVID Certificate. Likewise, the EU Digital COVID Certificate is accepted by those 16 countries.

As for the French situation, see here: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/comin ... cedure-for It says explicitly that the recognition only applies to French territory.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Yesterday was the first day that the Covid app or its paper equivalent was necessary to access bars, restaurants and some other public places in the Netherlands. Inevitably there were a few glitches, and one restaurant was closed because it refused to check, but by and large things went very smoothly. Most people were pleased that it allowed them more freedom and safety than before.