Along For The Ride with David O Doherty

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Re: Along For The Ride with David O Doherty

Post by Tangled Metal »

Perry turned out OK, ayoade IT guy was just his annoying self and I didn't watch last night. I guess she needed a bit of airtime so we don't completely forget her but I never appreciated her talents anyway so doubt I'd find the show with her interesting.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Can just about tolerate her and him in very small doses. Scenery is nice.
Last edited by Cowsham on 9 Dec 2021, 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 6:39am Perry turned out OK, ayoade IT guy was just his annoying self and I didn't watch last night. I guess she needed a bit of airtime so we don't completely forget her but I never appreciated her talents anyway so doubt I'd find the show with her interesting.
With Handmade (C4), Unforgivable (Dave), Hitmen (Sky) and this Christmas's Strictly, I really don't think Mel is short of airtime just now!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Nothing against Mel G but having tolerated the first episode and struggled through the second, I couldn't manage more than ten minutes of the third. I think this series has turned me off cycling a bit, but has made me more likely to buy a drone.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
peterb

Post by peterb »

I know that area in Northumberland well, and some of the 'route' was inexplicable. eg they cycled from Barter Books into Alnwick through the Bondgate Tower arch - exactly in the opposite direction to the Railway Path, some way away to the east, accessed through the Lionheart Industrial Estate beyond the A1 They had no need to cross the River Aln at the stepping stones as they would have been heading off route, and shortly after were shown emerging onto the road down to Hipsburn - they must have retraced their route back over the river and up to the cycle route - etc, etc. And so it went on, how did they cook the kippers they'd purchased just a moment before we saw them eating them in Craster? I couldn't make my self watch any more after that point ..... maybe I'll get back to it later :?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It was almost as if it was made for television, showing the viewers some of the best sights in a particular area.

...but kippers can be eaten 'au natural', if that's someone's choice.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 9:14am
Tangled Metal wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 6:39am Perry turned out OK, ayoade IT guy was just his annoying self and I didn't watch last night. I guess she needed a bit of airtime so we don't completely forget her but I never appreciated her talents anyway so doubt I'd find the show with her interesting.
With Handmade (C4), Unforgivable (Dave), Hitmen (Sky) and this Christmas's Strictly, I really don't think Mel is short of airtime just now!
I guess I have a quality threshold set too high for those programmes to register! 😆
peterb

Post by peterb »

Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 1:05pm It was almost as if it was made for television, showing the viewers some of the best sights in a particular area.

...but kippers can be eaten 'au natural', if that's someone's choice.
Indeed, kippers can be eaten uncooked, but one generally cooks them. As to the programme being made for television, yes, of course. I also know the area where the Angela Raisin series is filmed and find the often unreal discontinuity of the locations fascinating. Actually, if I do watch it is as reminder of the area I knew. But that is fiction after all ....
mjr

Post by mjr »

hufty wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 9:19am Nothing against Mel G but having tolerated the first episode and struggled through the second, I couldn't manage more than ten minutes of the third. I think this series has turned me off cycling a bit, but has made me more likely to buy a drone.
Oh well. As I've written elsewhere, it's my sort of cycle-touring, pootling around a bit, stopping to look at stuff, talking a mix of nonsense and deep stuff. It's not really about the cycling as such but it's still good that this series (unlike some others) features things that anyone could stop and do, rather than the supposedly-chance meetings with a traditional tweed-maker who invites the tourists to go make some cloth and stuff like that. But like all of these things, you can't please all of the people...

It's a bit disappointing if the editing went astray last night like peterb suggests, though!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brumster

Post by brumster »

I've watched all three programs and finding the series slightly disapointing.. kind of hoped it would be cyclings equivalent to Paul Whitehouse & Bob Mortimer's Gone Fishing ( I've no real interest in fishing , but find the series good entertainment.) Maybe David O'Doherty and Channel 4 can improve things for a second series..
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

peterb wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 12:18pm ...... They had no need to cross the River Aln at the stepping stones as they would have been heading off route, and shortly after were shown emerging onto the road down to Hipsburn - they must have retraced their route back over the river and up to the cycle route......

That confirms my impression that the comic capers are carefully scripted. Episode one featured a similar pointless exercise when DO'D supposedly pitched head first into a bed of nettles as he attempted to lift his bike over over a kissing gate. Richard Ayoade on the other hand merely opened the gate alongside and wheeled his Brompton through. It might have been funny if it hadn't looked so obviously contrived.

Overall I'm sufficiently encouraged by the series so far to want to watch next week's show. Judging by the pre publicity shot it will feature DO'D riding a Bianchi. I hope it's not because his rather nice Raleigh didn't survive last week's baptism in the river Aln.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's been two programmes exploring my neck of the woods and they are all the same. Stupid people prattling on with staged encounters. One went on for ages about a few hefty wooden planks like they had only just been exposed by the last tides. I've lived in the wider area for maybe 25 years. I've visited this area before I moved up here. Those planks were there most of those years if not all of them. But "just exposed by recent storms" is possibly more interesting to target audience who never intend to visit in person.

Another section seemed to make out an old guy was still making boats there. They were in an abandoned and unsafe building pretending that boats were being made there I reckon. Oh and if you're a maritime archaeologist or historian presenting the show and you didn't know a certain old building was the customs building before you got there I would be very surprised.

I think if you make facts or events up to make your programme more interesting then the programme isn't worth making in that format.
PH

Post by PH »

I've enjoyed all three, it's light entertainment on bikes, I wasn't expecting anything other. Of course the silliness is staged, but does anyone not know someone who would foolishly ride through a ford when there was a perfectly good alternative? Or has struggled to climb an obstacle and then found it completely unnecessary? These things do happen, they're sometimes funny at the times, always funnier in the re-telling.
The scenery is great, the banter is sometimes amusing, the cycling looks like something anyone could do and enjoy, good television IMO.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Norman H wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 3:46pm Overall I'm sufficiently encouraged by the series so far to want to watch next week's show. Judging by the pre publicity shot it will feature DO'D riding a Bianchi. I hope it's not because his rather nice Raleigh didn't survive last week's baptism in the river Aln.
Wasn't he riding a Bianchi in the latter part of this week's programme? Looked like it to me.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pedalsheep wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 10:06pm
Norman H wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 3:46pm Overall I'm sufficiently encouraged by the series so far to want to watch next week's show. Judging by the pre publicity shot it will feature DO'D riding a Bianchi. I hope it's not because his rather nice Raleigh didn't survive last week's baptism in the river Aln.
Wasn't he riding a Bianchi in the latter part of this week's programme? Looked like it to me.
Yes I thought I caught a glimpse