Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
bretonbikes

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Post by bretonbikes »

Gattonero wrote:Some disk brakes are actually very reliable, and can be even bled on the field.
I.e. Hope brakes work with DOT 5.1 (any car shop sells it) and all you need is a piece of hose, a bottle to collect the fluid, and to gradually fill the reservoir at the top.
Shimano's can do in the same way, the mineral brake fluid too can be found in car shops, if emergency dictates it.

Damaging the hose? It takes a whole lot to do so, if an hydraulic hose gets pulled up to the point of being cut or simply bent beyond being usable, the whole bike must have had a big bash, and I would imagine big dents on the top or down tube...
Rotors can bend easy, but can easily be bent back too. Just put a piece of white paper under the caliper and use it as sight, while using common pliers.
FWIW, I've seen people more in trouble when a bike without wheels was knocked off, and the v-brake spring been damaged beyond repair.

I remember the skepticals in the Mtb world, many many years ago some people would go mad against suspension forks, then went mad against disk brakes.
It's all about getting used to, things have pro's and con's. Everything needs to be learned

Hi

I'm intrigued re rotor repair. In our fleet I briefly ran 10 front disc braked bikes. In the first year all of them had problems with disc rub - I suspect mostly caused by people ramming them into bike racks outside supermarkets and the like. I spent many an happy hour with a huge pair of adjustable spanners bending the things around but never got them to run properly and replaced the discs instead (they're cheap after all... ). I concluded that once bent the material had stretched and nothing would get it true again. Do you have some tip on how you got them dead straight again as with the change in Ridgeback spec I'm going to come up against the same problem again. I'll add that rear discs generally don't have the same problems.

Don't get me wrong I love riding discs - it's just the reliability/repairability of the system that concerns me.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

When bikes do lean onto each other in a messy way, the rotors may get the weight of the bike(s) and would end up with a bend that is distributed on a relatively wide portion, so there's no sharp bend. Adjustable spanner or pliers do the job, what I've always found most useful is to put a piece of paper (or whatever you can find) in white or very light colour, so to appreciate the deviation of the rotor in between the gap with the pads. It works wonders.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:and the v-brake spring been damaged beyond repair.

No great problem to get a new V brake unit surely?

And cheaply.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Finding a shop open on Sunday? :roll:
Either way, anything can have an unexpected failure. Of course, we all tend to fear most the things we don't know well, like disk brakes are relatively a novelty in some disciplines.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I was thinking of on tour gatto. One day's delay/rest day is usually no great problem.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

overlander wrote:It gets even worse, they have "upgraded" the panorama to disc brakes. What a disaster this will be for them, the panorama has been a great value tourer for years. All I can think off is they have hired someone who has never done a tour in their life and let them spec the bike. I am now going to look for the final touring panorama 2016 model and buy it.

TBH there are far more fundamental issues with that model than disc brakes,steep seatube angles and cheap end hubs to name two,not to mention the external BB chainset :? .
There's pros and cons for any brake system but IME discs and specifically cable discs are better stoppers in all weathers than V's on a tourer.
Of course there's a risk of bending a rotor if the bike's being handled by others,but they're easily straightened and a spare rotor(or even two) weighs little and is safe slid down the stiffened back of a pannier should you worry about a one get really bent out of shape.I have a friend who simply removes his disc rotors when flying and has replaced the torx bolts with SS allen bolts.
There's much talk of harsh stiff forks on disc equipped bikes but TBH any fork on a tourer capable of taking front pannier are more than likely to be stiff anyway.
The pluses of discs far out weigh rim brakes every time on a tourer IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamish

Post by hamish »

I have a friend who simply removes his disc rotors when flying and has replaced the torx bolts with SS allen bolts.

I Had guessed that disk bolts were a. torx because they are less likely to round off and b. Made of strong steel that will take heating and cooling well and resist shearing. So... I would be weary about swapping them for SS Allen bolts. Are my fears unfounded?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hamish wrote:
I have a friend who simply removes his disc rotors when flying and has replaced the torx bolts with SS allen bolts.

I Had guessed that disk bolts were a. torx because they are less likely to round off and b. Made of strong steel that will take heating and cooling well and resist shearing. So... I would be weary about swapping them for SS Allen bolts. Are my fears unfounded?

I really don't know but my friend's never had problems and I have a pair of wheels that's never given trouble,it was our LBS who told us he uses them.
W H Auden
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Mainly thanks to the advice provided on this thread, I purchased the Ridgeback Expedition from Dales Cycles in their sale over Christmas for £670. I am entirely new to serious cycling but, approaching 60, I need to lose weight and get fitter. Cycling seems an ideal way to do that.

I also enjoy travelling ( north Africa, Asia, Europe ) and thought combining cycling and travelling might be fun. I am hoping to ride the Ridgeback to Marrakech in the spring, taking in the Camino French route on the way down.

I see there are some concerns here though regarding the strength of the wheels, especially the rear wheel. Can anyone kindly suggest a wheel which might be more suitable and also a reputable source. I have already ordered Ortlieb panniers ( Packer Plus ) for the rear ( and will upgrade the rack to Tubus in due course ) and the Ortlieb barbag. I will decide on front panniers also in due course after I have experimented with the bags I have ordered, and I will want to travel light, mixing camping with auberges and in Morocco cheaper hostels/hotels.

There is a significant cost investment in all of this equipment ( I have also sourced clothing, helmet, lights etc ) and scrimping on something as importment as a sturdy wheel seems stupid. The bike arrives on Thursday, so I need to start 'training' soon.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Geoff
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

geoffb wrote:Mainly thanks to the advice provided on this thread, I purchased the Ridgeback Expedition from Dales Cycles in their sale over Christmas for £670. I am entirely new to serious cycling but, approaching 60, I need to lose weight and get fitter. Cycling seems an ideal way to do that.

I also enjoy travelling ( north Africa, Asia, Europe ) and thought combining cycling and travelling might be fun. I am hoping to ride the Ridgeback to Marrakech in the spring, taking in the Camino French route on the way down.

I see there are some concerns here though regarding the strength of the wheels, especially the rear wheel. Can anyone kindly suggest a wheel which might be more suitable and also a reputable source. I have already ordered Ortlieb panniers ( Packer Plus ) for the rear ( and will upgrade the rack to Tubus in due course ) and the Ortlieb barbag. I will decide on front panniers also in due course after I have experimented with the bags I have ordered, and I will want to travel light, mixing camping with auberges and in Morocco cheaper hostels/hotels.

There is a significant cost investment in all of this equipment ( I have also sourced clothing, helmet, lights etc ) and scrimping on something as importment as a sturdy wheel seems stupid. The bike arrives on Thursday, so I need to start 'training' soon.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Geoff

Personally I'd stick with the standard wheel - it'll be fine for the moment - eventually a Deore XT hub would be better, but I've found the cheaper Shimano hub OK. On 26" wheels you shouldn't get problems with spokes and the rim will do the job just fine.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Ok thanks - I'll take your advice. Any other issues I need to be aware of?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

If and when you decide to get a new rear wheel, avoid the Simano XT hubs. For some years these now have aluminium axles, and since these are thicker, the bearings have been reduced in size. The result is a hub that is not nearly as reliable as the old XT hub, or the LX one with a steel axle.
Since you say you will want to travel light (which I think is good idea) you will not need front panniers if you buy compact sleeping kit like an Exped Synmat UL or Thermarest Neoair mattrass, and a light and compact down bag.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've no idea how good the wheels are, but they are probably factory built (maybe Breton can confirm). If you want to lessen the risk of breaking spokes, it may be worth getting a good wheel-builder to re-tension the spokes.
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Thanks again. Ive contacted SJS Cycles ( only 10 miles away ) asking for their advice, how much it would cost me to upgrade and whether they would do it. Also enquired about a front dynamo hub and USB connector. Lets wait and see what they come back with.

The wheel which potentially interests me is https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswheel ... hub-black/, though there is conflicting advice above re the hub.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

geoffb wrote:Thanks again. Ive contacted SJS Cycles ( only 10 miles away ) asking for their advice, how much it would cost me to upgrade and whether they would do it. Also enquired about a front dynamo hub and USB connector. Lets wait and see what they come back with.

The wheel which potentially interests me is https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswheel ... hub-black/, though there is conflicting advice above re the hub.

I'd go for Sputnik rim on Shimano LX hub,Sapim strong on the drive side and Double Butted spoke on on the other,bombproof.Front would be the same rim and DB Sapim spokes with the best Dyno hub you can afford,SON perhaps(?)
Keep the original wheels for light use.
W H Auden