Porridge - what is the difference?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rualexander

Re: Porridge - what is the difference?

Post by rualexander »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Tacascarow wrote:How do you stop your oats from welding to the pan?

Ziploc bags of porridge with some powdered milk, and then you only need to use the pan for heating water. There's also something therapeutic about warming your hands up in the morning on a bag of porridge before venturing any further into the day...

That's not porridge then, that's brose. Porridge has to be cooked.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Think you'll find it is! I've tried it before some of this years 'long days' and it certainly works for me. There have been quite a number of experts promoting porridge as pre exercise food from BC through to the assorted rags i am known to peruse.

Doesn't mean i eat it every day of course. :lol:

Yes, seem to remember that someone high up in brit cycling got good oat supplies to take on a trip with a team - can't remember if it was a training or competition trip. At a foreign customs he was asked if he was in charge of an old folks' party :)

Oats are hard to get hold of in Italy, especially at any sort of reasonable price. I think they think they are for horses. Which shows that the italians don't know as much as they think they do about food.

In England oats are fed to the horses
In Scotland oats are fed to the people
(Dr Johnson)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Think you'll find it is! I've tried it before some of this years 'long days' and it certainly works for me. There have been quite a number of experts promoting porridge as pre exercise food from BC through to the assorted rags i am known to peruse.

Doesn't mean i eat it every day of course. :lol:

Yes, seem to remember that someone high up in brit cycling got good oat supplies to take on a trip with a team - can't remember if it was a training or competition trip. At a foreign customs he was asked if he was in charge of an old folks' party :)

Oats are hard to get hold of in Italy, especially at any sort of reasonable price. I think they think they are for horses. Which shows that the italians don't know as much as they think they do about food.

In England oats are fed to the horses
(Dr Johnson)

Better at dictionaries than food, perhaps.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tacascarow wrote:Porridge, sliced banana & a generous dollop of good natural honey & made with full fat organic milk.
Food from the gods.
I can here the Scots massing at the border screaming "Bananas, honey NOOo!!!!"

.... and Glaswegians wondering if you can deep fry Porridge?

Then you find that yes - you can.

Cook, leave to cool then refrigerate. You get a solid slab of porridge that can be battered and fried

ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I went on a Cub and Scout camp in1950.
Apart from the novel experiences of sleeping on the ground without a proper sleeping bag in an ex army bell tent, scout dug latrines and primitive washing facilities there was the breakfast of porridge with salt to be endured.
I have never eaten this substance since and find it hard to share a table with anyone eating it.
The experience has also left me unable to comprehend the "joys" of wild camping.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In England oats are fed to the horses
(Dr Johnson)

More than 20 years ago, I was at Pitlochry YHA hostel, making breakfast porridge for me, my brother, and a friend we were touring with, and a young woman peeked into my pot, made a face, then paraphrased Samuel Johnson, saying, "In England oats feed the horses, but in Scotland they feed the people." She obviously though I was Scottish, so I said in my best John Wayne style drawl, "And in America, we shoot folks that insult our cookin'."

She looked a bit shocked, but a couple of other people in the kitchen had a giggle about it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Quick response (who said this?)

England has the best horses
Scotland and Wales have the best people
:wink:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Quick response (who said this?)

England has the best horses
Scotland and Wales have the best people
:wink:

Someone who hadn’t visited North Wales? :evil:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

More than 20 years ago, I was at Pitlochry YHA hostel, making breakfast porridge

My porridge-in-a-Scottish-hostel nightmare dates from 1963 -

viewtopic.php?p=279484#p279484

Point of information, Dr Johnson's dictionary has this about oats:-

a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/images/texts/ ... e1395.html
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Dr Johnston obviously never did any long distance (cycle) touring. It's not only Scotland.

I have been surprised at how many countries sell oats and presumably eat them. I first noticed them in China. I have subsequently found them in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Japan, Mauritius, etc, etc.

My method of 'cooking' is simple and may help the person on page 1 who said they stick to his cooking pot.

I have a small stainless steel bowl (courtesy of that first Chinese supermarket). Add a squirt of condensed milk (sold in tubes). Fill to ¾ with boiling water. Add oats and stir occasionally. No need to cook.

I usually have it with a handful of raisins and a banana or two.

Personally I prefer muesli, but that can be difficult to find on the road.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
(Dr Johnson)

More than 20 years ago, I was at Pitlochry YHA hostel, making breakfast porridge for me, my brother, and a friend we were touring with, and a young woman peeked into my pot, made a face, then paraphrased Samuel Johnson, saying, "In England oats feed the horses, but in Scotland they feed the people." She obviously though I was Scottish, so I said in my best John Wayne style drawl, "And in America, we shoot folks that insult our cookin'."

She looked a bit shocked, but a couple of other people in the kitchen had a giggle about it.

There is a chance that Europeans would not find that joke funny, I certainly would not make it in the US (or anywhere else)

I would have instead insisted that they try my porridge, they would have really liked it and started eating it every day instead of value added sugary cereals - win.win situation and funny too
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
(Dr Johnson)

There is a chance that Europeans would not find that joke funny, I certainly would not make it in the US (or anywhere else)

I wouldn't make the joke today, TBH. I'm more mature, and the world is a different place. I think most of the others there found it funny at the time. I guess now, I'd have a little more sympathy for the young woman who was the butt of it, but she obviously thought it was funny to assume that I was Scottish & somehow akin to (her?) horses.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom