BBC Scotland documentary - Bothy Life

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rualexander

BBC Scotland documentary - Bothy Life

Postby rualexander » 11 Dec 2015, 5:57pm

Doco about the MBA and their work to maintain Scotland's bothies, available on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s1762

PhilWhitehurst

Re: BBC Scotland documentary - Bothy Life

Postby PhilWhitehurst » 11 Dec 2015, 8:40pm

Watched that , rather nicely put together I think

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 11 Dec 2015, 10:20pm

Thanks, just watched it.good timing as well I've just finished reading the book of the bothy.

loch eck steve

Postby loch eck steve » 12 Dec 2015, 11:24am

Excellent programme ! Although my experience of bothies is to just use them to cook in and get out of bad weather , then sleep in my tent , too many mice for my liking !

hamish

Postby hamish » 13 Dec 2015, 10:24am

I agree. I thought it was a good programme that captured what bothies are about. I even appeared in it which was a complete fluke as we just paddled in to check the bothy out on the way past. We found a film crew and work party there and they asked for an interview!

Also agree about the camping - I really like staying at bothies but my prefered option is often to hang out, cook and dry out in the bothy and then sleep outside in my tent. Sometimes though, if the weather is really horrid and the bothy quiet, it's great to sleep inside during a storm.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 13 Dec 2015, 4:44pm

I used to do a lot of bothying but its getting on for 20 years ago now. The ones featured in the programme look a lot smarter and better equipped than the ones I remember - a table and a bench used to be the height of luxury!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

kylecycler

Postby kylecycler » 13 Dec 2015, 5:20pm

Haven't watched the documentary yet but found this excellent blog - 'bothies on a bike', covering all the MBA bothies in Scotland (the writer might well post on the forum, or at least be a CTC member, but I wouldn't know).

https://bothiesonabike.wordpress.com/

I've lived in Scotland all my life but never been to a bothy - hardly even knew of their existence or purpose. Definitely need to head for the hills.

donald.stewart.nj

Postby donald.stewart.nj » 19 Dec 2015, 1:26pm

Tiz a shame we cannot view this in the US

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Dec 2015, 3:08pm

donald.stewart.nj wrote:Tiz a shame we cannot view this in the US

You can if you use a VPN service. There are some free ones.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom