Cycling in the Bordeaux region

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fbord

Cycling in the Bordeaux region

Post by fbord »

In late June, my wife and I will be taking our tandem to Bordeaux, France on the European Bike Express.
We have booked accommodation for a short while on arrival to explore the city, but then intend to go further afield on perhaps a three centre basis for the rest of our holiday before returning to Bordeaux for the trip home.
Can anyone tell me how easily accommodation is available on an arrive and book in basis, the accommodation being room only or B&B. We want a room with private bathroom facilities, similar to B&B facilities in England i.e. not campsites or hostels. Is accommodation at a premium at this time of year such that we should organise an itinerary now and book rooms in advance?
Thanks
DaveP

Re: Cycling in the Bordeaux region

Post by DaveP »

I'd suggest that planning and pre booking would be a good idea. Stokers can get very cranky if forced to rough it!
We cycled up the Velodyssee in early July this year. For a group of four (originally five) pre booking is definitely a good idea at anytime but we were surprised at how full some places appeared to be, even that early in the season. And we were doing the bookings at around this time of year.
Fair enough, that part of the coast is essentially a resort area, but then Bordeaux presents itself as a holiday destination as well...

Don't know if you are aware, but Bordeaux has a fantastic public transport system. Three tramlines which intersect near the Place Quinconce. Outside rush hour you can walk on with a bike - but a tandem might be a bit awkward! The service starts early and goes on till about 11 most days.
The tickets are valid for a period of time as well as distance and apparently allow you to ride the buses too. We never got to the bottom of that during our October mini break, but a 7 day pass gave us unlimited travel for 12 Euros If you can put up near a tram stop you wont want to use the bike to explore the city although you might get a buzz out of cruising up and down along the riverbank near the water mirror!

Whereabouts are you planning to go? I could suggest a place in Saintes if that helps.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
whoof

Post by whoof »

I have been touring in France the last two weeks in June for over a dozen years. I've not been to the Bordeaux region since the 80s but everywhere else I've been most places I just turn up and have a room without any problems. The only places I need to book are near airport in hotels like Formule 1 that are used by reps and construction workers.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

You might want the security of booking the next two nights - eg book the first two nights, say Sarurday and Sunday nights so you know where you're staying, then in the morning of Sunday book the Monday night. That way you have the security of knowing you have somewhere to stay but are not too tied down. Turning up in the summer near Bordeaux might be a recipe for disaster. And if you email or phone and they do not have space you can ask them for the address of somewhere nearby.
fbord

Post by fbord »

Many thanks for the replies, each with a different approach!
I have decided to plan a route in advance and pre-book accommodation. I am going to use booking.com which gives the option of late cancellation up to 24 hours prior to arrival with no penalty. Interestingly the site shows many properties having only one booking left, unless that's a ploy to get you to sign up! Anyway, doing it this way, we have peace of mind of mind, and perhaps the flexibility of changing plans as we go if we come across available accommodation that we particularly like. This time around we will be able to gauge what the availability is as we travel around, perhaps for future reference.
We are not planning big mileages, sticking around the Baye, St Emilion, St Macaire and Creon areas, using four centres and cycling out from them, plus just exploring locally in the towns.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
LindaB

Post by LindaB »

Don't know if you've already booked your accommodation for the Bordeaux area, but you might want to check out the hotels/B&Bs mentioned in the blog of our 2012 trip around the Aquitaine region. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/circleaquitaine2012 We booked all ahead, no worries the day-of, and you get your pick of places, rather than settling for whatever still has a vacancy.

It's a beautiful region - hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

Chateau de Crecy, in Romagne, five minutes south of the bike path from Bordeaux to Sauveterre-de-Guyenne, is a very comfortable, bike friendly, place to stay. We liked it so much in 2011, when we spent one night there, that in 2014 our stay was for two nights. Martine and Bruno really do make you feel at home. Enjoy your holiday.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Bruce J wrote:Chateau de Crecy, in Romagne, five minutes south of the bike path from Bordeaux to Sauveterre-de-Guyenne, is a very comfortable, bike friendly, place to stay. We liked it so much in 2011, when we spent one night there, that in 2014 our stay was for two nights. Martine and Bruno really do make you feel at home. Enjoy your holiday.

I second this recommendation, the place sounds very grand but is a comfortable vineyard farmhouse with excellent food. The above mentioned cycle path is one of the best I know, the redundant railway tunnel lighting illuminates as you progress through it, operated by motion sensors. Amazing.