Abus Frame Lock

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Padraic

Re: Abus Frame Lock

Postby Padraic » 29 Jan 2016, 10:53pm

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions, I'll order on soon, but its hard to know which model to choose??

ericonabike

Postby ericonabike » 30 Jan 2016, 11:51am

...but imagine how easy it was before someone invented t'internet.... :wink:
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 23 Feb 2016, 9:11pm

Cunobelin wrote:These are cafe locks only

but somewhat better than many locks that fall under the 'cafe' variety IMHO

It is also worth noting that if the bike does not have the appropriate braze-ons then it is down to thin metal strips holding the lock in place

True, but the thin metal strips are not part of the the lock's 'locking integrity' - once activated, the lock and extracting pin form a stout metal hoop around the wheel rim. If the thin metal strips where severed, the wheel could rotate about a quarter turn between the seat and chain stays, but that's all.

As others have written, the lock is sometimes better held in place with zip ties (to prevent annoying rattling as you cycle).

I have an AXA Defender on our tandem and I use this in conjunction with an ordinary plastic coated security cable, with loops in both ends. After I've passed the cable around what ever is necessary, I then put one of the cable loops over the frame lock pin and close the lock - no need to purchase one of the plug-in chains and worry about incompatibility and the security cable can be used else where.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 24 Feb 2016, 10:29pm

Axa. Yes heavy and narrow.
I tried to refit it after putting on 2" tires for my tour in Tajikistan. No go.
And then on returning home I gave up refitting it with 1.75" tires.
Anyone want to pay the postage and receive it for free?
Comes with 4 keys.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
Lots more in hot countries.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

ericonabike

Postby ericonabike » 25 Feb 2016, 3:08pm

PM in post. :D
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 28 Feb 2016, 5:52pm

Also, if you get a good one (say Axa/Abus), these can be very hard to cut off (ie, cut through the lock, not the mounting clips).
Years ago in our LBS, I had to remove one of these locks, the customer had lost the key(s). Thus, the plan was to bend the cover plate to expose the locking shaft, and cut through with the angle grinder.
Not so. The cover plate was too strong to bend, so that had to be angle ground off first, before attacking the lock itself. All this not helped by it all being in a hard place to get an angle grinder (and I think the frame mounting bolts were rusty/rounded/hard to get to so the lock had to stay in its original position).
Thus to took 2 mechanics in a workshop 1 hour with an angle grinder to remove, 1 grinding, the other balancing/securing the bike in the bench vice.

Padraic

Postby Padraic » 4 Mar 2016, 9:58pm

Cheers for the advice everyone, from everyone's feedback and my own experience I'm gonna get one for sure.