Anyone used a TEASI gps cycle gizmo ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
glasgowjim

Anyone used a TEASI gps cycle gizmo ?

Post by glasgowjim »

As per title not really a techie type more stone age technology me .
Problem is intending to go on a tour of Sweden so it is a toss up between a iphone or android euqivalent or a gps cyle type computer.
Dont want to need a phd or spend weeks trying to load a route etc..
just want something that will stop me taking the wrong road and ending up having to turn back miles down the road.

advise needed
neilob

Re: Anyone used a TEASI gps cycle gizmo ?

Post by neilob »

Someone will come on here and say that maps and a compass are good bets. My opinion however is that getting to grips with Garmin is a very worthwhile investment. Most people can get the basics of online route planning very quickly especially if you know someone using the system already. You really don't need a PhD and there is a choice of ways of creating routes. I use Garmin Connect which favours the cycling-friendly options but there are others. Before too many purists come on and tell me I'm a complete idiot, I have pre-planned tours in different parts of Europe for the last few years and as long as you accept a small risk of error and keep a degree of common sense in your panniers, they have mostly been hassle and stress free. In other words, embrace it because it is the future. When the North Koreans shoot down the GPS satellites I will go back to ancient methods but until then......
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

The key issue to think about/check is the availability of maps. There are a number of people who produce maps for Garmin gpses based on Open Street Map. Have a look to see what maps are available before you take the plunge.

I suspect that most gpses are pretty similar - and to get the best out of them requires a bit of time and practice.
the snail

Post by the snail »

I got the basic one2 last week, still getting to know it, but it seems to do what I want - I can plot routes on PC and load them onto the teasi, record rides. I've tried getting the device to work out a route, and it seems to do a good job. Early days, but it seems like good value - I paid about £100 from OutdoorGB. The pro model is about £10 more and has a barometric altimeter and can connect to HR/cadence sensor. Only negative so far is that I haven't been able to register on their web page and download the software tool.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

If you will have access to charging facilities every day then I'd recommend android. If you won't then you need Garmins type with replaceable batteries or an alternative way of charging your Android device.

Mapping on Android is essentially free via Osmand/ Andromaps.

If you go Android smartphone it's best to go for a waterproof phone. Sony Xperia are usually good for this as well as some Samsung phones.

For Android it's also worth considering a GPS enabled tablet if you use a bar bag with mapholder.

If you are of an age where your eyes need assistance the larger screens available from smartphones/tablets may be helpful.

I' ve been using an android smartphone (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) since Oct 2013 without problems. I used Garmin's and Brton's before my smartphone and wouldn't go back.

Whichever device you get its best to test it out before you go.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> This year I'm opting to use an Android smartphone instead of a Garmin GPS for my cycle tours
> The thing to note is that the Android apps such as OSMand+ and Locus Map whilst being very competent and comprehensive apps, do take some time to learn, especially if you don't have a flair for that sort of thing :?
> I've no personal experience of the Teasi device, but I suspect that like the modern Gamin devices, they are quick and easy to set up straight out of the box (although it will take a bit more time to discover the full range of their facilities)
> If you are not tech savvy, try and get some 'hands on' in a shop or with a friend before buying - as in most things in today's market place, there is some much choice :o
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I have a Teasi one2 and it is virtually identical in use to an Etrex20 with PC and GPX files, seems to plot a 'go to' route better than the garmin - probably mapset that makes difference. Benefits are it has a huge screen so shows more of a map, drawback is the infrequently (monthly) updated proprietary free maps - if it woud take a talkytoaster/openfiets/etc it'd be unbeatable.
Simbut

Post by Simbut »

I would avoid the Teasi device. I have had several problems with the Teasi tool and now Tahuna tool. This latest Tahuna tool is supposed to provide updates for your device as well as allowing you to create your own routes etc. It seems to have some bugs which has resulted in the mapping on my Teasi 1 becoming corrupted and unreadable. Teasi technical help has yet to answer any of my 3 emails over a period of months. I have now given up on it. It may be cheaper than all the others but if you have a problem it seems you are on your own!
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I have a Teasi one 3 which I bought in May 2016. It is about half the price or less of a Garmin. I have used it to follow routes loaded onto it as GPX files and also to record my own routes, both for cycling and walking. I have occasionally used its in-built route-finding function and address / feature search, mainly around cities. I have added a separate file of points of interest (POI): Bett-und-Bike. I have also added my own favourites.

It works OK based on the map data available to it, which is Open Street Map. Here in Germany the mapping is excellent. I notice that some rural areas of the UK are incomplete - for footpaths anyway. I asked it to route me to a nearby shop to which I knew the route and it proposed something rather long. I checked OSM and saw that the agricultural roads I know were not identified as open to cycles - so the Teasi was working correctly. I edited OSM.

The model I have does not contain a compass. It gets its alignment when you move, which can be confusing when you start or go through a complex junction. The newer "extend" model has a compass, so the map should always align.

The GPS can be slow to find satellites and it uses only GPS, not Glonass and not Galileo (few do). The accuracy when I have been recording seems to be typical of GPS without correction. I have compared my tracks with satellite imagery on OSM in edit mode.

The built-in battery is not a problem as I have a USB power outlet on the bike. Without recharging you can get around 6 hours riding if the backlight is turned right down. You could also use a USB power pack which takes two AA cells to recharge it. I have a tiny one from Hama which can charge 2 AA cells and then use them as a power pack. In German: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B003O6VFJC.

The device very occasionally freezes. This seems to happen most when you are following a route and recording at the same time, you go off route and it tries to navigate you back to the route.

I have never updated the software on my device - deliberately. Others have had big problems, particularly with the first Tahuna version which came out last August.The Teasi Tool tries to update your device as soon as it detects a new version on the server. So, all the Teasi devices in the world started trying to update within a few days of the software update. That crashed the server. The software was not robust enough against incompletely downloaded update packages and caused lots of problems. The following update was a bit better according to the GPS Radler website (http://gpsradler.de, in German). The most recent update seems to be OK for most people - at least there have been a lot fewer complaints. I am thinking of trying it. My advice would be never to be an early adopter of changed software.

In fact you do not need the Teasi Tool to upload routes or download your recordings. You can copy the GPX files to the Teasi disk or SD card.

To summarise: the Teasi works well for me. It has a big screen. It guides on downloaded routes well, including directing you back if you go off course. Route planning seems to work but I have not used it much for cycling. I have heard that the Teasi navigation functions are actually better for cyclists than Garmin but I could not comment.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hmm the TEASI One only claims to be "splashproof" and is rated as IPX5, the Garmin edge series are all rated to IPX7, you may need some sort of extra case if it rains a lot!
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi Jim,

Have never used a TEASI, my research suggested that it was only usable for Europe.

There is a very helpful thread here on different options viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115537

I was in the same position as you, debating over a GPS specific device or using a phone. I rejected the idea of a phone because of the situations when I would be using it - typically an "urgent get me to be where I need to be" situation.

I borrowed a Garmin Touring device and would not touch it with a bargepole. Unreliable, crashed often, going off course (even cycling on the wrong side of the road!) could mean the loss of turn by turn navigation, although the route was still followable (is that even a word??) on the device. POIs were useless, at least here in NL. For example, it couldn't locate a campsite within 50 km of my location despite the fact that I could see 3 from where I was standing.
Battery life was very poor, much less than advertised and using a hub dynamo made it even more unpredictable. A batteyr pack was fine, however.
the one advantage was the detail of the map.
Other Garmins may be better, but I read enough horror stories of appalling customer service to put me off trying anything else.

I've been using a Wahoo elemnt for the past couple of months and I think it is brilliant.
Best of all, you don't need to hook it up to a PC to load routes - it's done through your phone. You can, if you like, use something like Ridewith GPS to plot a route, transfer to your phone, from your phone to your device and off you go. Turn by turn is an option depending on the map software you use. Otherwise, it's a breadcrumb trail which is easy to follow. It may sound like a lot of steps, but it's quite simple, really.
Maps are very basic, but worldwide, so no extra costs.
Currently, a data or wifi connection is required to activate a route, but Wahoo assured me that this will soon be stopped meaning that if you have an offline mapping app, such as OSMAnd, you can plot a route on the go, totally offline.
Even now, with a data/wifi connection you can plot a route on the fly.

The trick, in my opinion, is to figure out exactly what you want it to do. If you just simply want to know where you are to know when to go left or right, then a phone will do the trick, even offline.
If you want to follow a route, then a phone is an option, but one of many.
If you decide you want a specific device, then it comes down to the features of each one.

If you can, borrow one from someone and try it for yourself.

Frank
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

Just to clarify: the Teasi has routeable maps for Europe, which includes the UK. It has more limited maps for elsewhere. All depend on the quality of the Open Street Map.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

HobbesOnTour wrote:I've been using a Wahoo elemnt for the past couple of months and I think it is brilliant.

Currently, a data or wifi connection is required to activate a route, but Wahoo assured me that this will soon be stopped meaning that if you have an offline mapping app, such as OSMAnd, you can plot a route on the go, totally offline.
Even now, with a data/wifi connection you can plot a route on the fly.

Just updating this info as the original ticket item was dropped. The Wahoo app currently needs a data or wifi connection to ping the cloud meaning that you need a connection to import/create a new route in the app.
I'm told that a new ticket has been raised, but have no idea when.

Just wanted to update the info

Frank
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I have recently updated the software on my Teasi one3 (bought in 2016) from its original, which was Hydrogen 8, to the latest Tahuna Caph. The instructions for the update are not great but I managed to get it done with no problems via my Mac. So, I have up to date maps and a few new functions in the software. I can now control the GPS frequency, which can save some power (longer battery life) and reduce the size of recorded routes. Apparently it now uses the popularity of routes on bikemap.net to influence its routing algorithm. I'm still happy with the device. The documentation could be better and there are some irritating inconsistencies in the way POIs are grouped and classified. But it is still a very usable device for its price.

For anyone who uses any navigation based on OpenStreetMap I encourage you to update the map if you see something missing or wrong. It is easy. That includes POIs such as shops and restaurants. It's great to be able to search for things on my Teasi while I am riding. Example: find nearby restaurants. If the phone number is in OSM it is on the Teasi too.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

Support and updates for Teasi will cease on 31 December 2021. UPDATE NOW. See my post:

viewtopic.php?p=1657707#p1657707

Peter Lancashire / Düsseldorf