Cycling out of Hook of Holland ferry terminal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lisap

Cycling out of Hook of Holland ferry terminal

Post by lisap »

Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult it is to get away from the port and on to the LF1?

I am thinking of cycling across to Nijmegen and then over the border to friends in Heinsberg in Germany. From the maps it looks easier to go North on the LF1 and then pick up the LF4 and go eastwards but stand corrected if there is an easier or more direct route.
foxyrider

Re: Cycling out of Hook of Holland ferry terminal

Post by foxyrider »

First get on your machine, locate pedal, push off.

You'll pick up cycle track/route from the dock entrance/exit!

I would actually turn left along to the Fast Ferry, cross to Europort then head eastwards missing Rotterdam completely. An alternative would be to go along to Maasluis and take the ferry there - maybe a little less industrial!

Just remember that the signed routes very often take you away from conflict points like towns and villages and rarely take you where you want to go! Use maps, pick your route, there will be cycle tracks you can use without them being a published route.

Whilst the routes are well signed, I found traversing Rotterdam to be a nightmare of long detours to keep you with as little traffic as possible which is fine in theory but can easily add hours to your journey!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
lisap

Post by lisap »

Thanks Foxyrider, exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Your suggestion of going across on the Maasluis would mean I could probably take the LF12 eastwards instead. I don't have any time constraints so am quite happy to meander, explore and generally enjoy being back on the bike. Waiting for my maps to arrive from Stamfords and itching to get planning with hopefully a tour in May and June.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

My experience is that you'll find your way, but it won't necessarily be by exactly the route you intended. Even though I had a map and route directions to add to the signs, I actually I had considerable difficulty following precisely the cycle route I intended near Hoek, because there were so many cycle routes around there and distinct intermittency to the signage of some of them that I just got lost in the maze of cycle routes. But basically you head for the dunes and keep the sea on your left and the complicated braiding of cycle routes in that area eventually resolves as you go north and becomes just one path following the coast.

More generally, there are 3 separate kinds of cycle route signing going on - long distance routes (LF), local signs by destination, and the Knoopunkt (numbered junction) system - and sometimes not all of the signs are present, so it's useful to have a map to use the other signing when you can't see the sign you are looking for. We used all 3 kinds of signs at different moments.
monxton

Post by monxton »

The Dutch Cyclists Union has a useful planner for the Netherlands, which allows you to fine-tune the kind of route you want in great detail. I like the one they call "Racer Route", which offers this: http://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ ... s=63,71,76, but it's interesting to compare the different routes it offers depending on your choices.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Lisa you'll be fine. From memory though, just head East on the LF4 towards Utrecht and Arnhem. It's so set up for you. As soon as you leave the ferry, the sea air clears your head and it's amazingly easy navigation from there. Happy travels...b
ossie

Post by ossie »

lisap wrote:Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult it is to get away from the port and on to the LF1?

I am thinking of cycling across to Nijmegen and then over the border to friends in Heinsberg in Germany. From the maps it looks easier to go North on the LF1 and then pick up the LF4 and go eastwards but stand corrected if there is an easier or more direct route.

I did Hook of Holland to Nijmegan as part of a bigger tour last year and would recommend my route. Direct,all off road mostly (a few back streets) and cycle paths (as expected) no issues very scenic (riding on the river defences) and route as attached. Basically out of the terminal and turn right and bobs your uncle..oh yeah and Rotterdam was a breeze with some great sights.....please dont miss it. Let me know if you want the GPX or Tcx.... Using a Garmin and downloading the route beforehand was invaluable but not completely necessary as people say its hard to go wrong....you will love it.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 39332&v=7K
lisap

Post by lisap »

Thank you all so much for the help, pointers and advice. The trip is now definitely on and I will be spending the whole summer in Germany with friends and using their place as a base. I'm going for so long I'm shipping my horse over as well and will have until the Autumn before I need to come home. A summer of cycling and riding, I can't wait :D