Hook of Holland to Amsterdam with 9yr old twins

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
katierbrett

Re: Hook of Holland to Amsterdam with 9yr old twins

Post by katierbrett »

MrsHJ wrote:I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. I've just booked flights for me and my 9 year old and our bikes to Amsterdam in August for a fortnights trip. Hoping the rest of the family might join us too but we'll have fun anyway.

We are mostly going to camp and hopefully use the nature camping sites but we will use small hotels if the weather is rough. You're recommended to book the friends B&B's at least 24 hours in advance but that should be fine for you. Someone mentioned a value hotel/hostel chain somewhere I saw in here (stay okay) and warm showers might be an option too.

Ps which maps are you going to take? I don't quite trust my gps so I think I'm going to take the Falk maps for my trip too. http://www.stanfords.co.uk/North-Hollan ... 9028724457

I haven't looked into maps yets. I'm hoping it will be fairly straightforward. Do you think these maps are the best. I am hoping we will cycle in holland again so will definately invest. I don't do GPS. I have view ranger on my phone and google maps. I actually used the google map app most when I did the dieppe to paris trip. I definately want a paper map as my phone can't be trusted not to run out of battery!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

No need for a GPS. I only used mine to log my progress. I had this in my bar bag. Wonderful https://www.bol.com/nl/p/anwb-fietsatla ... 021327653/
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

katierbrett wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. I've just booked flights for me and my 9 year old and our bikes to Amsterdam in August for a fortnights trip. Hoping the rest of the family might join us too but we'll have fun anyway.

We are mostly going to camp and hopefully use the nature camping sites but we will use small hotels if the weather is rough. You're recommended to book the friends B&B's at least 24 hours in advance but that should be fine for you. Someone mentioned a value hotel/hostel chain somewhere I saw in here (stay okay) and warm showers might be an option too.

Ps which maps are you going to take? I don't quite trust my gps so I think I'm going to take the Falk maps for my trip too. http://www.stanfords.co.uk/North-Hollan ... 9028724457

I haven't looked into maps yets. I'm hoping it will be fairly straightforward. Do you think these maps are the best. I am hoping we will cycle in holland again so will definately invest. I don't do GPS. I have view ranger on my phone and google maps. I actually used the google map app most when I did the dieppe to paris trip. I definately want a paper map as my phone can't be trusted not to run out of battery!

Following Martin's recommendation on the previous page I've ordered that one from the Dutch website. You can look through the options at stanfords though if you don't want to have that expense/big a map. FAlk and ANWB are both supposed to be fine.
lisap

Post by lisap »

MrsHJ have your LF maps arrived? I ordered mine in the 4th and they still haven't arrived.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

lisap wrote:MrsHJ have your LF maps arrived? I ordered mine in the 4th and they still haven't arrived.
yes, they came a couple of days ago. I've just been perusing them, just checked my emails and I ordered early on the 2nd.

Wondering now how the distance markers work! Not all of the campsites are on there but there are some. It's in separate double sided sheets and I'm going to take about a third of the pack with me and a protective map holder as they are quite flimsy (remembering how much it rained last time we were in the NL).

Just hesitating about pushing the button on my new tent purchase and whether to test it out in Wales in May.

Also finally got my Christmas GPS thingie properly working today after fiddling with it a few times but deciding to go riding instead of delaying to work it out.
lisap

Post by lisap »

Thanks I will keep a look out for mine then, hopefully they will arrive this week. I don't need them until the end of April but I want to start planning distances and accommodation rather than winging it each day.

Hope you have a good trip.
lisap

Post by lisap »

My maps have arrived from Holland and I can start planning. Next thing is to book the ferry :D very excited at going on a trip after two years off.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I always carry a paper map (with campsites marked on in biro). But there's some excellent free digital mapping available. My favourite is from openfietsmap.nl. This is what the Benelux full map looks like in Garmin Basecamp:

openfietsmap.nl.jpg

(I did a hurried resize on this - the original on the site looks better).

The red lines are cycleways and the blue and white stripes bits cycle routes.

This is what it looks like on a GPS

304.png
304.png (99.81 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

For campsites check:

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/campsite/ ... tryID/NLD/
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90721&p=833004 has information about camping in the Netherlands, including various on-line resources.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

Heltor Chasca wrote:If you are going up the coast the dunes could be fun. This summer my 6 & 14 yods are campaigning to stay at Duinrell for a few nights! Eek! We are camping and cycling from HVH.

Duinrell was the place my 12 year old daughter liked the most. Very easy to get to on the bike from the coastal cycle route. We also called in at Madurodam model village which was also a nice place to spend 1/2 a day.
Heltor Chasca

Hook of Holland to Amsterdam with 9yr old twins

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've booked our ferry tickets and a few nights at Wassenaar for my daughters in August. I think an amusement park with swimming and rides all day is one of the few places where I can see both my teenager and 6 year old having a blast. Wassenaar is a pretty good location for day trips on the bikes or train to other see interesting things.

I think we may head south of HVH for the remainder of the stay and explore those funny islands. The little, fast ferry from HVH to the south will be fun too.

I've booked a night either end at the Castle Inn in Harwich. It's under new management and they sound lovely. I believe there will be new showers and ablutions.

I'm getting excited...b

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

I cycled between Hook of Holland and Amsterdam 4 times last year en route to various excursions and I can vouch for the coastal route as being excellent with multi routes through the dunes and towns, a great experience, even if you go off the route you're meant to be on you will still be on a path going in the right direction and amongst a throng of lovely dutch ( and helpful ) folk.

I would recommend Katwijk or Noordwijk as stop over points as they are very nice seaside holiday towns with plenty of amenities and spick and span, but to be honest Zaandwort is ok too and Haarlem pleasant to cycle through.

Delft is a very nice town to visit, and some of the more peripheral suburbs of Amsterdaam very pleasant too, with much charm and nice markets.

DISCLAIMER. I love Holland

NB. the route along the coast is flat but the dunes are quite, erm dune like and so the route is never boring, the wind can be strong and is mainly in the opposite direction to that you want it to be in, but a more pleasant and safe ride I cannot think of.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

trilathon wrote:I cycled between Hook of Holland and Amsterdam 4 times last year en route to various excursions and I can vouch for the coastal route as being excellent with multi routes through the dunes and towns, a great experience, even if you go off the route you're meant to be on you will still be on a path going in the right direction and amongst a throng of lovely dutch ( and helpful ) folk.

I would recommend Katwijk or Noordwijk as stop over points as they are very nice seaside holiday towns with plenty of amenities and spick and span, but to be honest Zaandwort is ok too and Haarlem pleasant to cycle through.

Delft is a very nice town to visit, and some of the more peripheral suburbs of Amsterdaam very pleasant too, with much charm and nice markets.

DISCLAIMER. I love Holland

NB. the route along the coast is flat but the dunes are quite, erm dune like and so the route is never boring, the wind can be strong and is mainly in the opposite direction to that you want it to be in, but a more pleasant and safe ride I cannot think of.

Many thanks. Yes you are right, this coast is fun so long as you don't mind getting the sand out your chain when you are back!