Tour North England : Ideas please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: Tour North England : Ideas please

Postby pwa » 16 Mar 2016, 9:36am

honesty wrote:I always thought a combination of the Way of the Roses and the Walney to Wear (Whitby branch) route would make an excellent circular weeks tour and allows you to start in and finish in York, so train connections are easier. I think you may have to average about 60 miles a day though to get it in.

Great idea.

honesty

Postby honesty » 16 Mar 2016, 9:48am

Its about 350 miles if you drop down from Kendal to Morecambe following NCN6. At the other end you get to go from Bridlington to Whitby on NCN1 which looks to follow a rather nice looking rail trail for most of the way.

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 16 Mar 2016, 9:58am

honesty wrote:Its about 350 miles if you drop down from Kendal to Morecambe following NCN6. At the other end you get to go from Bridlington to Whitby on NCN1 which looks to follow a rather nice looking rail trail for most of the way.

Sounds great, I've done both routes but putting the together is a good idea. Just check the current state of the Whitby-Scarborough rail trail, it was quite rough a few years ago although views are great. there have been a few threads on here.

honesty

Postby honesty » 16 Mar 2016, 11:25am

When I was Google scouting the route as a potential tour this year this did look to be the only area where it could be dodgy. My thoughts at the time were that I was going to be going mid summer and the mud would have hardened enough to cycle on!

AlastairS

Postby AlastairS » 16 Mar 2016, 9:53pm

Thanks to everyone for replies.

Planning to go mid-June.

I could camp if my bike and I can take the extra load. I have some lightweight camping gear. I have a Thorn Addax tourer that is ok for medium weight loads (I need to check what that is).

There are quite a few suggestions for routes. I would need to read up about them before I decide.If you have any suggestions on where to look for information on the routes you recommended that would be appreciated, otherwise I would just do Google searches.
I like the idea of starting and finishing in York, but I might prefer another route.
The Ribble valley and Bowland have been recommended a few times.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 16 Mar 2016, 10:27pm

I think Hadrian's Wall route is worth doing. It can be extended with a Lakes District loop, or Coast and Castles.

http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/ is about the Hadrian's Wall route
http://www.newcastle-edinburgh-cycleway.co.uk/ is about Coast and Castles

Or a double coast to coast? Hadrian's Wall and the W2W route back? http://www.cyclingw2w.info/

C2C? http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

It's a beautiful part of the UK. Enjoy it, whatever you pick :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

honesty

Postby honesty » 17 Mar 2016, 9:01am

There's a number of routes that can be strung together to make a circular route there. From the top of my head there's:
The Reivers Route
Hadrians Cycleway
The C2C
The Walney to Wear route
The Way of the Roses
And the Trans Pennine trail

Any of them could be combined to make a rather nice circular route. Usually they go through, or near, a city with a large train station as well.

Or you could combine them all and do some uber mega zig zag across the north of England.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Mar 2016, 10:03am

AlastairS wrote:The Ribble valley and Bowland have been recommended a few times.

Yes, you don't appreciate it when young. The smoke beckons.

Ribble valley "factoids" - supposedly the queen dreams of retiring there, supposedly has a very low number of traffic lights.

If you need any info on that neck of the woods, let me know. Look forward to hearing more about your trip wherever it ends up.
Sweep

Flite

Postby Flite » 21 Mar 2016, 9:51pm

If you like quiet roads, come to the North Pennines. The C2C passes through, but there are masses of little used roads, extensive views, long steady hills, cyclist friendly cafes etc. Youth hostels at Alston, Langdon Beck, Dufton, Edmundbyers, plus independents.
http://roofofenglandcycling.co.uk
You can ignore the bit about the sportive, unless you just want to check out some challenging routes!