Touring Belgium using Canals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Neville

Touring Belgium using Canals

Post by Neville »

Hallo,

Can anyone offer up some advice on cycling the canals in Belgium, please? I am taking a party of Scouts aged between 10 and 16 years of age to Ypres in July. I am mindful that I need to keep the journey to and from the city as varied as possible for them and looking at the maps it seems possible to follow canals all the way to Ypres. I am assuming that this may be more interest plus safer for the Scouts.
Thank you.
Neville.
Nigelrojo

Re: Touring Belgium using Canals

Post by Nigelrojo »

Last year I followed the Deule canal from Lille to Ypres and later the Leie canal from Menen to Ghent (after following the cycle path alongside the main road from Ypres to Menen). The canal cycle paths were generally fast, smooth and wide. I then went from Ghent to Antwerp on the routes shown on the "Fietsmap" and this was much slower than the canals. One thing to bear in mind in Flanders is the wind; with a southwesterly tailwind I flew from Ypres to Antwerp in a single day, but I wouldn't want to be slogging into that wind.
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

Tried the link its nothing to do with cycling the Belgium canals?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JMaude

Post by JMaude »

Sorry about the link - that was the one I was aiming for but the text thought police decided on something else!