The most countries in one day?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cowsham

Re: The most countries in one day?

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:What's its initial letter... L?

: - )

Jonathan

No i for isle of man :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

.. now where''s the duty pedant?

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Gretna to Flint 150 miles,Scotland,England,Ireland(Liverpool) and ultimately Wales,and back into England making 5-rules do not preclude visiting same couuntry twice.I expect this will upset someone.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You can do 5 different countries in 197 km using cycle.travel routing - Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Belgium again, and France .
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/180342

You can get 6 countries (North Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia. and Bosnia-H) in about 375 km, which is just about do-able if you aren't carrying gear.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Great scope for four countries. All within a theoretical (long) day's ride:

Portugal, Spain, Gibraltar, Spain, Morocco
Gabon, Republic of the Congo, Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria
Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay
Vietnam, Laos, China, Burma
Bhutan, India, Bangladesh, India, Nepal
Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Tajikistan
Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel

Realistically, these rides range from 'what a grand adventure!' to 'well, maybe, if it wasn't the rainy season' to 'don't be daft - you'd never get through those three border checkpoints in a day' to 'don't be daft - you'll get abducted, tortured, rescued, arrested, tortured and shot'.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

It takes most people all day to get out of Cornwall .............................

Happy days,
Attachments
Those hills keep on coming!.jpg
Those hills keep on coming!.jpg (21.98 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It can take two days to get out of Northumberland. On the other hand, it can take just two minutes to change countries.
John
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Three counties are easy, lots of them. Four: the Sussexes, Kent and Surrey is just one option. Five: North Yorks, West Yorks, South Yorks, Notts, Lincs - all pretty flat.
Anyone done any of these? Or the others - I've not looked at Wales!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Slowroad wrote:Three counties are easy, lots of them. Four: the Sussexes, Kent and Surrey is just one option. Five: North Yorks, West Yorks, South Yorks, Notts, Lincs - all pretty flat.

If you are talking counties its probably more how long is your day than how many can i grab!
It would be a reasonable day ride to get Hereford, Monmouth, Glos, Somerset, Wiltdhire and Dorset - you could even be a pedant and claim, South Glos, North Somerset and Bristol if you are using modern sub divisions.

Maybe there should be some restriction like most counties in 100km/miles, or start finish at same point, or in 12/24 hours, or maybe have to visit the county town - the potential is endless.

Back to the thresd title, it wouldn't set a record but how about UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands or Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland - if you were really going for it you could squeeze in Italy too. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:Maybe there should be some restriction like most counties in 100km/miles, or start finish at same point, or in 12/24 hours, or maybe have to visit the county town - the potential is endless.

11 counties in 100 miles by cycle.travel map: Easton on the Hill Northamptonshire to Wothorpe Park Cambridgeshire to Stamford Lincolnshire to Oakham Rutland to Sileby Leicestershire to Stanford on Soar Nottinghamshire to Netherseal Derbyshire to Thorpe Constantine Staffordshire to Shuttington Warwickshire to Marston Green West Midlands to Major's Green Worcestershire.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I cycled around the border of Rutland in the early 90s. About 70 miles from memory. Tougher than it sounds thanks to lots of short steep hills towards the end of my route. This would give you 5 counties: Northampton, Leicester, Lincoln, Cambridge and Rutland (I think).

What's more you end up where you started (camp, hotel, car or whatever).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Slowroad wrote:Three counties are easy, lots of them. Four: the Sussexes, Kent and Surrey is just one option. Five: North Yorks, West Yorks, South Yorks, Notts, Lincs - all pretty flat.

When i'm at home in Sheffield i've often got S Yorks (obv), W Yorks, N Yorks, Lincs, Notts and Derbys all in one ride, so thats 6 - i say often, maybe a couple of times a year. :lol:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

khain wrote:I managed Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Austria in the space of about an hour. I reckon in a day it might be possible to fit Germany and Italy in too.

I reckon about 160km from Montespluga in Italy to Landau in Germany via Liechtenstein, making 5 countries. Mostly downhill too!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

mikeonabike wrote: Mostly downhill too!

All downhill if you started at Lago di Lei - the only corner of Italy that drains into the North Sea.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

khain wrote:I managed Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Austria in the space of about an hour. I reckon in a day it might be possible to fit Germany and Italy in too.

last time i was in that neck of the woods i did CH, FL and A in about ten minutes! :lol: One of the minor Rhein crossings takes you from CH into FL not more than half a km from the border into A! Of course adding Germany is simple enough through Bregenz, its picking your route for the Italian leg thats a bit more tricky :shock: