Trip across Holland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cricklewood_graeme

Trip across Holland

Postby cricklewood_graeme » 5 Apr 2016, 7:24pm

I am planning a trip from Hoek van Holland to Emmerich on the German border. Can anyone tell me if this follows a recognised cycle route and if so which maps to recommend.

Heltor Chasca

Trip across Holland

Postby Heltor Chasca » 5 Apr 2016, 7:29pm

Easy through the NL. The ANWB Fietsatlas is a good map. You won't need the whole thing so just pick up the ANWB map for the section that heads east from HVH. Others may know for Germany.

I lived in Cricklewood for a couple of years about 12 years ago. Say hello for me...b

Tigerbiten

Re: Trip across Holland

Postby Tigerbiten » 5 Apr 2016, 8:08pm

Open BikeHike/OMScycle map to see all the cycle routes.
How direct do you want it ??
LF12 starts at the Hoek and finishes 20 miles from Emmerich. The LF3-D8 will finish the trip.
Most of it will be sign-posted but you may loose it at the odd junction in a city.
But it's not the straightest route ....... :lol:

http://www.holland-cycling.com/where-to ... stingroute

psmiffy

Postby psmiffy » 5 Apr 2016, 10:16pm

You could try the Waal Cycleway

http://www.rhinecycleroute.eu/

Which I suspect is hideously well signposted - probably manage without maps

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 5 Apr 2016, 10:51pm

psmiffy wrote:You could try the Waal Cycleway

http://www.rhinecycleroute.eu/

Which I suspect is hideously well signposted - probably manage without maps

It's LF4 -> http://www.holland-cycling.com/where-to ... rlandroute

Looks a bit straighter than LF12.

psmiffy

Postby psmiffy » 6 Apr 2016, 12:56pm

Tigerbiten wrote:Looks a bit straighter than LF12.

Yup - so many options depending on your bent (thats the mental one not the lying down one) Ive cycled up down and around Holland - I normally just go point to point and do not worry about routes - there is almost always a cycle way - even before the revolution when I lived on the German border as a kid there was a plethora of cycle paths that I used

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 6 Apr 2016, 9:23pm

cricklewood_graeme wrote:I am planning a trip from Hoek van Holland to Emmerich on the German border. Can anyone tell me if this follows a recognised cycle route and if so which maps to recommend.

http://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/ ... erences=63

you can play around with route types as much as you like, or add deviations.

The Button "LF & knooppunten" shows the official signposted cycle routes, and I hope you won't need the strooiroute option (= salted roads)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

iviehoff

Postby iviehoff » 7 Apr 2016, 11:29am

I have been unable to follow cycle routes in the Netherlands by signposts only. There are 3 separate systems of cycle route signposting in the Netherlands, and you don't always get all 3 types of sign at every junction that they all use, it helps to be in a position to follow an alternative set of signposts for a while. The LF signing seems particularly incomplete in places - elsewhere it was very useful.

Another issue is major roadworks. I came across a number of major roadworks, sometimes affecting an extensive area, and signs from some routes had been removed as you could no longer follow that route; moreover on completion of the works, the routes would then change; but during the works there were temporary arrangements, with generic signposting usually of named local destinations, not LF or Knoopunkt style. Without a map to suggest which local destination to follow, or where to go to pick up the route again, it would have been very difficult.

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 7 Apr 2016, 4:47pm

iviehoff wrote:I have been unable to follow cycle routes in the Netherlands by signposts only. There are 3 separate systems of cycle route signposting in the Netherlands, and you don't always get all 3 types of sign at every junction that they all use, it helps to be in a position to follow an alternative set of signposts for a while. The LF signing seems particularly incomplete in places - elsewhere it was very useful.

problem with LF signposts is that the placement is inconsistent (high-low, left-right, in advance or on the other side of the junction) so they are easy to miss. Another trick is a small sign (in Dutch) that you have to follow some other signs to stay on the route!. You'll need a map to get back on track.
Another issue is major roadworks. I came across a number of major roadworks, sometimes affecting an extensive area, and signs from some routes had been removed as you could no longer follow that route; moreover on completion of the works, the routes would then change; but during the works there were temporary arrangements, with generic signposting usually of named local destinations, not LF or Knoopunkt style. Without a map to suggest which local destination to follow, or where to go to pick up the route again, it would have been very difficult.

Best advice is to ignore them. most deviations do not take cyclists into account (they might even send you to a motorway!) . As long as there isn't a bridge missing, sneaking past the works is the (Dutch) way to go
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

ossie

Postby ossie » 10 Apr 2016, 10:29pm

cricklewood_graeme wrote:I am planning a trip from Hoek van Holland to Emmerich on the German border. Can anyone tell me if this follows a recognised cycle route and if so which maps to recommend.

I cycled that route last year via Kleve down to Switzerland on EV15, all on cycle paths and very straightforward. If you need the GPX feel free to pm me .

I worked my route out very easily using this excellent site http://cycle.travel/map

trilathon

Postby trilathon » 20 Apr 2016, 4:44pm

as Holland has circa 13,000 km of ( fietspad )bike paths, just pick a route, any route, and the path ( most likely with at least three options, which one will unknowingly switch betweeen ) will materialise miraculously infront of your wheels :D
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.

iviehoff

Postby iviehoff » 20 Apr 2016, 6:55pm

m-gineering wrote:

Best advice is to ignore them. most deviations do not take cyclists into account (they might even send you to a motorway!) . As long as there isn't a bridge missing, sneaking past the works is the (Dutch) way to go

If they are small enough, you can ignore them, but the troublesome ones were where there was a bridge missing or a tunnel blocked, and we came across several cases. Some, like around Utrecht station, I believe are fairly notorious to the Dutch, due to delays and overruns to the station area remodelling project.

On one occasion they had built some temporary cycle bridges over a motorway while some new cycle underpasses were in construction, but it was very difficult following the detour. We got through in the end. First we had to risk life and limb crossing a road you weren't designed to cross in that location, because we couldn't see how to get somewhere you could, given where we had got to trying the "follow it anyway" approach. Then we couldn't even see the temporary routes. Someone suggested we should go up some narrow and incredibly rough piece of dug-up and soft unmade road it was difficult even to wheel on, but we couldn't see how that helped as we still couldn't see the detour routes. But on returning back down the track, we found some rough paintings on a bollard which told us to go back up the rough road. We almost pushed our bikes down the incomplete tunnels, with more of the soft soil, but suddenly we could see the temporary bridges. Later we ended up in someone's front garden because the route went up someone's drive and the U-turn off the drive through a barrier onto a motorway hard shoulder wasn't at all obvious. And it did include some riding on not-yet-open sections of new motorway.

On one occasion we were rather lucky with the "do it anyway" approach. I later realised someone with modest English had been trying to tell me that the way under a bridge was blocked due to a construction site, but in fact it wasn't any more, the construction site had managed to put in a temporary cycle route through. Had it still been blocked, we would have had to take a high motorway bridge - with cycle lane - over a shipping canal, then follow the other side of the canal to the next bridge some 6 km away. My advisor was trying to save me about 5km of riding which it would have cost had I arrived at the now relieved blockage and had to retrace my steps to where I could get onto the detour route.

pq

Postby pq » 29 Apr 2016, 3:44pm

This is a horribly vague post, but maybe useful for issues to consider.

It's been quite a while since I toured in Holland, but when I did I remember there being two very distinct types of bike route. One was very utilitarian, aimed at getting you to your destination as quickly as possible. They were very good at doing that but often didn't make for nice riding. The other sort were leisure routes. They were less direct and not always well surfaced, but aimed to provide you with a nice ride, which in my experience they did.

As I recall I navigated using downloaded (free) GPS maps which clearly showed the different categories of route, with signs as back-up, although they weren't 100% reliable.

I was very surprised how pleasant riding in Holland was. Normally I like mountains, but I found a lot to enjoy there. I also enjoyed being able to incorporate cities on my route, knowing that crossing them wouldn't be a nightmare.
One link to your website is enough. G