Looking for companion - Cycling Africa (Cairo to Cape Town)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tejsa1

Post by Tejsa1 »

I was told at different sites, that it would be a good idea to post this in here:
Hey
My name is Jonas, I'm from Denmark. I'm 19 years old (Don't care about your age, as long as you're friendly) and will soon finish college. I'm taking a gap year, and I'm looking into a 7-8 months bicycletouring trip:
1. Starting in Cairo, Egypt, and cycling south to Cape Town, South Africa.
Starting in August, September or October 2016. The route can start in Cairo or in Cape Town, it doesn't really matter. The routes then follows: Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. The route is about 12000 - 14000 km and take from 4 months to 7 months. I'm looking for a companion for the entire trip, or mayby we could just start off together.

I'm a funny, friendly and very open-minded person and I can really be with any person. I'm very good at adapting to any sitaution, therefore your riding style doesn't really matter, but my general style is 80-100 km a day plus a rest day every 5th or 7th day (But I can easily adapt to any style!). I like eating what the locals are eating and cooking my own meals.
I'm looking for a friendly, funny and too open-minded person to ride with. Message me, and we can plan this amazing experience!
PS: I haven't done a multi month bicycletouring trip before, but I have done small trips here in my home country :)

But if anyone have any experience, I would like to hear that too :)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I wish you all the best. My experience is Eastern & Southern Afrika. But here's a great resource and the book is ok too as her route is pretty much the same as you plan to right at the beginning and near the end...http://www.helenstakeon.com/desert-snow/

Edit: wording for clarification.
durhambiker

Re: Looking for companion - Cycling Africa (Cairo to Cape To

Post by durhambiker »

Cairo august ave temp 34c...97 f....on fully loaded touring bike.you are a braver man than me.good luck.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

7 months is on the fast side for a direct Cairo to Cape Town, without the cross continent detour to Namibia. It's a lot more complicated than cycling around Europe and the complications, like bad roads and complicated borders to cross, add time. Clearly the supported tour arrangements that periodically occur can do it faster, because they are supported. People do do it independently this fast, but broadly you are proposing to do it fast.

I suggest you read some travelogues for it, see what you think.

Note that because of disturbance in Egypt, you will have to detour to the east along the red sea coast between Cairo and Luxor, not the Nile Valley.

The main hottest part of the tour is Egypt and Sudan, wise to try and do this bit in the local winter. Namibia and the Kalahari more generally can also be very hot, and best to go for the local winter there too.

Quite a lot of people doing this catch malaria.
I haven't done a multi month bicycletouring trip before
And you probably haven't ridden a bicycle in less developed countries before either. If you were hoping to gain from the experience of an experienced tourist, well they'd probably see you as a liability. Of course another inexperienced person your own age would be the best companion, but cycle tourists tend to be very individual and it is difficult being on long tours with another person unless you know each other very well.

I would suggest you do try something a bit less challenging one first then. SE Asia, Latin America, a much more gentle introduction. Much less malarial too - the tourist is 100 times more likely to catch malaria in sub-Saharan Africa than other malarial places. I'd also suggest a less challenging objective, something less likely to fail, and something that gives you more opportunity to see some things along the way. Some people need that A to B objective to get themselves out of bed and keep on turning the pedals, but others prefer to ride interesting routes without the constraint of an objective, which might encourage them to ride the boring main road so that atehy arrive in time. A lot of people guess that Africa will be very cheap, but actually it isn't. If you pick your countries, you can spend a lot less in Asia and Latin America.

Also, research the weather. In every month of the year there are many places with relatively pleasant weather to be cycling a bike. If its 40C and humid where you have ended up, you probably aren't having much fun, and could even be putting your health at risk if you are engaging in vigorous exercise. You may prefer to be somewhere with nice weather instead, which probably could, with a bit of thought, have been arranged.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

I admire the spirit, but also wonder if it's the best option? I've done several +/-1,000 mile bicycle tours in South Africa and Swaziland, and have also traveled to most countries in Africa that are south of the equator. To me, the route you are planning just seems more like hard work than a pleasure. It is do-able of that I agree, but would it be enjoyable? A lot of this route is riding for day after day and seeing very little, e.g the stretch after Malawi will take you through the bottom of Zambia, through Botswana then Namibia. That is 1,000's of miles with very little to see. Botswana for has some great places there like the Okavanga Delta, but you're not going to see that on a bicycle. Maybe, for your 7-8 month rather do something like fly to Cape Town and home from Nairobi? That way you can spend more time off the bike and experience things like the Kruger National Park (also not possible on a bicycle), surfing in Jeffrey's Bay, etc.
The other thing that must not be underestimated when travelling over land in Africa is border posts, and the ability they have to spoil you day, plans, and even holiday. The less borders you cross, the better.
What ever route you choose, I suggest you start in Cape Town and head north. South Africa is the most "first world" of all African countries and the further north you go the more roads, etc get tougher. Still great fun, but you are going to have a culture shock, so rather ease into it.
Good luck what ever route you choose, and let us know how you get on.
JackWilliam

Re: Looking for companion - Cycling Africa (Cairo to Cape Town)

Post by JackWilliam »

Hey man! Write me at dubjackgreatorex@gmail.com - I am planning this trip soon. It all depends on if I gather enough funds. I am living in Norway and want to cycle to my home, Cape Town. 22, chilled. I am thinking around June. Lets chat brother. Peace :D