Light(er) Tyres for Summer and Maybe Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Light(er) Tyres for Summer and Maybe Touring

Post by simonhill »

I used to use the old Schwalbe Marathon originals. Over the years, I have used two versions, both HS3xxx I think. They were a good compromise of wear, puncture proof, weight, grip, etc. Then Schwalbe ruined them by putting in the green guard strip.

The new ones are heavy, slow and give a very harsh ride. Much as I appreciate puncture proofing in some places I cycle, on the whole they are a pain.

I know you can still find the old style, but I would rather move on to something manufactured more recently. I usually get through a set a year.

My question is what lighter, but fairly resilient tyres would anyone recommend? I was wondering about Supremes.

Firstly I want them for leisure riding in the UK during the summer. If suitable, I will then use for my winter touring which is usually a few months somewhere hot and exotic, but normally paved. I'm fairly light and just carry 2 rear panniers. 26" LHT.

Any thoughts?
trilathon

Re: Light(er) Tyres for Summer and Maybe Touring

Post by trilathon »

I put some of the more fancy folding ones on last time, and they are noticeably better ride than those old rigid hosepipes.... i think they are either supreme or dureme, anyway, never had a puncture in crossing 9 countries, and there's still plenty of life left in them despite off road excursions and my current lardyness, plus camping and cooking gear. Amazing. I've just swapped the front and rear around and guess they are about half way through their lifespan.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
irc

Post by irc »

My old everyday shopping/pub local tour MTB had 26x2 Supremes on it. They wore out before they punctured. Fast and comfy too. Can't see past them if they come in the size you want.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Marathon Mondials are hard wearing but you pay a premium for the extra durability - I'm not sure whether in terms of cost per mile they are better normal tyres.

Otherwise maybe Continental Duraskins etc.

Really and good quality tyre with kevlar anti-puncture mesh will be fine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I haven't ridden on Supremes, but I fitted them to bikes belonging to my wife and daughter last summer for a cycle camping fortnight in Provence. My wife has since used them on her commute to work. They immediately struck me as very good looking, apparently very well made tyres, and for a touring tyre they seemed very light. The tread is minimal, which I like. Neither my wife or my daughter has punctured with them, so I would say that they are certainly puncture resistant. They also seem to last. I think they may well be the tyre you are looking for.
jk49

Post by jk49 »

How about Vittoria randonneur pro's? I've been running a pair for about 18 months for general utility riding and a couple of tours. They have been gentle off-roading on tracks, gravel and singletrack, but don't really have enough tread for slippery stuff. Touch wood, no visitations as yet. Seem light and quick in 26 x 1.5". Won't break the bank either, keep an eye out on P-X.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

You will be amazed how much faster and more comfortable 50 mm Big Apples are. They are my favourite allround touring tyre. Of course, if you go off road a lot, and particularly if it is wet and muddy, you need more tread. Similarly, in cold winters I fit Conti Topcontact WInter ii tyres. However, this is probably not what you are planning. So Big Apples would be my choice: fast, comfy, pretty puncture proof, long lasting and affordable. If you want to splash out (with a lot of money) there is also the Compass Rat Trap Pass in just over 50 mm. They are very fast and very comfortable, but sacrifice longevity and reliability. And they are expensive.
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

+1 for Supremes. I have the 1.6" folding version on my Thorn Raven and it has transformed the ride, very responsive to acclertraton (particularly noticeable when climbing Cornish hills) and comfortable . I have used them for fully loaded touring last summer and kept them on all winter on some very rough Cornish lanes. No punctures to date.
mjr

Post by mjr »

andymiller wrote:Really and good quality tyre with kevlar anti-puncture mesh will be fine.

I like Schwalbe K Guard tyres which are mainly called something cruiser. Vittoria have some nice tyres too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've used marathon supremes on my touring bike for the last few years and really like them. However on my new bike I've fitted Vittoria Voyager Hypers (if you look around the forum you will see a lot of mention of these tyres) and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised at how good a ride they seem to have. Not done a back to back comparison as they are on different bikes, but I'd certainly recommend hypers as worth a look.