Advice / Touring Partner wanted for UK to Scandinavia!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RobCyclist

Advice / Touring Partner wanted for UK to Scandinavia!

Post by RobCyclist »

Hi people,

I'm looking at doing some cycle touring this summer, as would have just finished my university course, and don't want to go straight into employment.

I'm interested in the Nordic / Scandinavian nations, and after doing some research it seems like most ferry services to these countries have been cut off. However, I've managed to find a way to Bergen, Norway for not a bad price which I'm considering getting on around July time this year (would be a cargo ship) departing from a place near Hull.

I am looking for any advice or a touring partner if someone was interested. I'm twenty, would prefer someone around my age range but can understand that might be limited. Would consider myself an alright cyclist, longest tour currently I've been on is slightly over 500 miles, and longest in a day has been 95 miles. I do prefer a more relaxed pace tho (normally around 60 - 80 miles a day) but not really bothered about mileage.

The plan currently is to end in Gothenburg Sweden, going through Bergen and Oslo along official Norwegian cycle routes. On the English side I've created a mostly off-road route based on some NCN routes from London to Hull.

I would like to keep it low cost, but I've been told Norway is expensive as hell so not sure how possible that would be. Anyone got any advice on that? The plan is to youth hostel / wild camp but would be interesting to hear how much you might be expected to pay for necessities on an average day, like food and water.

Also wondering about the terrain. I've had experience in the lake district on my way up to Scotland but other than that not had a great deal of experience with hill climbing (which is got me concerned as part of the route is called the Rallarvegen that would go over some mountains). Would you recommend practicing hill climbing before going there?

I would likely fly back (with the bike) from Gothenburg. I'm hoping that a local bike shop would sell a large bag and the airline would allow it, I've read sometimes they can be fussy though so hope that would work.

Also I understand that there are long distances between the towns in Norway / Sweden, which therefore makes more sense having a cycling partner in case something went wrong and would make it more enjoyable too.

I've attached the planned route (in BLACK)

(RED = in case I enjoy Scandinavia so much and want to go on a further challenge / adventure lol) but Helsinki might be a bit too much.

If you had any additional advice on either the red / black route then that would be appreciated. Or if on the off chance you were interested just let me know.

Cheers,
Rob
Heltor Chasca

Re: Advice / Touring Partner wanted for UK to Scandinavia!

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Rob. Great route and good to see the Skandi nations. Expensive. Do it while you can. Vorpal on here will have some wise advise. My advise it not to get too hung up on finding a partner. I understand why you may want a companion. This may come as you travel. People naturally chat to cyclists and you are bound to happen across them in a campsite or hostel. Enjoy....b

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

I'd agree with the partner thing. It's all very well and good having company in the evenings, but I always find the cycling more enjoyable when I can just go at my own pace. Also, you get to meet more new people if you have to make the extra effort for some conversation. With regards to practicing for the mountains, I wouldn't bother. Just make sure you've got the correct gearing, don't carry too much weight and listen to your body. You'll soon ride yourself fit and will find that on day 10 you can easily climb hills that would have you off and pushing on day 1.

I haven't done Scandinavia (yet) so can't help you there, but the UK leg looks a bit bonkers to me. It may be off road, but it looks like someone joined the dots between all the hilly bits on the way! Why not just head across Cambridgeshire and around The Wash following the coast? The only worry you would have is the wind and there's loads of quiet roads to follow.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

My only input on this is the partner issue.
I spent last June & July with 3 others in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan doing the Pamir Highway.
Nice folk as individuals but group cycling wasn't my thing. Too many variables to make it work.
Maybe if it had been just one other, it would have worked.

Folk go at different speeds and have different needs.
So my next trip, to Sri Lanka, will be solo.

Good luck with your trip.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Re the red route across Sweden and into Finland: I hope you like trees!

Paradoxically I don't think Scandinavia has to be a big spend. If you camp wild most nights, don't stop at cafes for coffee, don't drink alcohol, certainly don't eat out, I reckon you can do £20-25 a day, although the pound is getting a hammering at the moment in the run up to Brexit.

I always think if you're doing too many miles per day you're doing it wrong - your attitude sounds about right to me. I would imagine that by the time you get to the Rallarvegen you'll be toughened up and ready for it by the way, but if you want to do training rides, do. I never used to but now I'm getting on a bit I put in a few practice rides before each tour - I do my normal hilly rides but with a few litres of water in each pannier. The advantage of water as ballast is if I get tired I can just tip it away.

Bike packaging depends on the individual airline. If it's SAS I think you'll find they don't even insist on a bag for your bike, just turn the bars take off the pedals and take your chances. But check first, and always have a paper printout of the regs to hand when you check in just in case the staff aren't up to speed. Although you'll find Scandinavian airport staff to be a lot less shitty than their UK counterparts, especially at smaller airports.

I also prefer to tour alone, although you might find in Scandinavia that some days the only people you speak to are stacking shelves in supermarkets.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Hi Rob. Great route and good to see the Skandi nations. Expensive. Do it while you can. Vorpal on here will have some wise advise. My advise it not to get too hung up on finding a partner. I understand why you may want a companion. This may come as you travel. People naturally chat to cyclists and you are bound to happen across them in a campsite or hostel. Enjoy....b

Thanks man, that's a good point. Hopefully I'll find some people along the way.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

mullinsm wrote:I'd agree with the partner thing. It's all very well and good having company in the evenings, but I always find the cycling more enjoyable when I can just go at my own pace. Also, you get to meet more new people if you have to make the extra effort for some conversation. With regards to practicing for the mountains, I wouldn't bother. Just make sure you've got the correct gearing, don't carry too much weight and listen to your body. You'll soon ride yourself fit and will find that on day 10 you can easily climb hills that would have you off and pushing on day 1.

I haven't done Scandinavia (yet) so can't help you there, but the UK leg looks a bit bonkers to me. It may be off road, but it looks like someone joined the dots between all the hilly bits on the way! Why not just head across Cambridgeshire and around The Wash following the coast? The only worry you would have is the wind and there's loads of quiet roads to follow.

Good point. Forgot to check about the hills / elevation on the UK route.

The original elevation map is the top picture and does seem pretty bizarre lol, bottom one is an updated one going through cambridgshire. Cheers for all the advice.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

matt2matt2002 wrote:So my next trip, to Sri Lanka, will be solo.

Good luck with your trip.

Thanks, you too.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

hufty wrote:Re the red route across Sweden and into Finland: I hope you like trees!

Paradoxically I don't think Scandinavia has to be a big spend. If you camp wild most nights, don't stop at cafes for coffee, don't drink alcohol, certainly don't eat out, I reckon you can do £20-25 a day, although the pound is getting a hammering at the moment in the run up to Brexit.

I always think if you're doing too many miles per day you're doing it wrong - your attitude sounds about right to me. I would imagine that by the time you get to the Rallarvegen you'll be toughened up and ready for it by the way, but if you want to do training rides, do. I never used to but now I'm getting on a bit I put in a few practice rides before each tour - I do my normal hilly rides but with a few litres of water in each pannier. The advantage of water as ballast is if I get tired I can just tip it away.

Bike packaging depends on the individual airline. If it's SAS I think you'll find they don't even insist on a bag for your bike, just turn the bars take off the pedals and take your chances. But check first, and always have a paper printout of the regs to hand when you check in just in case the staff aren't up to speed. Although you'll find Scandinavian airport staff to be a lot less shitty than their UK counterparts, especially at smaller airports.

I also prefer to tour alone, although you might find in Scandinavia that some days the only people you speak to are stacking shelves in supermarkets.

Trees are alright.

But on a serious note £20-25 a day doesn't sound bad at all :)

Is that with having a camping stove in mind? Not sure if I would want the extra weight, as normally I carry a fair abit as it is (and would be more this time since I would feel the need for emergency food and water - just in case I had to walk to the nearest town or something like that).

Thanks for all the advice too.

Rob
CBreeze

Post by CBreeze »

I did the following at the end of last June (15) with a similar Gothenburg to Bergen route to yours:

11807241_10155877764180635_3115430447435032155_o.jpg

Norway (Oslo to Trondheim) was the highlight easily due to the dramatic landscape and also the hardest cycling for the same reason. Random bits of information that may or may not be useful to you:

- Yes Norway is expensive but as ever there is always a way to keep it manageable. I only wild camped once in Norway and still spent little on this trip as a whole. I found most campsites pretty cheap (as low as £4-5 but more commonly £10-15) and I had cooking equipment so usually just cooked pasta/tuna/pesto in the evening and whatever reasonably priced cold food I could find for breakfast and lunch. I bought food in supermarkets 99% of the time. Some people might argue you miss out on the local cuisine etc but if it's that or not go it's still well worth going in my opinion. I have a bad sweet tooth so felt their policy of taxing sweets etc worked well as I didn't touch the stuff after seeing the prices. That is until a Canadian cyclist I met told me she buys cooking chocolate from the bakery section of supermarkets as a work around :mrgreen: .
- Small portions of the open cycle map routes I did not find enjoyable because of fast roads and little verge and sometimes I managed to find dirt tracks through the forest that ran parallel and were much nicer. Some of these dirt tracks seemed to be private and often had toll information at the start of them although no obvious method or place to pay (or even anyone at all on these tracks). The exception was a dirt track through a national park out of Dovre where there was a manned toll booth at the high point of the track but when I got off my bike to approach the guy in there I was met with a smile and "'bicycle free". If some of these tracks are private it would possibly explain random gaps in the national cycle routes such as this one (http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=11&la ... yers=B0000).
- Unless you can find dirt roads the routes you can see on Open cycle Map in Norway are sometimes the only option because of large/fast tunnel/roads that are illegal for cyclists to use on the other roads.
- I managed to wild camp only once inside Norway itself (it was easier in Sweden) which was before I truly got into the mountains and fjord areas. Around the fjords it seems the only flat spaces are man-made flat areas such as a road or the garden of a house - neither of which may be ideal for camping! It may have helped slightly if I had a free standing tent as you might be able to find a flat rock to sleep on(!) but as I mentioned I could find reasonably priced campsites which would often have kitchen, showers and fellow (cycle) tourists to chat to. They would also mean I had access to drinking water. Whenever I wild camped I had to buy a load of bottles which could cost more than a campsite if I bought a lot at a tiny convenience store somewhere...
- The Rallarvegen was closed last year due do it being still snowed under (start of July 15). I attempted it anyway and went as far as possible, pushing my bike through snow in the end before I had to bite the bullet and take the train at Finse until Myrdal.
- On my route above you can see that gap in the purple line just east of Bergen where I also had the take the train (Arna - Dale) due to tunnels not legal for cyclists. This may also be the case on your route. Open Cycle Map route 4 goes up to a random little tourist steam train station at Garnes for which I never figured out timetable or whether they take bikes etc so went back to the mainline at Arna. There are only a set amount of bike spaces on these Bergen - Oslo trains. I never had a problem with space but once took the last space and saw people trying to buy tickets with bikes after me being told they'll have to wait until the next train so guess I got lucky.
- Even though it barely gets dark in the summer lights are essential for the tunnels.
- Although not unpleasant in anyway I didn't find Swedish part of the route particularity inspiring compared to the Norwegian part although it was obviously easier to ride.
- One afternoon in Sweden I cycled with and wild camped with a cycle tourist from Switzerland who had wild camped every night for three months on his trip from Switzerland and just spent a small amount of money stocking up on food from supermarkets when he needed to so goes to show it can be done on the extreme cheap if that is your thing.
- On the route above I never felt I was anywhere remote enough to be worrying about finding help if something went badly wrong. Although many roads are nice quiet cycling roads you are never far from at least a house/farm/tourist or a passing vehicle if you wait around. Also my phone signal seemed better than at home in the UK.
- As for flying home with bike it was all pretty cheap and pain free with Norwegian from Trondheim back to Gatwick. I paid about 20 quid for me and 30 for the bike. A local bike shop got a box for me for free which was good of them because they didn't have one immediately so gave me a call when they did. (I personally wouldn't be comfortable using a bag but plenty of others do). The only annoying thing I remember was having the throw my new (for that trip) MSR stove away at the airport because it has been used and wouldn't have even been allowed in the checked luggage (the used fuel bottle was absolutely no problem and I still have that).

Overall I really enjoyed the trip and Norway was easily the most memorable part :D

I think your trip looks great and I like the idea of taking a cargo vessel out there. I found the England part of my trip one of the most enjoyable parts outside of Norway. Ideally I wanted to take a ferry back to UK but with the difficulty of it and time constraints opted for the plane instead. Some may advise training but I personally never train for cycle touring and just count the first few days of it as 'training' : )
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Each airline is individual as to what it demands of cyclists, and what it charges. So don't assume you'll be OK, but look very carefully at the rules and charges concerning bicycles of any airline you are considering booking with. Some airlines let you put your bike on in a soft bag, some demand a stiff box, and some demand a small box or boxes that would require very extensive dismantling. Sometimes the airport also matters, for example Norwegian refuses to load bicycles at Gatwick.

I have a suspicion that you will find Norway more boring as you get closer to Oslo, and you might wish you were back in the mountains after that. Cycling doesn't have to be steep if the road goes around the mountain rather than over it. From Bergen you can follow a signpost cycle routes northwards along the coast all the way to Bodo that is mostly not very hilly, but still has magnificent mountain and fjord scenery.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

CBreeze wrote:I did the following at the end of last June (15) with a similar Gothenburg to Bergen route to yours:

11807241_10155877764180635_3115430447435032155_o.jpg

Norway (Oslo to Trondheim) was the highlight easily due to the dramatic landscape and also the hardest cycling for the same reason. Random bits of information that may or may not be useful to you:

- Yes Norway is expensive but as ever there is always a way to keep it manageable. I only wild camped once in Norway and still spent little on this trip as a whole. I found most campsites pretty cheap (as low as £4-5 but more commonly £10-15) and I had cooking equipment so usually just cooked pasta/tuna/pesto in the evening and whatever reasonably priced cold food I could find for breakfast and lunch. I bought food in supermarkets 99% of the time. Some people might argue you miss out on the local cuisine etc but if it's that or not go it's still well worth going in my opinion. I have a bad sweet tooth so felt their policy of taxing sweets etc worked well as I didn't touch the stuff after seeing the prices. That is until a Canadian cyclist I met told me she buys cooking chocolate from the bakery section of supermarkets as a work around :mrgreen: .
- Small portions of the open cycle map routes I did not find enjoyable because of fast roads and little verge and sometimes I managed to find dirt tracks through the forest that ran parallel and were much nicer. Some of these dirt tracks seemed to be private and often had toll information at the start of them although no obvious method or place to pay (or even anyone at all on these tracks). The exception was a dirt track through a national park out of Dovre where there was a manned toll booth at the high point of the track but when I got off my bike to approach the guy in there I was met with a smile and "'bicycle free". If some of these tracks are private it would possibly explain random gaps in the national cycle routes such as this one (http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=11&la ... yers=B0000).
- Unless you can find dirt roads the routes you can see on Open cycle Map in Norway are sometimes the only option because of large/fast tunnel/roads that are illegal for cyclists to use on the other roads.
- I managed to wild camp only once inside Norway itself (it was easier in Sweden) which was before I truly got into the mountains and fjord areas. Around the fjords it seems the only flat spaces are man-made flat areas such as a road or the garden of a house - neither of which may be ideal for camping! It may have helped slightly if I had a free standing tent as you might be able to find a flat rock to sleep on(!) but as I mentioned I could find reasonably priced campsites which would often have kitchen, showers and fellow (cycle) tourists to chat to. They would also mean I had access to drinking water. Whenever I wild camped I had to buy a load of bottles which could cost more than a campsite if I bought a lot at a tiny convenience store somewhere...
- The Rallarvegen was closed last year due do it being still snowed under (start of July 15). I attempted it anyway and went as far as possible, pushing my bike through snow in the end before I had to bite the bullet and take the train at Finse until Myrdal.
- On my route above you can see that gap in the purple line just east of Bergen where I also had the take the train (Arna - Dale) due to tunnels not legal for cyclists. This may also be the case on your route. Open Cycle Map route 4 goes up to a random little tourist steam train station at Garnes for which I never figured out timetable or whether they take bikes etc so went back to the mainline at Arna. There are only a set amount of bike spaces on these Bergen - Oslo trains. I never had a problem with space but once took the last space and saw people trying to buy tickets with bikes after me being told they'll have to wait until the next train so guess I got lucky.
- Even though it barely gets dark in the summer lights are essential for the tunnels.
- Although not unpleasant in anyway I didn't find Swedish part of the route particularity inspiring compared to the Norwegian part although it was obviously easier to ride.
- One afternoon in Sweden I cycled with and wild camped with a cycle tourist from Switzerland who had wild camped every night for three months on his trip from Switzerland and just spent a small amount of money stocking up on food from supermarkets when he needed to so goes to show it can be done on the extreme cheap if that is your thing.
- On the route above I never felt I was anywhere remote enough to be worrying about finding help if something went badly wrong. Although many roads are nice quiet cycling roads you are never far from at least a house/farm/tourist or a passing vehicle if you wait around. Also my phone signal seemed better than at home in the UK.
- As for flying home with bike it was all pretty cheap and pain free with Norwegian from Trondheim back to Gatwick. I paid about 20 quid for me and 30 for the bike. A local bike shop got a box for me for free which was good of them because they didn't have one immediately so gave me a call when they did. (I personally wouldn't be comfortable using a bag but plenty of others do). The only annoying thing I remember was having the throw my new (for that trip) MSR stove away at the airport because it has been used and wouldn't have even been allowed in the checked luggage (the used fuel bottle was absolutely no problem and I still have that).

Overall I really enjoyed the trip and Norway was easily the most memorable part :D

I think your trip looks great and I like the idea of taking a cargo vessel out there. I found the England part of my trip one of the most enjoyable parts outside of Norway. Ideally I wanted to take a ferry back to UK but with the difficulty of it and time constraints opted for the plane instead. Some may advise training but I personally never train for cycle touring and just count the first few days of it as 'training' : )

Wow, amazing response. I really appreciate all this information. I would love to give a longer reply but am in exam week right now. Your route does seem like a hell of a journey, must have been tired after all that.

Have you got any pictures / videos of you journey? Would be interested in looking at them if you had, but don't feel you have to go out of you way to share them.

And thanks I was a bit confused why the cycle route had a missing part between Arna to Dale. So that helps knowing you can't cycle on it. I went on google streetview before and noticed there was a tunnel, just assumed that you were still allowed through it (just not advised).

Also didn't expect the Rallarvegen to be closed in July. Would you recommend going later in August instead? Although I've heard the summer season ends earlier there... so not sure if that would be worth it.

I'll ask (if you don't mind) at this point: http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=14&la ... yers=B0000 between Mydral and Upsete at the west side of the Rallarvegen there is another gap. My research has shown you need to go by train for this section, although I see a small path route on that map (probably a stupid idea to attempt lol). You seem to have went north from Mydral to Flam (which I would quite like to check out also), so not sure if you would know about the Mydral to Upsette line. Just worried that I might have to book said train in advance or wait 5 hours or something as it seems like a very remote station.

Good to know it was easy flying back, and good idea about dirt tracks.

Also did you bring any hard maps with you (if yes, do you might me asking which ones)? I have a Garmin which I will load the cycle routes on. But I don't particularly want to be too reliant on it considering there probably will be a limited number of places that I could buy Double A batteries from.

Do you mind if I send you any more questions closer to the date if I can think of any burning ones ?

Cheers
Rob
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

iviehoff wrote:Each airline is individual as to what it demands of cyclists, and what it charges. So don't assume you'll be OK, but look very carefully at the rules and charges concerning bicycles of any airline you are considering booking with. Some airlines let you put your bike on in a soft bag, some demand a stiff box, and some demand a small box or boxes that would require very extensive dismantling. Sometimes the airport also matters, for example Norwegian refuses to load bicycles at Gatwick.

I have a suspicion that you will find Norway more boring as you get closer to Oslo, and you might wish you were back in the mountains after that. Cycling doesn't have to be steep if the road goes around the mountain rather than over it. From Bergen you can follow a signpost cycle routes northwards along the coast all the way to Bodo that is mostly not very hilly, but still has magnificent mountain and fjord scenery.

yeah I probably would find the scenery in Sweden boring and whatnot, but I've been wanting to go to the country for a while now so happy to try it. And thanks for all the info.
Rob
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=104068&hilit=norway has links to other threads about Norway.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86142 includes some advice about food shopping in Norway

Rallarvegen is a great route. It's usually done from Haugestøl to Flåm because the other way has about 1350 metres of climbing. There is one very, very steep hill. You will need to either take the Flåmsbana up, or plan on pushing most of that climb. Some people can ride up it on an unburdened mountain bike. I don't think I could do it. I wouldn't consider trying with a loaded bike. You can walk up the worst part (maybe 400 or 500 metres climb?) and probably ride up the rest. Be careful, because others may not expect traffic against the normal flow. You can camp at the top. Rallarvegen can easily be done in one day going west. I would leave two days, going east.

Last year Rallarvegen was closed most of last summer because of unusually high snow falls. I think the section between Finse and Haugestøl opened in July, but the rest didn't open until late July or early August. Even in September, I had to cross 3 or 4 longish sections of deep snow from the previous winter. Rallarvegen is more likely to be open in august, but there is no guarantee that it will open at all. I would probably chance it, and plan an alternative, in case it's not open.

One possible alternative might be the road known as snøveien (snow road) fv243 over Aurland fjell. It is an asphalt public road, so it is plowed when practicable. That will certainly be open in July, even if there is still snow up there. There is a climb up from Aurland that is well-known among Norwegian cyclists (it is used in some road races), and a stunning view point (Stegestein) at the top. Then you can go on to Borgund Stavkirk (stave church). That does require using a bit of the E16, which isn't the nicest road to cycle on, but if you use it in the middle of the day (not during peak times), that section isn't too bad, and you can switch to rv or fv roads after a bit; I don't remember exactly how far it is (it's only a few miles in my mind), but I can check if you are interested in that route.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

CBreeze wrote:- Small portions of the open cycle map routes I did not find enjoyable because of fast roads and little verge and sometimes I managed to find dirt tracks through the forest that ran parallel and were much nicer. Some of these dirt tracks seemed to be private and often had toll information at the start of them although no obvious method or place to pay (or even anyone at all on these tracks). The exception was a dirt track through a national park out of Dovre where there was a manned toll booth at the high point of the track but when I got off my bike to approach the guy in there I was met with a smile and "'bicycle free". If some of these tracks are private it would possibly explain random gaps in the national cycle routes such as this one (http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=11&la ... yers=B0000).

There are good cycle routes all over Norway, but they aren't always obvious from maps. If you don't see something on a map, the best thing to do is to ask a local cyclist. cyclists don't have to pay tolls on the forest roads. The fees are usually, but not always for parking a car, rather than an actual toll. It is legal everywhere to walk and cycle on private land, as long as you don't disturb crops or intrude on people's privacy.

CBreeze wrote:- I managed to wild camp only once inside Norway itself (it was easier in Sweden) which was before I truly got into the mountains and fjord areas. Around the fjords it seems the only flat spaces are man-made flat areas such as a road or the garden of a house - neither of which may be ideal for camping! It may have helped slightly if I had a free standing tent as you might be able to find a flat rock to sleep on(!) but as I mentioned I could find reasonably priced campsites which would often have kitchen, showers and fellow (cycle) tourists to chat to. They would also mean I had access to drinking water. Whenever I wild camped I had to buy a load of bottles which could cost more than a campsite if I bought a lot at a tiny convenience store somewhere...

It can be difficult to find camping along the fjords. Often, if you can go up from a road, near a farm, you can find a flat place. If you ask at tourist information for a map for walking/hiking tours in the area, there is often good camping within reach of a rural footpath, and it's usually possible to get a bike there. If you ask farmers, they will usually know where people can camp, or may give permission to camp on their farm.

In theory bicycles on the Oslo - Bergen line must have a booked space. In practice, during weekedays, you probably won't have to wait more than one train if you don't book. However, there are events where groups do Rallarvegen and book all the bike spaces on a given day, or something. I was caught out by something like that once, but you can always check with NSB a day or two in advance.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom