Merthyr Tydfil routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heathbrook

Merthyr Tydfil routes

Post by Heathbrook »

Hi!
I am working in Merthyr for a few days next week and I am thinking about getting out for a ride in the evenings. It is a road bike with 25mm Continental tyres. I would be out alone
I have thought about the NCN 8 to Brecon. Has anyone rode it recently? Would I be ok with road tyres?
Any suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks
whoof

Re: Merthyr Tydfil routes

Post by whoof »

The Sustrans web-site says that a road bike is probably not suitable due to the range of path surfaces.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... -to-brecon

'utilises many path types, from old railway line converted to dust cycle path, to forest roads, undulating forest paths, minor roads and canal towpath'
pwa

Post by pwa »

Following the Taff Trail to Brecon would be a good idea. Just miss out any forestry trails (easy) and use the minor roads instead. Hay on Wye is reachable if you want to go further. Lovely area.
meic

Post by meic »

There are some pretty impressive bits of road around there.
In the evenings and on a Sunday the main roads like the A470 will not be as bad as you think. I actually quite enjoyed our regular Audax that used the A470 from Brecon to Merthyr, the descent down to the Merthyr turning was quite exhilarating.
A quick ride to LLwyn reservoir, over the top to the Penderyn distillery, down to Hirwaun (possible spur off to climb the Rhigos (A4061) just to turn round and fly back down again.
Also from Hirwaun the B4434 and other back roads (not A465 Heads of Valley) down to Neath and back.
An evenings ride on such roads should have your legs and brakes burning.

Or you can take the somewhat easier (have I just called Torpantau easy?) combination of route 8 and minor roads Ponsticil-Torpantau-Talybont-Brecon as suggested by pwa. All of these routes have featured in the local Audax rides.
Yma o Hyd
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

Slight change of plans. Work took me to Rhayader, so I had a ride around Elan Valley yesterday. I tried to get to Cwm Ystwyth but the snow started to come down and I felt very exposed when I was above the tree line. I was soaked and the temperature was around 0*c. So I had to turn back.
Great cycling country, though. There is also an excellent bike shop at the end of the town closest to the lakes. Very helpful and friendly. I will be heading back there when the weather improves
meic

Post by meic »

I will be heading back there when the weather improves

Are you feeling energetic?

http://www.gladestry.com/Project/AudaxRoutes/
Yma o Hyd
jk49

Post by jk49 »

+1 for the bike shop in Rhayader.(clive powell I think). Helped me out with emergency rim tape last year. Very reasonable price and jumped me up the queue to get me on my way. Lovely area too.