What gilet for summer?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikes4two

Re: What gilet for summer?

Post by bikes4two »

I am the OP of this thread and thank you to all respondents – between you, you have helped me marshal my thoughts and I now await my purchase to arrive.

In summary my requirements evolved to:
(a) the need for an insulating layer during non-active periods which for me was primarily on long alpine descents having probably got sweaty on the way up and feeling the chill badly on the way down!
(b) and secondly (but definitely subsidiary to the first), a warm garment to ward off the chill evenings around the tent
(c) something not too bulky or heavy to go in with my other camping luggage

I considered synthetic material versus down, and following various comments up thread, three garment types – gilet, jacket, and jacket with hood.

Down was pricey but appeared to offer better warmth to weight, good lofting and compressibility. Synthetic was less pricey and offered better resistance to damp conditions, although the hydrophobic treatment available for down mitigated this problem to some degree.

The gilet was obviously the most minimal in terms of packed size but the jacket with hood appealed in respect of overall warmth when using on chill evenings (and I do suffer from getting cold easily).

Over a few days I tried on most of the combinations above and settled on a RAB microlight Alpine jacket with hood. Why – well, the fit (XL) was good for me and the jacket arms and back were a good length and did not feel bulky when worn underneath my waterproof out layer (so even less worries about getting the down wet). The hood gave a great snug feeling when up and when not up it didn’t feel as though it would be uncomfortable if worn with a helmet. Further, the collar was still a good fit around the neck with or without the hood up.

On top of the I felt most comfortable in the RAB and Mrs bikes4two liked it the best too :lol:

This jacket is a down jacket using 750 loft goose down and the Cotswold Outdoor RRP of £180 was rather off-putting – so £156 after club discount. Interestingly Cotswold Outdoor have a price match policy whereby if the same garment/size/colour is available in the UK elsewhere (including Web stores), then they’d match the price.

Out came the smartphone for a web search whereupon Taunton Leisure had the product in my size but a different colour and on ‘clearance’ for £120 – SOLD to the man with a big smile. :) :) :)

I will update this thread when I return from my Alps descent later in the year to let you know how the garment was.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

bikes4two wrote:I am the OP of this thread and thank you to all respondents .....................

I will update this thread when I return from my Alps descent later in the year to let you know how the garment was.

Now back from the trip - so an update on the RAB and how I found it:

> I cycled over the St Gotthard pass on the 7th July this year.
> The ascent was from the south side and the air temperatures lower down were in the low 30DegC range
> It was a hot and sweaty ascent over 4hrs and the Bratwurst, chips and coffee at the top were most welcome
> There was still evidence of snow at the top of the pass and the air temperature was very cool and even before I'd finished the food and coffee I was getting quite cold - so out RAB jacket with windproof top over
> The descent to the campsite at Andermatt was 12Km and it was fast and cold - I was very glad to have the RAB on
> The next day it was a further 38Km downhill to Altdorf. The ambient temperature at Andermatt was about 14DegC at 0800 and damp and overcast. The RAB jacket and windproof top were out in force - it was damn chilly after being in the low 30's for the previous week.
> Later in the trip we hit a 3-day period of rain and low evening temperatures and the RAB jacket was a welcome piece of kit to wear during the evening periods around the campsite (and one evening I needed it to supplement my summer weight sleeping bag)

In summary, for me who gets cold easily and quickly (low thyroid function), taking the RAB jacket on this particular summer trip made my travels comfortable where without it I would have suffered badly from the cold.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

If you want to save brass use a bin bag with 3 holes: lighweight, takes no room up.
I really saved with this. I scrounged the bag.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Pete Jack wrote:If you want to save brass use a bin bag with 3 holes: lighweight, takes no room up.

[emoji23] Brilliant. And yet your leather saddle remains open to the elements. On this occasion only you escape my wrath. [emoji83]
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

And i forgot to mention: 100% windproof.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:[emoji23] Brilliant. And yet your leather saddle remains open to the elements. On this occasion only you escape my wrath. [emoji83]

That's because I was about to get on it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Pete Jack wrote:If you want to save brass use a bin bag with 3 holes: lighweight, takes no room up.

A hiz-viz gilet over the top of that holds it down nicely when it's windy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Ingenious, cheap and effective, but all those bags and you didn't have space for proper waterproofs?
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

andymiller wrote:Ingenious, cheap and effective, but all those bags and you didn't have space for proper waterproofs?
Alas my proper Gore Bike Wear waterproof got left in some motel room.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I'm glad such innovations work for you hardy types (of which I used to be one until my thyroid gland mis-behaved) but the warmth from the RAB was what I needed - and I know what I need having been taken from a mountain-side with hypothermia some years back - (that was not fun) - and having been close to hypothermia on a long alps descent when wet and not adequately prepared a couple of years ago.

So mock me if you will, but I know what works for me :D

As for the bin bag - well............. :o
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

bikes4two wrote:As for the bin bag - well............. :o
I don't make a practice of riding in bin bags or of losing expensive rain gear but I do do a lot of touring and sometimes you have to do whatever works. I can tell you that that bin bag worked better than a defective Gore Bike Wear jacket I descended 20 miles from 5000 ft in sleet wearing. I was hypothermic myself at the end of it. What I don't mention in my write up was that I could feel ice water running down my arms the fancy jacket leaked so badly. I contacted GBW, sent it back to them and they replaced it with their most expensive jacket, the one I left in a motel room.