Has anyone cycled the Camino?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
53x13

Has anyone cycled the Camino?

Post by 53x13 »

If you have, any advice would be welcome! I'm cycling from UK to Gibraltar in July/August. Should be about 30 days, with three rest days.
b1ke

Re: Has anyone cycled the Camino?

Post by b1ke »

Which Camino are you planning on cycling? If you're heading south, you could join the Via de la Plata and follow it as far south as Seville.

I've cycled parts of three of them - the main Way of St James, the Camino del Norte and the Via de la Plata. What advice are you looking for?
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
ossie

Post by ossie »

Might find some help on here..apologies if youve seen it.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/ ... e=journals

In addition this guy (who posts as Jayclock on cyclechat) has done UK to Gib here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 99231&v=Cb
robing

Post by robing »

I cycled anti clockwise round Spain last summer, so I went Gib - Seville - Salamanca - Burgos - San Sebastian. Used the N630 for much of the route.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Cycled from Pamplona to San tia go last September & thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
This was supposedly 'off season ' & still busy so you might find July very hot and crowded.
Had little problem getting into Refuges although they supposedly give preference to walkers.
Enjoy! Great buzz from all the other pilgrims.
Bon Camino!
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

I have always wanted to ride the Camino
So, I can only get a week off work. I have a road bike with 28mm tyres
I will need to get to a starting point by air, or via public transport, and I will need to get back again
What would be the best route to fit those criteria?
I have looked at cycling from Oporto
What do you think?
Thanks!
LindaB

Post by LindaB »

Hard to believe it was so long ago, but my husband & I cycled the Camino in 2007 - from Pamplona to Santiago. A great experience! Here's a link to our trip report: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ourcamino

LindaB
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Welcome to the confraternity.

I rode the route fro St Jean Pied de Porte about 20 years ago and had a great time. Won't bore you with details as I am sure it has changed much by now.

My point in posting is that St James' (aka Santiago) Day is 25 July, the target date for many pilgrims to reach Santiago. The wave of pilgrims that move along to make this date makes everything very busy.

Enjoy.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Hi 53 x 13,

I cycled the Compostella in 2005 from Valence to Finnisterre. I believe the French leg is known as the Chemin St. Jacques and the Spanish leg is known as the Camino.

I used a book from Cicerone called "The Way of St James" - cyclists guide - by John Higginson. It is thoroughly researched and informative and well worth the money.

You could possibly get the Bike Express bus to Bayonne and cycle to St Jean Pied de Port. Start your journey from there and you won't be dis appointed. Personally, I think the beauty is in the French leg of the trip.

Whatever your aspirations might be, you will treated and greeted with kindness and warmth along the route. You will meet all different nationalities, all having a story to tell - let them tell it.

I had 6 weeks of wall to wall sunshine (ok, 2 days rain in all that time) blessed with camaraderie, hospitality and generosity. Fantastic, absolutely fantastic.

Go on, do it!! Soak it and savour it. The flavour is delicious and long lasting.

Bon route et bon chance

doodah
lorna.williams

Post by lorna.williams »

simonhill wrote:Welcome to the confraternity.

I rode the route fro St Jean Pied de Porte about 20 years ago and had a great time. Won't bore you with details as I am sure it has changed much by now.

My point in posting is that St James' (aka Santiago) Day is 25 July, the target date for many pilgrims to reach Santiago. The wave of pilgrims that move along to make this date makes everything very busy.

Enjoy.
Hi Simon, I would like to cycle Bilbao to Angeles- Gazost, via St jean Pied de Porte could you recommend a route ?
Thanks
Lorna
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

I have been looking at the Camino for 2017. I think the best option for me could be the Portugese route. I think it could be done in a week. I would like to spend a few weeks on the Road, but kids, job etc won't allow it
I haven't done too much research, but it could be possible to get flights into Porto and back from Santiago
Planning for 2017 and we haven't been on our 2016 tour yet!