Brittany ferries - crazy prices

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LeBrignall

Brittany ferries - crazy prices

Post by LeBrignall »

Is there a way to bring the cost down. Just tried to book a ferry with bike Portsmouth Caen and bike and they want £120 - one person and bike no cabin. Is it just me is that crazy?
smcknighty

Re: Brittany ferries - crazy prices

Post by smcknighty »

That is nuts..

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
horizon

Post by horizon »

So try this:

Get three friends to join you on a cycling holiday in France, that's four adults with their bikes and panniers.
Get the price for the four of you.
Now stop the process.
Put the bikes on top of and at the rear of a family sized saloon. Put you, your friends and the panniers in the car.
Hey presto! The car goes free!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or try this:

Book your bike on in February. Sorry, all bikes banned! Gas guzzlers only! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You couldn't make this stuff up.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brittany Ferries like you to have a car so they can maximise their income. If you are a foot passenger you cant book a cabin. The problem is there is no competition. Their trade drops like a stone in winter, they have to make lots of money in the summer.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

The irony was that at the time the ferry that could take more foot passenegers was out of service due to its having its funnels made more environmentally friendly. AIUI (and as you say), it's all about the relationship between cabin space and vehicle space. At sometime in the past either BF or their forerunners would have built ferries based on a high proportion of motor use; I presume that means that they won't have the capacity for car-less passengers in terms of cabins, lifeboats etc. I can accept that that was a historical huge misjudgement but the fact that it means you cannot get out of the country unless you fly makes it an unacceptable decision - there must be a better and fairer way of dealing with this.

I don't know what would make Brittany Ferries and GWR realise that they are part of a wall of companies and organisations doing their best to block cyclists and cycling. It's weird.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

When are you booking for?
I just tried a random day in July and got prices between £35 and £44
Last used that crossing Sept 2014 and it was £28
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

You can book a cabin with bikes only, we have done it twice recently.

OP, we are members of their club, I am happy to share my friends and family discount code, PM me if you want it (only 10% but better than nothing) and I will look it up tonight.

We have had some decent prices this year (30% off with the club) return tickets with a bike and a tandem, with cabins both ways for £158 for three of us.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

£120 implies to me that you are looking at a late booking, possibly this weekend, and it is a return fare.

A couple of years ago I rode up to the ferry terminal in Ouistreham with no booking. The fare for the afternoon ferry to Portsmouth was 80 Euros, twice what I had paid on a booked outward crossing. The reason was that "the afternoon ferry is popular, and you are a walk up customer".

Cabins for cyclists - yes, I often use the overnight ferries. I have one booked for use in a couple of weeks time.
the snail

Post by the snail »

tatanab wrote:£120 implies to me that you are looking at a late booking, possibly this weekend, and it is a return fare.

A couple of years ago I rode up to the ferry terminal in Ouistreham with no booking. The fare for the afternoon ferry to Portsmouth was 80 Euros, twice what I had paid on a booked outward crossing. The reason was that "the afternoon ferry is popular, and you are a walk up customer".

Cabins for cyclists - yes, I often use the overnight ferries. I have one booked for use in a couple of weeks time.

They fleece you if buy your return in France, unless you have a french address. Last time I did this we booked using a friend's address, and it was a lot cheaper,
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bensons wrote:You can book a cabin with bikes only, we have done it twice recently.

Yes, in the summer, of course. In the winter, no. And don't worry I spoke to several members of staff about it to find out why.
LeBrignall

Post by LeBrignall »

No the booking is for 17 August (a weds) and coming back the following Sunday night. It's peak period, but I can't see how foot passengers can any cost to the operation. A bike hardly takes any space….
LeBrignall

Post by LeBrignall »

Newhaven Dieppe is a much more reasonable £35 return with DFDS
horizon

Post by horizon »

LeBrignall wrote:No the booking is for 17 August (a weds) and coming back the following Sunday night. It's peak period, but I can't see how foot passengers can any cost to the operation. A bike hardly takes any space….

The problem is the space you take up in relation to other things. If lots of foot passengers and cyclists go on the ship, the ship sails with the same number of cabins and lifeboats but with empty car space - it sails at a loss. I don't know the details but I presume the ship can take a maximum number of people.

I can understand BF's problem. The reason I'm unsympathetic is that they are monopoly owners and blind to the problem they have themselves created.

Again a little bit of sympathy for BF: if you measure the crossing distance in miles and divide it by the cost, you'll find N- D no cheaper. Try Kingswear to Dartmouth if you want a really expensive crossing!
Last edited by horizon on 25 May 2016, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've looked at the possibility of long weekend or week long trips to Brittany many times using the ferry. I have always given up and either chosen to stay in the UK or fly someone.

The trains are also madness. Yesterday I saw that a one-way to Llanelli was £9.50 first class, there were a number of days and times available. I spoke with Mrs Whoof last night about this and went to book it this morning and it's £31.90 standard fare all days and times.
whoof

Post by whoof »

whoof wrote:I've looked at the possibility of long weekend or week long trips to Brittany many times using the ferry. I have always given up and either chosen to stay in the UK or fly someone.

As I have been unable to get them to take off I have then got a plane and flown somewhere.