Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo
Posts: 244
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 6:40pm

Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby raybo » 9 Jun 2016, 12:53am

In April, 2016, I rode from Naples down the southeast coastline of Italy and then over to Sicily where I took the long way around from Messina to Palermo. This tour was all about fabulous coastal views, world heritage sites, and unbelievable wildflower displays.

I took over 1700 pictures. I've selected 73 photos as an overview of my time there. I hope you like them.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

PH
Posts: 9776
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby PH » 9 Jun 2016, 8:11am

Enjoyed them thanks, will be back for a better look.

User avatar
Penfold
Posts: 223
Joined: 30 Jan 2007, 3:07pm
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)
Contact:

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby Penfold » 9 Jun 2016, 8:58am

Very nice, looks a tad hilly for me :?

Not a lot of gear on your bike were you camping or B&B etc?
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill

raybo
Posts: 244
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 6:40pm

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby raybo » 9 Jun 2016, 3:57pm

Penfold wrote:Very nice, looks a tad hilly for me :?

Not a lot of gear on your bike were you camping or B&B etc?


There are two reasons I don't carry much gear. First, I don't like sleeping on the ground and much prefer being hosted ala warmshowers, couchsurfing, etc. Second, bike riding is much more fun if I am pushing less weight around.

I have been ruthless over the past couple years in trying to find ways to reduce the weight I tour with. It was easy to give up camping gear, as I don't like to camp and don't care how much I spend on lodging when I tour. It was harder to give up cooking gear as I am a vegetarian and I can't always find places to eat enough food. But, it turns out that is more a planning problem than a cooking one.

What made a real difference, though, was the realization at just how much racks and panniers weigh. My rear rack and its 2 Ortlieb panniers weight about 6 pounds empty! Adding in my front panniers and rack, the total comes to 11 pounds! So, one way to carry less weight was simply to get ride of my heavy racks. I wrote an article about this process, if anyone is interested.

For this trip, I added the frame bag, which holds my rain gear, tools and spares, freeing up valuable pannier space for food.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

Jezrant
Posts: 734
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 8:11pm

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby Jezrant » 10 Jun 2016, 9:11am

Nice pix. What was it like getting from the airport to your first destination and where did you leave your bike box in Naples?
I like the way you've been trying to cut down the weight and distributing it across the bike, but aren't you a bit concerned about using a heavily loaded front rack that doesn't have the loop connecting the two sides? Personally, I like a larger saddlebag, say a Carradice Nelson, which has double the capacity of that wedgie bag.

raybo
Posts: 244
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 6:40pm

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby raybo » 10 Jun 2016, 5:06pm

Jezrant wrote:Nice pix. What was it like getting from the airport to your first destination and where did you leave your bike box in Naples?
I like the way you've been trying to cut down the weight and distributing it across the bike, but aren't you a bit concerned about using a heavily loaded front rack that doesn't have the loop connecting the two sides? Personally, I like a larger saddlebag, say a Carradice Nelson, which has double the capacity of that wedgie bag.


I arrived in Naples close to midnight. A guy asked if I needed a taxi and I accepted his ride as I did see anyone else available. While the ride shouldn't have cost more than 20 Euros (I had a shared ride), all I had was a 50 Euro note and all I got back was 10 Euros. I felt ripped off, but if I'd had change, I'd have given him a 20, listen to his cursing, and gone on my way.

I left my bike box with a warmshower's host in Naples. There were other warmshower's hosts who couldn't host me on the days I was there but were willing to hold the bike box for me.

The front panniers don't carry all that much weight. The racks are rated for far more weight than I have in them. They are certainly less than 10 pounds each. I'd say they are closer to 5 pounds. I haven't noticed any wobble or loosening of the screws holding them. But, the reason I use them has to do with packing them in my bike box more than their weight carrying capacity.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

User avatar
sabrutat
Posts: 185
Joined: 15 Jan 2014, 11:23pm
Contact:

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby sabrutat » 10 Jun 2016, 9:40pm

What a fantastic tour! I'm looking forward to getting myself down to Italy. Even more so, now.

Jezrant
Posts: 734
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 8:11pm

Re: Selected photos from my tour through Southern Italy

Postby Jezrant » 11 Jun 2016, 1:27pm

raybo wrote:
Jezrant wrote:Nice pix. What was it like getting from the airport to your first destination and where did you leave your bike box in Naples?
I like the way you've been trying to cut down the weight and distributing it across the bike, but aren't you a bit concerned about using a heavily loaded front rack that doesn't have the loop connecting the two sides? Personally, I like a larger saddlebag, say a Carradice Nelson, which has double the capacity of that wedgie bag.


I arrived in Naples close to midnight. A guy asked if I needed a taxi and I accepted his ride as I did see anyone else available. While the ride shouldn't have cost more than 20 Euros (I had a shared ride), all I had was a 50 Euro note and all I got back was 10 Euros. I felt ripped off, but if I'd had change, I'd have given him a 20, listen to his cursing, and gone on my way.

I left my bike box with a warmshower's host in Naples. There were other warmshower's hosts who couldn't host me on the days I was there but were willing to hold the bike box for me.

The front panniers don't carry all that much weight. The racks are rated for far more weight than I have in them. They are certainly less than 10 pounds each. I'd say they are closer to 5 pounds. I haven't noticed any wobble or loosening of the screws holding them. But, the reason I use them has to do with packing them in my bike box more than their weight carrying capacity.


Ah ok, thanks, that's interesting about warmshowers in Naples and the bike box.