Spare Tyre?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pulseezar

Spare Tyre?

Post by pulseezar »

I was just looking to buy a spare tyre for my tourer which currently has Continental Touring Plus tyres, but it seems they don't make folding versions. I was wondering if people generally carry spare tyres for on-road cycling in Europe or is this overkill? If yes, then what do you carry?

Thanks!
Pickers

Re: Spare Tyre?

Post by Pickers »

Tyre failures are pretty rare, I've never felt the need to carry a spare although I do know people that have the issue (tandem rear, LeJog day 2....).
If you want to carry a spare, I'd just choose a very light foldable that would get you to the nearest town for a proper replacement.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Make sure your tyres are good before you start. Replace and save old ones for later if you want. Make sure you run new ones in for a while before you go to make sure no faults.

I tour for 2 plus months and never take a spare. I do regularly replace my tyres and don't risk running on anything too worn.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Get one of those tyre patches that go inside the tyre.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

If having a spare tyre makes you feel more secure then by all means take a folder. The weight and space cost is not great. It doesn't need to match your existing tyre in any way other than size, and there's an amazing choice - SJS Cycles are currently showing well over a hundred in the two popular wheel sizes.
Test fit and ride before you go is a good idea. I found I needed to develop a new fitting technique for folding tyres - I had to use a toe strap to create a start point. No big deal as long as you know about it beforehand :)
I always take one, and have never needed it.
Never been stranded either.
Your call 8)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
pwa

Post by pwa »

if you do take a folder it doesn't need to go in your luggage. You can tie / tape it to the back of the seat tube or some free area on the inner side of the rear rack.
meic

Post by meic »

For the past five years I have carried a 23mm Gatorskin folder or a 28mm Rubino Pro both of which weigh just under 250g. I dont carry a spare on my 26" wheel bike, just because I havent bought a suitable folding tyre and I already have too many tyres for the bike.
A spare tyre isnt a necessity unless you are against the clock and even then the chances are slight enough that it is worth the risk of not having one, you can phone a friend, hitch a lift, borrow off the cyclist who does have one or just give up on the event.
At 250g it doesnt need an awful lot of justification to carry, its main purpose is to ensure that you can carry on riding at least as far as a shop and until such a shop will be open. Tyres always blow out at 6.15pm on a Saturday up the Cambrian mountains, it is the law. :mrgreen:
That 250g can easily be more than offset by riding with much lighter tyres on your wheels but are not armoured against sidewall attacks. So instead of two Schwalbe Marathons at 800g each you ride with two Kojaks, Hypers or similar at 400g each and carry a spare in case of the more likely sidewall damage, so not only are you carrying 200-600g less weight you have drastically reduced rotating weight. This only works out if you do make a change from sturdy tyres to lighter ones.
I have only used mine once, 1 am in Calais, I rolled off the Ferry with a twisted rear wheel, after fettling it still wouldnt run with the 37mm tyre but would with the 28mm tyre, the spare was good enough that I rode all the way to Bordeaux with it and there I had time and facilities to repair the wheel in comfort. My schedule was too tight to take time out dealing with bike shops.
I am happy carrying my spare tyre but for the five years before I was happy not carrying a spare tyre. Blow outs have been patched with a boot and a Schwalbe Marathon that started a bulge in Bath developed to the size of my fist by the time I got home but I had mudguard clearance for it and had time and opportunities to visit shops along the way.
So lay out all your kit and think is that spare tyre better use of 250g than anything else that I am taking? and pick which to take.
Yma o Hyd
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:So lay out all your kit and think is that spare tyre better use of 250g than anything else that I am taking? and pick which to take.

That says it. Folk ride across the US carrying nothing but boots cut from old tyres. One such will usually get you to the next Decathlon.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Audax67 wrote:
meic wrote:So lay out all your kit and think is that spare tyre better use of 250g than anything else that I am taking? and pick which to take.

That says it. Folk ride across the US carrying nothing but boots cut from old tyres. One such will usually get you to the next Decathlon.

If you have the Tardis maybe. Decathlon pulled out of the US market in 2006. :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

pulseezar wrote:I was wondering if people generally carry spare tyres for on-road cycling in Europe or is this overkill?

Only in Iceland.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

pete75 wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

If you have the Tardis maybe. Decathlon pulled out of the US market in 2006. :lol:

The man asked about touring in Europe, thobut.

Of course, he might need a bunch of visas...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pulseezar

Post by pulseezar »

Cheers for the input! Decided just to get a tyre boot thing as aiming to travel pretty light.

Here's to no tyre malfunctions :)
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I needed mine on my last trip (in that awful wet weather). Fully loaded camping and a slow flat meant that the rear tyre deformed giving a wobble as if the wheel was buckled (it wasn't).
Rode from Caen to the Med and did NOT find a suitable replacement anywhere as I was riding in very rural France and the supermarkets or hardware stores sold only real knobblies and/or far too wide to fit my frame.
The extra weight (minimal) saved my tour.