Extended Touring in the USA.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Hedgemonkey

Extended Touring in the USA.

Post by Hedgemonkey »

Hi folks. I'm planning on fulfilling a life long dream and riding across the US, then heading on down the West coast from Oregon to San Diego. As this is going to take a fair while, how do I go about getting extensions to allow me to spend up to six months over there.

Cheers Andy.
hamster

Re: Extended Touring in the USA.

Post by hamster »

The best thing to do is check with the US Embassy. A trip to Canada or Mexico is a simple way to interrupt the count on your stay. I don't know what the rules are about how long you have to be away though - I imagine there is a qualification period.

Also you need to think hard about seasons if you are going for 6 months. I rode the Pacific Coast in 1994, it was a brilliant trip.
Winders

Post by Winders »

From memory, I think that you'll need a serious amount of time - more than just an odd week - outside the USA before you get let back in again with another ninety day visa. The main exception to this rule is if you're resident in Canada or Mexico. It's designed this way to stop people extracting the urine.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Hedgemonkey

Post by Hedgemonkey »

I'm still waiting on a reply from the Embassy, just thought I'd check here too.
irc

Post by irc »

You need to get a visa which involves going for interview at the American Embassy. Crossing the Canadian border does not reset the clock. The visa waiver program only covers you for 90 days. So if you were in the USA for 60 days, went to Canada for 10 days, when you crossed back into the USA you would only have 20 days left. Time in Canada counts towards your 90 day unless it is before first entry to the USA.

the total trip, including both periods of time spent in the United States/Canada/Mexico Bermuda, or the islands in the Caribbean cannot exceed 90 days. If it does, you will require a visa.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immi ... r-program/
Hedgemonkey

Post by Hedgemonkey »

I was kind of getting the idea, that a trip to Grosvenor Sq for an interview was on the cards. Cheers folks.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Hedgemonkey wrote:I was kind of getting the idea, that a trip to Grosvenor Sq for an interview was on the cards. Cheers folks.

They are still there, but are due to move out in a year or two. There is a new building under construction for them in Nine Elms.
foreversummer

Post by foreversummer »

We got a 6 month visa for our Transam tour. I wrote about it in my blog
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 08378&v=ri