Front Lights (not on the handlebars)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
psmiffy

Re: Front Lights (not on the handlebars)

Postby psmiffy » 29 Jul 2016, 11:23pm

Audax67 wrote:This Christmas-tree was my initial go at a set-up for PBP last year, you can just about see the Topeak effort under all the junk. I did simplify it later.

I'm setting up a bike at the moment for touring - Ixon IQ is to be my main light with a 530 as a backup - I assume looking at your photo that you have more than one set of wires coming from the hub - light and supplementary power? how do you bring that up the fork without it looking like a loada spaghetti?

R0014959.JPG

I'm new to hub dynamos - one of the questions in the back of my mind is that if it starts to deluge then the area around the hub will be get a little damp - does that affect anything? or are there "special precautions " you can take?

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 30 Jul 2016, 2:04am

horizon wrote:I keep reading this thread and still can't find out why the OP didn't want the normal solution for barbag/lights:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -mm-0-deg/

Was it looks or not having a threadless stem or what? What have I missed?
Unless the top of the bar bag is below the top of the steerer tube I can't see how this can work. Even if is below the top of thr tube it looks like it will interfere with opening the bag
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 30 Jul 2016, 10:49am

Indeed.^ Though if you have current standard ("oversize" 31.8mm) handlebars it could presumably clamp to them, for which it does look neater and stronger than the Minoura and Topeak items.

horizon

Postby horizon » 30 Jul 2016, 12:02pm

The bar simply stacks on the stem and takes the place of a spacer. The bar bag is thus above the lighting bar - neither interferes with the other. The lights of course are below the bar bag although are in effect hung upside down. I still don't see the problem*.

* Unless the OP has an older threaded stem as these lighting bars only fit the new threadless stems.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 30 Jul 2016, 2:43pm

Sorry I said steerer tube I should have said stem. My Ortlieb bag clamps to the bars: its top is above the stem its bottom about 2" from the mudguard. Still can't see how I could use it.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 30 Jul 2016, 6:27pm

I can only really see it working in the way Horizon describes with either an extremely small bar bag or a very high steerer. I guess it's no coincidence then that this is sold by SJS, home of Thorn!

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 30 Jul 2016, 6:35pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:I can only really see it working in the way Horizon describes with either an extremely small bar bag or a very high steerer. I guess it's no coincidence then that this is sold by SJS, home of Thorn!
Thanks I was thinking I was missing something.

horizon

Postby horizon » 30 Jul 2016, 9:38pm

Pete Jack wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I can only really see it working in the way Horizon describes with either an extremely small bar bag or a very high steerer. I guess it's no coincidence then that this is sold by SJS, home of Thorn!
Thanks I was thinking I was missing something.

We haven't heard from the OP. He may have a very short stack above the headtube; he may have a very deep bar bag. My barbags are standard old Karrimors but I do have high stacks. However the system works a treat (certainly does for me) so I would still like to know what the exact problem is with the OP.

thayer19

Postby thayer19 » 30 Jul 2016, 10:51pm

Hi all

In regards to the thorn T bar, I assume the handlebar bag goes on to the t bar and the lights on the handlebars? My main gripe with that is having a messy 'cockpit' really, I think I'm going to go down the fork mounted light route. This initial thread was really sparked as a result of a lack of choice for that option when you don't have a dynamo fitted.

My current thinking is b+m iq 40 or the cateye hl135. The cateye mount looks a bit cleaner and the b+m would also necessitate bring another charger etc etc for the batteries. Does look a good light though.

horizon

Postby horizon » 30 Jul 2016, 11:24pm

thayer19 wrote:Hi all

In regards to the thorn T bar, I assume the handlebar bag goes on to the t bar and the lights on the handlebars?

No, it's the reverse. At least it is for me. It's a neat, elegant, practical solution.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 31 Jul 2016, 2:03pm

That ^ might work but two problems spring to mind: it'll be difficult to access the bar bag while riding and you might have a bar-bag shadow at night. The first might not be a problem for you, depending what you use the bar bag for, the second was my experience when using a bar bag on the handlebars and a light on a Minoura Space Grip above the bars – obviously it's going to depend on precise light/bag configuration. But certainly I'd go with light below bag (or as you say, on fork crown).

steford

Postby steford » 1 Aug 2016, 9:49am

I quite like the cheap chinese torches for camping that come with a bike mount also. I like to be at my campsite by dusk but in an emergency it's perfect and means I don't need to carry extra items. I wouldn't use them for serious night rides.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7days ... 7DS-ML-214