The Western Front British Sector

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iainb

The Western Front British Sector

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

The recent centenary of the start of the battle of the Somme reignited an idea I had a while ago about riding the British sector of the Western Front front.I've been to Ypres area several times, from there down to Fromelles and Festubert where 2 family members were killed and the Somme battlefield but not the area in between. When I've driven through the area around Arras and Loos near Lens it seems pretty busy, has anyone followed the front line area through here and if so can you offer any advice.

Thanks and regards

Iain
Peter Molog

Re: The Western Front British Sector

Post by Peter Molog »

There is a cycle-guide in Dutch, Cycling along the frontline of the First Worldwar.
From Nieuwpoort in Belgium to Basel.

Here you find some photo's.
GPS-file is here.

Have fun.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

Morning all,
Not sure whether this is of interest....
I went over in June.
Day 1, started in Vimy Ridge, looked at monument, visited trenches. Arras, nice town, went to market. On towards Bapaume, there is a cycle path. Turned off road and headed for Gommecourt (family history reasons). To save time we cycled on the National footpaths where we could. I had 25mm tyres and it was fine. On to Thiepval, Pit stop at "Tommy's Bar" in Pozieres. On to the Welsh memorial at Mametz Wood, then we finished the ride at the piper memorial at Longueval.
Pleasent ride, not too busy nor onerous. We did have backup, so we got a lift back to the hotel in Cambrai
Day 2, did a sportive, moved to Ypres. Did the Menin Gate service
Day 3, Ypres to Paschendale, great museum. Up to Tyne Cot, and on to a German cemetary. Can't remember the name, but there is a mass grave of 25000 young lads. Then we rode over the Monts de Flanders and on to Dunkirk. Pit stop in Cassel, then followed the D916. A horrible road full of heavy lorries. There is a cycle lane though
Nice tour, glad I did it
Hope that helps
iainb

Post by iainb »

Thanks to you both for the useful info. Heathbrook, the German cemetery was probably LangemarK which is the biggest one in the area. I've visited that and Tyne Cot, a sobering experience.