Bike forwarding via sea freight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
in4time

Bike forwarding via sea freight

Post by in4time »

As I'll be 'fully loaded' with personal goods for a UK - AU flight I was considering sending my bike on in advance via sea freight. Anyone done this before with a carrier they'd recommend?
Thanks
PT1029

Re: Bike forwarding via sea freight

Post by PT1029 »

I've occasionally pondered this should I visit family in NZ again.
Probably simpler just to use a normal international delivery company (TNT, UPS etc) and let them sort the shipping details. If you are in a university town, there may be companies advertising sending student belongings etc overseas.
Sometimes "surface" mail/shipping is air freighted. The last time my sister tried surface mail for Christmas cards (I doubt they do that anymore), they arrived 4 days later in early October.
Oz/NZ very strict on agriculture contamination. Wash the bike very thoroughly (NOT jet wash - bearing water ingress etc), including washing tyres/inside mudguards.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

AU?, do you mean Australia?

I'd suggest checking out the prices. I think you will find it very expensive. Most companies charge by linear measurements and there's a lot of cms in a bike.

If you know someone emigrating, etc you can try to get a slot in their container.

Otherwise strip as small as poss and expect to pay a lot. Taking with you as luggage is usually the cheapest.
Veras

Post by Veras »

Hello!
I live in Jersey (channel Islands) and will be travelling around South America from October for about 6/7 months.
About a month ago decided to buy a bike and send it across, but the prices of the airline were crazy, so checked with my local post office and they would send it for around £60.
The only restrain is in relation to the time that it takes to get there (average 45 days) but we thought about it hopefully in time :)
Hope that helps!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I did this a couple of times for trips into Europe. It's convenient of course, no boxes at the airport with the accompanying costs. Otoh these days it's quite easy to fly with a bike, I might be tempted to post out my luggage though, it avoids worrying about getting stuff through security!

One possible advantage for sending the bike freight is that the box will be treated better than most airport baggage systems will do. Some airlines prefer bikes 'loose' like Lufthansa who, I am assured, rarely damage a bike unlike boxed/bagged bikes that regularly get damaged.

I often send parcels home before I return to make the pack up easier (on my 2/3 week trips this is often the dirty laundry, used up maps, souvenirs) and avoid any excess charges!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I remember suggesting using the Post Office some time ago, ex UK. I knew people who had done it from NZ and China.

Replies (including one from CJ) said it would be very expensive and when I looked into it, it did seem to cost a lot. Also I think there is a size limit which meant major disassembly.

Anyone care to check it out?
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

About 5 years ago I looked into shipping our tandem to NZ and back and actually spent some time on the phone to a shipping agent discussing this. I can't recall much of the details, only that it was an expensive thing to do and a figure of something approaching one thousand GBP for the return journey comes to mind.

I look forward to seeing if someone comes up with something more acceptable.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey