android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikes4two

Re: android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes

Postby bikes4two » 17 Sep 2016, 4:43pm

Hi Sweep,
> FYI a friend of mine has a Windows tablet which runs a version of Basecamp which does the things you want I suspect?
> However, for Android you'll need something else and I'm going to suggest you maybe take a look at Locus Map pro
> I've been using this app for about 6 months now and am still discovering more functionality and prompted by your post I looked at the Locus Map online manual to see what the app might do for you and I think it could well meet your requirements - see the specific manual chapter here.
> I have had a little play with creating routes directly on the screen and would be happy to help you through anything you might want to know (maybe ask questions via PM/email first to prevent this thread rattling on until answers are found?)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Sep 2016, 6:21pm

Thanks for this bikes4two. Will check out at beginning of next week when have a mo.
Sweep

pete75

Postby pete75 » 17 Sep 2016, 7:12pm

There's a whole list of Android apps here http://www.cyclingabout.com/the-best-ap ... martphone/ they may well be worth investigating. Another to look at is Alpine Quest.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 17 Sep 2016, 8:19pm

andymiller wrote:Sorry I know it's iOS not Android, but I've just downloaded the latest update to MapOut? and there is a really very impressive facility for drawing tracks (they call them 'tours')....

I think it is a very impressive app. One feature I particularly like (in previous version as well) is holding two fingers on the map for a few seconds and it pops-up an altitude profile plot for the ground between your two fingers; move the fingers around and the plot moves and updates the plot.

But most important of all is that it's rendering is the clearest I've seen for any mapping app. Add in the cycle routes layer, contours, trace recording, route display, etc. and a truly excellent app.

Ian

ConRAD

Postby ConRAD » 18 Sep 2016, 1:53pm

Psamathe wrote:... one feature I particularly like (in previous version as well) is holding two fingers on the map for a few seconds and it pops-up an altitude profile plot for the ground between your two fingers ...

I definitely agree on the impressive 3D Effect display, but the 2-Finger Move option showing the elevation profile in the between your fingers crossing straightforward contours and not following a real underneath route what's for ?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 18 Sep 2016, 2:01pm

ConRAD wrote:
Psamathe wrote:... one feature I particularly like (in previous version as well) is holding two fingers on the map for a few seconds and it pops-up an altitude profile plot for the ground between your two fingers ...

I definitely agree on the impressive 3D Effect display, but the 2-Finger Move option showing the elevation profile in the between your fingers crossing straightforward contours and not following a real underneath route what's for ?

So if e.g. you want to cycle between two places it will give you an idea as to what the hills are like (ok, you'll be on roads not direct line but gives a good impression as to what you will face).

I actually don't find the 3D effect particularly useful - pretty yes; but as with all software, different people find different features useful (which is where Apple fail so badly because they expect you to use it in the same way as the developer which is the only way ...).

Ian

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 18 Sep 2016, 9:31pm

[Sorry chaps, not android.

New thread?
Sweep