android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes

Post by Sweep »

Sorry, am aware that this has maybe been answered deep within another thread, but as a niche question i thought it worth asking separately.

I am happy to initially create a rough route/suggestion online - could do it quickly in a pub/cafe stop.

But i then tweak the gpx points offline on a map and then do some further tweaking with an offline text editor.

System works fine for me. And allows me to minimise the waypoints - i use point to point navigation on the etrex for worked out routes rather than getting my etrex to trouble itself with navigating.

I currently when at home use basecamp - works fine but i won't be using windows on the road and am seriously considering bsnishing it from my life full stop in any case.

So i need something like basecamp i can run on a chromebook or an android tablet.

Is there anything?

I stress that i will only be using it for tweaking, it doesn't need to generate routes itself. Will usually be using it just to tweak points at junctions.

Initial routes will be created/gpx files generated using cyclestreets or cycletravel.
Sweep
bohrsatom

Re: android or chrome os offline map for editing gpx routes

Post by bohrsatom »

I'll be following this thread with interest. Last time I checked I couldn't find a suitable alternative to BaseCamp, but I'd love to be able to leave my Windows netbook at home and save a kilo of weight in my panniers
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you use cycle.travel you can generate and save a route, it runs in a Chrome browser on an Android tablet or Chromebook giving you a cycle friendly route. In cycle.travel you can move node points to reroute as you like to route through intermediate places etc. It can generate a .gpx,.tcx or a file for Google Maps too. Then copy this file to a micro simm on your tablet or Chromebook in the right directory see. https://mycomputertroubles.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/3/
Put the Simm in your Garmin and navigate using it.

.. It matters whether its saved as a route or track (I think, don't know much about Garmins).

Alternatively, get an Android phone with Osmand+ on it and cut the hassle. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I suspect that if you go with Android/Chrome then you are going to need to use online services. If you want offline then it's Basecamp (or similar) on Windows or a Mac.

A quick Google and I discovered this:

https://trackprofiler2.appspot.com

which looks pretty useful - apart from the ability to tweak trackpoints you can also use it to simply and/or smooth trackfiles, get rid of unwanted time information etc. It could well be handy having these features in one place so avoiding having to download and upload tracks between different websites. It has a quota for free users and it looks like you'd have to spring for the PRO version if you plan on using it more than occasionally.

It looks like there are other similar sites.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:If you use cycle.travel you can generate and save a route, it runs in a Chrome browser on an Android tablet or Chromebook giving you a cycle friendly route. In cycle.travel you can move node points to reroute as you like to route through intermediate places etc. It can generate a .gpx,.tcx or a file for Google Maps too. Then copy this file to a micro simm on your tablet or Chromebook in the right directory see. https://mycomputertroubles.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/3/
Put the Simm in your Garmin and navigate using it.
:D

Al

Steady tiger :)

The tweaking you mention on cycle travel needs an online connection. I want to do this offline. Happy as i said in the original post to generate the initial route online. But want to pedal during the day and tweak in the tent.

Your osm idea - is that on or offline?

No need to remove and reinsert cards into the garmin - i can connect my garmin to my android tab for instance to transfer stuff. Removing and reinserting cards into an etrex 20 is a fag.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Osmand is offline. If you have an android phone handy and a signal you can tether a tablet or a Chromebook to it and do it online. Or alternatively do the tweaking online on the phone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have the free version of osmand on my android tab.

But can you do the tweaking (moving, deleting, inserting of points) OFFline?

As of course you can with basecamp.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont think so.

Al
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't know Android but used to use BackCountry Navigator app and I seem to remember you could create routes and edit things on an Android device (though I cannot be 100% as I never actually did this).

http://backcountrynavigator.com
http://support.crittermap.com/entries/22126492-Navigation-Waypoints-and-Tracks

If you don't need a solution really urgently they have a good helpdesk so you might enquire.

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have sent an email to the backcountry folks psa. Thanks for the suggestion. Will report back if i get an interesting reply.

Must admit that in this triumph-of-the-geeks world i am rather surprised that there's not a simple piece of micturate answer to my simple need.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote:Have sent an email to the backcountry folks psa. Thanks for the suggestion. Will report back if i get an interesting reply.

Must admit that in this triumph-of-the-geeks world i am rather surprised that there's not a simple piece of micturate answer to my simple need.

I know of one app for the iPhone/iPad that will include such functionality in the next release - but that is of no help to you.

Ian
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Psamathe wrote:I know of one app for the iPhone/iPad that will include such functionality in the next release - but that is of no help to you.

Ian

Are you allowed to say which one? Is it MapOut?
Last edited by andymiller on 24 Aug 2016, 7:30am, edited 1 time in total.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Sweep wrote:... so i need something like basecamp i can run on a chromebook or an android tablet ...

.. sounds good, i was thinking you were using paper maps only :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Now now conrad :)

Have long used gps for day navigation.

Maps for overall planning/backup.
Sweep
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Sorry I know it's iOS not Android, but I've just downloaded the latest update to MapOut? and there is a really very impressive facility for drawing tracks (they call them 'tours'). I was expecting to be a little bit sceptical but even on my iPad Touch (and with my stubby fingers) it was very easy to draw a route. The most surprising/impressive feature was the fact that it shows an altitude profile that updates as you draw.

You can easily share the tracks by email/Dropbox/Airdrop etc but unless you have a gps with wifi then transferring to the gps is do-able, but a faff, but if you are somewhere mountainous and you are thinking 'should I go this way or that way?' then this could be really useful. Obviously if you use an iPhone/iPad for navigating then the transfer issue won't be a problem.

A couple of screenshots:

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg