Tyres for Camino

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HarryD

Tyres for Camino

Postby HarryD » 22 Aug 2016, 10:39am

Doing the Via de la Plata from Seville in September. As usual will be riding my mountain bike which I happily tour on fitted with 28mm Gatorskins.

Will be happy to do on Gatorskins but would be greatful for any alternative recommendations or comments? The route is mostly off-road on well drained farm roads, tracks and paths. Load will fit into two panniers and wont exceed 14kg & I'm quite lean as well.

Cheers

Harry

willem jongman

Re: Tyres for Camino

Postby willem jongman » 27 Aug 2016, 8:13pm

50 mm Schwalbe Big Apple or Almotion. The latter is more expensive, but also apparently a bit more comfortable and a bit faster.

tyreon

Postby tyreon » 28 Aug 2016, 10:01am

You could consider the 'softer' option: the nearby road(s). Big motorway(s) take the traffic away from what was the main road,leaving the main road(now a side road),all but empty. Even Spains Motorways seem quiet to our chocca M-Ways. The off-route way crosses and recrosses and travels along the 'old' former highway. Surface as nice as a billiard table. Bin watching some of the Veulta. Some ariel shots show how EU money has been ploughed into new Motorways leaving old highways virtually empty.

Enjoy yourself.

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 28 Aug 2016, 1:01pm

I've not done the Via Plata but caminos can vary from smooth unsurfaced roads to tracks, and personally I'd go wider than 28mm - if only so you don't have to worry about pinch flats on the rougher bits. I've been very pleased with my Marathon Mondials. They are pricey but are very hardwearing.

borisface

Postby borisface » 28 Aug 2016, 3:13pm

I did the Via de la Plata almost 10 years ago on my mtb also in September. I just rode on some standard michelin mtb tyres I can't recall if I had a puncture or not.

Probably 90% of the route was on tracks rather than roads. The majority of the tracks were in good order. However, when I did it the route was dry and dusty particularly in the south. Be aware that in the north it does rain and can rain a lot and could become pretty muddy. There were sections that were pretty bumpy. My advice would be to ditch the gatorskins and get some mtb tyres. You don't need anything fancy something with a bit of tread. Not only will you get a bit better grip and puncture resistance but lots more comfort from the constant juddering that you'll encounter. Riding the gators is fine for a day or two but long day after long day for 2-3 weeks will take its toll on hands, wrists and neck.

Pack a can of lubricant as the dust will dry out your chain and cassette - I ended up ditching these when I got home as they were shot. I also got a huge shock when I got to Salamanca. The temperature dropped from 35+ to -2 and I had to go and buy additional clothes and gloves in decathlon. The cicerone guide is worth getting. If staying at refugios pack some ear plugs as the snoring is terrible.

Enjoy

oldun

Postby oldun » 28 Aug 2016, 5:15pm

Ohh Harry D ...i was planning to cycle the Camino Frances in October but this route looks more interesting as i have already cycled the Camino Frances , albeit a few years ago .
I did not know of this route from Seville so it looks like i will have to start amassing info about it .
Any useful info you could share will be gratefully received .

Please forgive me going off topic .

HarryD

Postby HarryD » 31 Aug 2016, 8:43am

Thanks for the advice folks.

Have ordered the Marathon Mondials 2". They look to have the best mix of attributes for the track surfaces.

Will be following the signed / off-road route using the guide 'La Via De La Plata (caminos mozarabe y sanabres en bicicleta) by Mardones and Datcharry 2016 edition. Available from Amazon. However, may head off-piste if something takes our interest.

Cheers, Harry

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 31 Aug 2016, 9:07am

Enjoy, but don't complain that wide tyres are slow, because these Mondials are not slow because of their width, but because they are sturdy expedition tyres.

HarryD

Postby HarryD » 20 Oct 2016, 11:38am

All done and dusted

Used the Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 2" tyres with Schawlbe inner tubes. They worked really well, good traction even on the technical descents and climbs. Good on the road. Comfortable. No punctures or other issues. Didn't even need to pump them up over the 3 weeks (Schwalbe tubes do seem to hold pressure better than others)

As said, on the heavy side so maybe 1.5" would be ideal but they are not made for 26" wheels

Cheers for the advice

HarryD

garibeet

Postby garibeet » 31 Oct 2016, 7:40pm

How was it? I am planning to do it later next year, October maybe. Fancied it for maybe January but couldn't find enough info about the Hoatel opening during winter. Looks a great route. Nothing wrong with the Mondials, I have a set and they are very robust for touring.

HarryD

Postby HarryD » 1 Nov 2016, 9:34am

It was all rather excellent. good cycling and many great cities and towns. Lots of off road tracks, small quiet roads and some very good single track. All cyclable (with the odd push or port) on my mountain bike fitted with the Mondials. Mountain bike tyres would do but give that buzz on tarmac.

Accommodation was generally plentiful but occasionally sparse. Some of the pilgrim hostels do close over winter but certainly not enough to ruin a trip. There are also a lot of hotels that stay open all year as they get a mixed trade. We generally paid 30 to 50 Euros for a double with en-suite, wi-fi, air con and a TV. Meals also very good value at 7 to 12 Euros for the 3 course menu del dia with bread and wine included. We used Booking.com to check for hotel availability, location and price (but didn't book) for the coming days ahead. Google maps also shows accommodation if you zoom in enough.

We used the La Via De La Plata guide (Seville to Santiago via Puebla de Sanabra) by Mardones and Dutcharry as far as Granja de Moreruela then followed the arrows to Astorga. This guide gives all accommodation on route and some close too when it is sparse. Even so we came across plenty more. The maps are very good. Highly recommended.

From Astorga we used the El Camino guide (Roncesvalles to Santiago) by Mardones and Dutcharry although the route was so well signed it wasn't really needed apart from planning purposes. This guide gives all pilgrim accommodation on route which is a lot. Again the maps are very good. Highly recommended.

Both the guides recommend alternative sections for cyclists when the Camino gets rough or tricky. We generally ignored these especially in Galicia where the off road sections are brilliant if sometimes challenging. The text is in Spanish but it doesn't take much to get the gist of what they are saying

MartinBrice

Postby MartinBrice » 1 Nov 2016, 3:52pm

are you selling your guidebook? it's tricky to find one in the uk....

HarryD

Postby HarryD » 1 Nov 2016, 6:01pm

Both are currently available on Amazon.co.uk

Simply search for Bernard Datcharry (one of the authors) and they should top the list. Via de la Plata and El Camino Frances. Not cheap but still very good value for what you get

MartinBrice

Postby MartinBrice » 1 Nov 2016, 6:11pm

Thanks, did that, it'll be with me in a few days. Thinking if next October as it'll be cooler then.

garibeet

Postby garibeet » 1 Nov 2016, 9:27pm

Thanks for the info, did a search on amazon, £164!!!?
I ordered the £15 version, not sure what the £164 copy was all about :roll:
If it looks like enough of the Refugios may be open I am tempted to try a trip in Jan. I still have 3 weeks leave to use up before end of Jan!
Not worried about the cold that much, given that I live in the Cairngorms it would probably feel like spring compared to here :lol: