Bike Insurance

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thayer19

Bike Insurance

Postby thayer19 » 31 Aug 2016, 5:01pm

Hi guys

Wondering if many people bother with bike insurance for long term touring for periods around 3-6 months and longer. On your normal insurance you can add in European travel etc but it's often limited to 60 day period.

I'm inclined to not insure my bike as it's not really feasible when long term touring especially with their requirements as well. Would just need to keep an extra eye on it!

Interested to hear what people do thought

andymiller

Re: Bike Insurance

Postby andymiller » 31 Aug 2016, 7:09pm

I generally go away for 3-4 months in Europe. I 'self-insure' but I do worry about it a bit. It's not just losing my bike (and with it my tour) but things like getting myself (plus bags and hopefully bike) home if was involved in an accident and had to get around on crutches (before anyone is tempted to weigh in, yes I know there are even gloomier possible scenarios ).

Your post prompted me to check out the British Mountaineering Council insurance (they will insure for longer than 90 days).The 'trek' insurance (their basic travel insurance excludes cycle touring) for 123 days (hypothetical test number) in Europe costs £248. The extended baggage cover costs another £49. One of their annual multi-day policies offers cover for up to 90 days with a cost of £151.

I haven't looked at the small print of the BMC policy (and in particular what they say about bike locks), but at about £2.50 a day it doesn't seem prohibitively expensive. Travelling outside Europe is obviously going to be more expensive, but given that you may not be able to fall back on your EHIC card, insurance is probably an essential and not an optional extra.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 1 Sep 2016, 10:23am

For the last 20 years or so, I regularly go away long haul for plus 2 months. I don't have insurance for my bike. It would be too costly and usually so restrictive as to make it almost meaningless..........but see below.

Generally long haul tourists don't insure their bikes or gear.

I have insureandgo annual policy which gives me any number of multi trips of up to 3 months each. The policy explicitly includes cycle touring. This gives me medical, limited baggage and cancellation, etc.

I am a member of cycleUK so get my third party from them.

I've recently included my bike on my household policy because it suddenly became very cheap. This gives me 2 months abroad, but I usually exceed this. Nonetheless, I s'pose I do now have overseas bike insurance if I limit my trips.

thayer19

Postby thayer19 » 1 Sep 2016, 11:47am

Yeah I imagine the bike insurance is too restrictive and costly. Haven’t fully looked into it, thought I’d ask here.

Been looking at travel/health insurance as well and it seems reasonable for Europe. Not sure what people do outside of Europe as I imagine it gets a lot more complicated and costly then. Do you think people still bother with it? Suppose you could say it’s even more needed as you’ll be without EHIC but at the same time a lot more infeasible to insure.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 1 Sep 2016, 12:44pm

Have got mine on John Lewis home insurance policy, wording says

"Loss of or damage to pedal cycles while in the possession of any of
your family when:
a) anywhere in Europe, Jordan, Madeira, the Canary and Mediterranean
islands and those countries bordering the Mediterranean,
b) anywhere in the world for up to 60 days during any insurance
period as shown on your Schedule."
This means cover is for an indefinite period in the places specifically mentioned and for 60 days elsewhere.

The policy provides, as standard, £5000 of cover for "unspecified" cycles with a single item limit of £1000. I added a specific bike at £2500 as an extra. The latter added £1.50 to the premium. Excess is £100.

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 1 Sep 2016, 1:19pm

Yes adding it to your home contents insurance is an option, depending on how long you are going away for: of you are going on a lengthy tour you may not have a home (because you've let it out, or you were a tenant before), also the home contents insurance may have a maximum period that you're allowed to leave your home unoccupied for.

thayer - it wouldn't be hard to check how much health insurance outside Europe would cost - and the EHIC doesn't cover medical repatriation or just getting yourself home if you can't get home unaided.