South Shields Ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
4wils

South Shields Ferry

Post by 4wils »

Does anyone have experience of using the South Shields ferry with recumbent trikes?
When I phoned they seemed to take recumbents, with some provisos, but I am not sure they understood what a recumbent trike is. As we are taking the Newcastle - Ijmuiden ferry crossing I would not like to get there and then find out that they don't take trikes.
Toffee

Re: South Shields Ferry

Post by Toffee »

Went across the Tyne on the Shields ferry a couple of weeks ago.

There should be enough room for a trike unless you try to go at peak times. We went across on a Saturday afternoon and there were about 10 bikes and thirty people. The ferry could have taken more.

Derek
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Used it about 4 years ago. The boat was quite spacious, off peak at any rate, and there was a crew member stood close to the entry/exit point. Presumably assistance would be forthcoming if necessary.
Worst bit could be the zigzag queuing system on the North bank. Could be tedious but essentially do-able.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Use proper bikes - problem gone :lol:

When I used it back in 2009 the biggest issue was finding the ferry on the North bank! Might be better now.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Just new on here, but catching up with local threads. I use the ferry from time to time, if I think on, I'll next time I'm down there, I'm only a few minutes from the North Shields side. I could use it as an excuse to go out, watch this space.