cycle to santander

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
newbootclimbco

cycle to santander

Postby newbootclimbco » 4 Sep 2016, 10:33am

I am hoping to cycle from Cherbourg to Santander following the know coastal route, then catch an overnight ferry back to Poole. I may even think about a ferry back from Bilbao. My questions are, when is the best time to do this trip, ie heat wise and with a tail wind, also is it possible to catch a return ferry without a booking ?.I plan to use Hostels and B and Bs about 60ish miles a day. Any one else interested in cycling along please let me know. Ilive in Dorset, thanks Tim.

bikepacker

Re: cycle to santander

Postby bikepacker » 4 Sep 2016, 11:45am

Done similar routes twice each way. I have only once booked a ferry there never is a problem just to turn up and get on. Last time I did it was in July and the weather was very cold along the Spanish coast, so I suppose the answer to that is there is no right and wrong time you just have to go with what you have. Regarding winds, you will be going against the prevailing winds which will be SW.

Make sure after Biarritz you stay on the coast and don't be tempted on to the dual carriageways, they will lead you to dangerous tunnels. Staying with the coast takes you a nice route to Hendaye and over the old border crossing into Spain.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 4 Sep 2016, 11:57am

Bikepacker had it cold in July, I had it hot in very early June. 35 degrees on the Spanish side, even the locals were complaining it was unseasonably hot. So, as Bikepacker says, there can be no right or wrong time. Travelling southwards you will be against the prevailing wind. Ferry from Bilbao to Portsmouth, I think you will find that they do not take pedal cycles, there are several threads on here about it. Bilbao to Poole I think is freight only.

700c

Postby 700c » 4 Sep 2016, 12:37pm

newbootclimbco wrote:Any one else interested in cycling along please let me know. Ilive in Dorset, thanks Tim.

Date dependent - quite possibly.
When are you thinking of?

horizon

Postby horizon » 4 Sep 2016, 1:16pm

newbootclimbco wrote:I am hoping to cycle from Cherbourg to Santander following the know coastal route, then catch an overnight ferry back to Poole. I may even think about a ferry back from Bilbao. My questions are, when is the best time to do this trip, ie heat wise and with a tail wind, also is it possible to catch a return ferry without a booking ?.

Best time is when you can actually take your bike on the ferry - see the other theads about BF banning bikes at certain times of the year. And you will almost certainly be stung by variable pricing if you just turn up even if you can get your bike on. I would check both availability and rates now for your intended times. We all live under the illusion that bikes are small (tiny) and ferries very big (huge): it's not the case - accommodation (seat/cabin/lifeboat) is limited and not paying for a car space means you cost BF money.

I've enjoyed my bike crossings with BF to Spain but you have to get it right.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

tyreon

Postby tyreon » 4 Sep 2016, 4:08pm

Returning by ferry from Santander sounds romantic,free and a nice way to do things. Howsoever....rough crosssings,limited bookings(if you just turn up)? Booking ahead means the tyranny of miles to eat in said times + fear of weather,headwinds,terrain,meeting THAT booked ferry time!. If you are techno savvy, why not turn up at one of the 'major' towns/cities hereabouts and get yourself a cheapo flight: you can book these things nearer your arrival for lest cost. Well,so I am told.......... Fearing my lack of techno knowledge and how-things-can-go-wrong,I stay away from such. You're probably braver and brighter than myself. You have to have a smart phone or some tablet to do it all.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 4 Sep 2016, 4:34pm

What is all this baloney about ferries. I have twice turned up at Santander for a ferry, just paid for a ticket and got on, never the hint of a problem. I must have done the same at least a dozen times at Caen with the same result.

If you are unsure of you cycling time do it the opposite way and head for Caen, there are 3 ferries a day from there to Portsmouth. That will give you far more flexibility.

It is a nice ride either way, not too difficult with the only challenging part along the Spanish coast. Just go and do it and take no notice of the doom merchants.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

tyreon

Postby tyreon » 4 Sep 2016, 4:41pm

Does the ferry from Santander run every day? It didn't when we crossed. Booked for the next one. Sorry,full up. Had to wait 4 days for the next ferry. Mmmmm...

albal1

Postby albal1 » 4 Sep 2016, 8:34pm

There is no longer a ferry to Poole freight or passenger from Northern Spain. You will have to use bilbao or Santander to Portsmouth.
Why not ride back? When are you going?

ossie

Postby ossie » 5 Sep 2016, 12:00am

As stated there is no ferry from Santander to Poole.

The coastal route you refer to is Eurovelo 1, however to reach it from Cherbourg you will have a 200 mile road ride down to Nantes.

newbootclimbco

Postby newbootclimbco » 5 Sep 2016, 10:14am

Thanks people for the replies , I think if I decide to do this trip its probably better to ferry to Santander and cycle back up the coastal route towards cherborg. That then should give me a little breeze assistance and I don't have to worry about booking a return ferry. I would be in no particular hurry, if I want a day off or I want to change my way that's ok. I am looking at 3 weeks in accommodation .When would I go ? maybe August but as I'm a retired man of leisure I'm flexible .I can still do 60/70 miles a day average speed 11/12 MPH. damb fast I know. Thanks Tim

whoof

Postby whoof » 5 Sep 2016, 2:37pm

I've just had a quick check for prices in late September this year just as a comparison:

ferry Santander-Plymouth in a reclining seat £114
ferry Santander-Portsmouth didn't return a price and said contact the company
Flying Bristol- Bilbao £68.50 including the £35 charge for carrying your bike.

robing

Postby robing » 9 Sep 2016, 9:35pm

Now is a good time to do it! I'm doing Bayonne to Dieppe and have had warm sunny weather almost every day. Now at alencon. I have had headwinds virtually all the way though. I would avoid the French holiday season from mid July to end of august as everywhere is really busy.

Davidwd

Postby Davidwd » 16 Dec 2016, 3:03pm

I am doing it a slightly different way, I am taking the bike express to Bayonne and then cycling around 20 miles to Hendaye. From Hendaye I will be taking the eurovelo 1 all the way to Roscoff and the taking the Roscoff - Plymouth ferry which is quite cheap.

newbootclimbco

Postby newbootclimbco » 22 Dec 2016, 3:38pm

I also have a thread on , finding a companion cycling back from Santander. thanks davidwd regarding the bike express. I don't want to use trains or planes so i'd still have a long ride to pick up the coach,ie London or dover, i'd prefer to cycle to Plymouth from my place near poole in dorset. I suppose hendaye is just into spain from bayonne, then a sort of u turn and back up the coast north towards home. still not sure about camping. to dennis if your reading this and thanks for the reply last week i'll be in touch after xmas. have a good one all my fans. thanks tim