Clevedon~Weston Super Mare

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jimcrosskell

Clevedon~Weston Super Mare

Post by jimcrosskell »

Can anyone advise if there is a route across the river Yeo south of Clevedon. I can see footpaths from Kingston Seymour under the M5 to East Hewish which look promising but a Google search makes mention of a plan to make a cycle route over the sluice at Yeo bank farm but that was in 2011.
Pleased to hear any views, we dont mind pushing for a bit. Else wise over the M5 and onto the A370.
Backwinds forever......
mjr

Re: Clevedon~Weston Super Mare

Post by mjr »

jimcrosskell wrote:Can anyone advise if there is a route across the river Yeo south of Clevedon. I can see footpaths from Kingston Seymour under the M5 to East Hewish which look promising but a Google search makes mention of a plan to make a cycle route over the sluice at Yeo bank farm but that was in 2011.

It's been a plan since the 1970s! I joined the campaign while I was there and some of my relatives have been involved since the early days. https://www.facebook.com/ClevedonAndWestonCycleRoute/ latest relevant update is "Work on the Clevedon to Weston path is not going to start until 2017. The Environment Agency works are taking longer than expected. As all work in that area has to be completed between March and September because of migratory birds, there's not enough time left to build the path this year. North Somerset Council say they remain committed to building the path, which is one of their highest priorities. Obviously disappointing for everyone."

https://coastalwalker.co.uk/2014/09/03/ ... -clevedon/ is the most recent walk report I know and I think it would be tricky carrying a bike. I never took the time to try picking a route across. Instead I used National 26 to Congresbury and then either the horrible A370 direct to Hewish if I was in a rush or continued along National 26 to Nye Road and back (two sides of a triangle) if I had time.

I feel it would be good if you can spend a few minutes contacting North Somerset Council and innocently asking them how they expect cycling tourists to travel between the two towns, just to remind them people actually want this.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sustrans have been saying for quite some time that they are planning a route from Nailsea to WSM. For a while they were saying the problem was agreement with a land owner to cross the river, I think between Kingston Seymour and Wick St Lawrence. Currently (below) mentions early planning and the Environment Agency.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/festival-way

If I ride to WSM I from Bristol I don't go on the A370 for more than a couple hundred metres to cross it.. Leave the Strawberry Line North of Sandford go Puxton, Hewish, cross the A370 and then Bourton, Ebdon and into WSM via Kewstoke/Sand Bay. It's a nice route and very quiet.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I did this route a few years ago. Lane past tutshill farm to the river crossing. over the river then lane which appears to be an old railway line to join wick road. The gate to get out to wick road was locked shut so we just lifted our bikes over. This route has been talked about for over 30 years and not much action due to the resistance of a small minded minority.
http://www.kingstonseymour.org.uk/paris ... -crossing/

ps if you follow whoofs advice you get to pass the Leaning tower of Puxton church, a smaller version of Pisa :lol:
As i said it was a few years ago that i rode this and it was all rideable apart from the locked gate, so you need a better update to be sure.
And i dont know the legality of the route.
Last edited by rjb on 21 Sep 2016, 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

Thanks everyone
I will how we get on next week
Backwinds forever......
jimcrosskell

Post by jimcrosskell »

As RJB advised....
Took the lifting the tandem over a couple of gates route and had a nice ride
Thanks
Backwinds forever....
rjb

Post by rjb »

Glad you enjoyed it, its so easy and quiet, makes you wonder why the locals don't embrace it instead of being "nimbys" :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm not holding my breath. They haven't got planning permission yet, and the funding is dependant on that. They have been trying to get planning permission for over 30 years so I don't expect it to happen any time soon. :(
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The last time I rode from Weston to Clevedon and beyond was after the Great Weston ride and meandered to make the day's mileage into 100 miles. Left the seafront and took the Kew Stoke toll road then along the beach at Sand Bay then the back lanes of Weston and met the A370 after the M5 roundabout after crossing the railway and M5 then rode into Congresbury and the Strawberry Line to Yatton then Kingston Seymour into Clevedon. I can remember trying get to Weston easily from Clevedon on a week of cycling with the school and failed and that was 30+ years ago, theink the route the teachers looked at was over a bridge where the old WC & P railway ran.
whoof

Post by whoof »

if it does happen that will be good.

"The path, to be made from stone recycled from old road surfaces"

But depending on the surface I might still be going via Puxton and Hewish.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Reading this takes me back to my school days when we lived in Worle and use to ride those back lanes loads of times , sorry can't help just thought i would comment
Last edited by martin biggs on 19 Dec 2018, 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
hayers

Post by hayers »

There seems to be current planning activity:
https://planning.n-somerset.gov.uk/onli ... VCHLPKX900
mjr

Post by mjr »

hayers wrote:There seems to be current planning activity:
https://planning.n-somerset.gov.uk/onli ... VCHLPKX900

"An error occurred during a connection to planning.n-somerset.gov.uk. The OCSP server suggests trying again later. Error code: SEC_ERROR_OCSP_TRY_SERVER_LATER"

Do they have an email address? Their server looks broken or it might be me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Dear Supporter,

A year ago I wrote to tell you of North Somerset's request for Facebook "likes". The response was excellent, creating 1200 "likes" for the proposed Clevedon and Weston Cycle Route. Thank you!

A year on, and North Somerset Council have submitted a PLANNING APPLICATION. (If you already know this from our Facebook page here it is again.....)

"Construction of a 1.4km shared use cycleway on a section of the old railway line running between Wick Road, Wick St Lawrence and Yeo Bank Lane, Kingston Seymour including a new farm bridge over the Congresbury Yeo, and the erection of a replica of the former Wick St Lawrence Station Halt building. " Ref. No: 18/P/4758/FUL | Received: Fri 02 Nov 2018

The link is https://planning.n-somerset.gov.uk/onli ... VCHLPKX900

Alternatively you can reach this by finding North Somerset Council Planning and entering "Tutshill" in the application search box.

If you're still keen on this route I urge you to make a "Support" comment on the planning website. Just click the "Support" box, skip the list of negatives, add a word or two, and your support will be counted. There'll be objections from some parties so it's important to counter these by showing the high level of support.

At present the expiry date for comments is not stated but the determination date is 28 December 2018.

Let's hope they mean it this time...........

Steve Kinsella

11 November 2018