Rear Panniers - as far forward as possible?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Rear Panniers - as far forward as possible?

Post by simonhill »

Just checking that this is correct.

I recently fitted a new rack and find my panniers are a bit further back than before. I reckon I can move them forward a bit (2 or 3 inches/5-7 cms) and maintain heel clearance. Maybe it's my imagination or maybe the strong winds I've been experiencing, but my bike does seem a little twitchier.

Waddya reckon?
MLJ

Re: Rear Panniers - as far forward as possible?

Post by MLJ »

It's the tail that wags the dog: further back means more unbalanced swing. Furthest forward is more stable but there must be clearance for the heels.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I tend to agree - if nothing else it will lighten the front wheel which will feel twitchier.
pwa

Post by pwa »

You obviously need the panniers far enough back to avoid clipping them with your heels. There is no point having them further back than that, so I'd adjust them to rest there. But I would be surprised if 1 or 2cm made much difference to handling. 7cm might.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

simonhill wrote:. I reckon I can move them forward a bit (2 or 3 inches/5-7 cms) and maintain heel clearance.

Edit in:
Moved them about 5cms today and noticed the difference. I might be able to get another couple of cms.

I partly posted this as a rhetorical question, partly to check my thinking was correct and partly as a warning/reminder to people who fit new racks, etc.

It's surprising how much difference it made. Particularly noticeable in long tunnels where I was literally bouncing off the walls a few days ago. Today's 10km downhill also felt a lot more steady.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Of course, bike geometry also matters, but by and large I agree that the further forward the better. The same applies to things you may put on top of the rack: strap it as far forward as you can, e.g. by mounting a tent transversely if you can. Similarly, it pays to have heavy items like tools forward inside the pannier, or liquid fuel in a bottle underneath the downtube (and certainly not in an outside pocket at the back of the pannier). The more weight you can move to the centre of gravity of the bike, the better.
meic

Post by meic »

The more weight you can move to the centre of gravity of the bike, the better.

I would agree with that, if you are trying to optimise handling of the bike.
On the other hand lots of things far outweigh that consideration, so it doesnt decide how I pack my bike, it merely influences choices much further down the decision tree.
I will still keep my dirty fuel bottles in the rear most pannier pockets (because they are dirty) and my tent longitudinal for easy packing and aerodynamics.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Agree with Willem. My Salsa Vaya was unrideable with a camp touring load but moving everything forward and loading heavier items towards the front made it just about bearable. It is ok with a credit card touring load though.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
robing

Post by robing »

willem jongman wrote:, e.g. by mounting a tent transversely if you can.

disagree with this. A tent is best placed longitudinally on top of the rear rack to be more aerodynamic. If you place it transversely there will be a lot more drag.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Depends on the size of the tent....
ossie

Post by ossie »

robing wrote:
willem jongman wrote:, e.g. by mounting a tent transversely if you can.

disagree with this. A tent is best placed longitudinally on top of the rear rack to be more aerodynamic. If you place it transversely there will be a lot more drag.

Is drag something us touring folk really care about... :D

I have my tent front to back as that's where it fits. If it went the other way I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
meic

Post by meic »

Is drag something us touring folk really care about... :D

Yes, when pushing day after day into a headwind.
Yma o Hyd