Budget bike for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
m-gineering

Re: Budget bike for touring?

Postby m-gineering » 19 Oct 2016, 7:03pm

you don't have a bike (so you're probably inexperienced) and you want to start in November? Save yourself a lot of money and go stand in a cold shower for a day with your clothes on. If you enjoy that, go ahead
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm

Heltor Chasca

Budget bike for touring?

Postby Heltor Chasca » 19 Oct 2016, 7:32pm

I'd ignore much of the above. Touring by bike isn't rocket science or some elitist enclave. And you don't need experience. You'll get that as you go. Or what's the point? Just go for it. You'll be in pretty developed countries. This side of winter is ok. Jan/Feb is trickier, but by then you would have been on the road for a while and you'll have been enjoying yourself way too much.

Enjoy the adventure and stay rubber side down Keep us all posted on your travels.

horizon

Postby horizon » 19 Oct 2016, 8:04pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:I'd ignore much of the above.

I'd agree (except for my own posts which are even worth reading twice). The journey is very doable if a bit gloomy in the evenings.

But the OP says he will be travelling in snow and will be camping. So it does beg a few questions about staying upright and keeping warm.
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 19 Oct 2016, 9:01pm

I wouln't worry about snow, unless you manage to find some mountains later on. But in Germany and the Netherlands you could easily have a week of 5C and drizzle and wind all day long in very flat and open country (no crops on the fields) and no chance of a cup of coffee for miles and miles. It's too easy to do something stupid when you're cold and inexperienced.
Marten

meic

Postby meic » 19 Oct 2016, 9:07pm

you don't have a bike (so you're probably inexperienced)

An inexperienced cyclist probably but they may well be experienced in bad weather and rough camping.
Those skills dont come with a bike.
Yma o Hyd

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Oct 2016, 9:30pm

m-gineering wrote:you don't have a bike (so you're probably inexperienced) and you want to start in November? Save yourself a lot of money and go stand in a cold shower for a day with your clothes on. If you enjoy that, go ahead

That's not very helpful.

The Norwegians say that there is no such things a bad weather, only bad clothes.

Dealing with snow, cold, and rain only requires being prepared for it. Even if th OP is inexperienced, that doens't necessarily mean unprepared.
Willem suggestion of using the Top Contact II winter tyres. If you paln to carry on through anything, I would also take some studded tyres. Those are for ice. They're awful to ride on any distance, so only use them when you really need them, but if it's icy out, use them (and remember that motor vehicles may not have very good traction).

When you get into warmer weather, you can post stuff like studded tyres and winter boots home, sell it or leave it, and then you don't have to carry it all the way to Portugul.

p.s. That picture of Helen is from Siberia. I doubt you'll need all that!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

m-gineering

Postby m-gineering » 19 Oct 2016, 9:53pm

"Dealing with snow, cold, and rain only requires being prepared for it. Even if th OP is inexperienced, that doens't necessarily mean unprepared."

not having a bike a month before you start out would meet my definition of unprepared. Yes you can have luck with the weather (had a coffee last year outside on the terrace on 21:00 in the middle of december because it was to hot inside!) but if you want to have fun you'd better be prepared for some very energy draining and demoralizing circumstances.
Marten

meic

Postby meic » 19 Oct 2016, 9:57pm

I see it as "On the job training".
Less wasteful than cycling around your local area for a month carrying bags of sand before you set off.
Leave now and you have a month's headstart which would take some catching up with even with a greater level of preparedness.
The trip is long enough to learn as you go.
Yma o Hyd

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Oct 2016, 10:17pm

m-gineering wrote:"Dealing with snow, cold, and rain only requires being prepared for it. Even if th OP is inexperienced, that doens't necessarily mean unprepared."

not having a bike a month before you start out would meet my definition of unprepared. Yes you can have luck with the weather (had a coffee last year outside on the terrace on 21:00 in the middle of december because it was to hot inside!) but if you want to have fun you'd better be prepared for some very energy draining and demoralizing circumstances.

Being prepared for weather and being prepared for cycling are two different things.

Getting fit for cycling can be done on the way if the OP isn't in any hurry. The weather, though, can kill a person, if they are not prepared for it. So warm clothes, waterproofs, winter tyres, mittens, etc. are in order.

Yes some of it will be draining, and demoralizing, and the mental battle is probably the hardest one. But the OP said they've got stops along the way, so I presume there are others they can rely on. And every adventure comes with days like that. It definitely helps to have prepared for those days by having cycled further than you need to go, having set up a tent in awful weather, etc., Then, sometimes the better part of valour means curling up with a book and a mug of tea in front of a fire. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 20 Oct 2016, 11:37pm

Seeing as the OP hasn't got back apart from one log in a day after post.
We have no idea of his experience. He may be ex Polar explorer and tdf competitor.

I suspect we are writing all this more for ourselves than for him. He has probably changed his mind and decided to spend his time in the Canaries.

I normally call these PPP, post pub posts, but this was made early afternoon, so more useless speculation.

horizon

Postby horizon » 21 Oct 2016, 1:26am

simonhill wrote:
I suspect we are writing all this more for ourselves than for him.

I thought that was always the case with these posts - they're just a good idea for a discussion - a sort of what if. It's the replies that make it interesting. :)
The experience of travel is something that you have to pay for but can never buy. Ho Ri Zon Chinese philosopher

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 21 Oct 2016, 10:20am

Or maybe the OP wanted bike suggestions, instead of a discussion about whether he should leave in November :wink:

Second-hand will get better value for money, but also requires some caution, as a second-hand bike could need parts replacing, or have other issues that will it costs more than new, in the end. On the other hand, iof you are knowledgeable, or take someone with who is, you can do much better with second hand.

I don't know any of the sellers wiht bikes currently in the classified section, but depending on how tall the OP is, there ae a few that might be suitable:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109919
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109229
Also, if the money is available (over budget, of course), these look like bargains:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109833
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109638
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=109721

Or if you are not confident buying used, new ones from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op...

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/revolu ... -2-16.html
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/revolu ... -1-16.html
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/marin- ... rs-16.html

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 22 Oct 2016, 6:58pm

This guy has some good ideas on a converted MTB for touring. Be careful he does not send you to sleep though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYPw6SDz2l0
Nothing left to prove.

Metal8

Postby Metal8 » 28 Oct 2016, 1:39pm

I've got the Marin Four Corners and for the price it is a) exceptional value for money b) a real workhorse, steel framed, disc brakes, loads of mounting braze-ons, 40mm Schwalbe tyres, comfortable flared handlebars and angled stem for more upright cycling.

Tried the Revolution ones but they felt dead to me and very bumpy. Don't know if its that I'm so used to steel frames with skinny tubes and the Aluminium frames were the problem or just they weren't as good.

Only stock is in Leeds shop but they are available in places throughout the country and the 2017 model is out now but at RRP price so £700+

Great bike, love it.

JBB

Postby JBB » 29 Oct 2016, 12:00pm

Metal8 wrote:

I've got the Marin Four Corners and for the price it is a) exceptional value for money b) a real workhorse, steel framed, disc brakes, loads of mounting braze-ons, 40mm Schwalbe tyres, comfortable flared handlebars and angled stem for more upright cycling.

Tried the Revolution ones but they felt dead to me and very bumpy. Don't know if its that I'm so used to steel frames with skinny tubes and the Aluminium frames were the problem or just they weren't as good.

Only stock is in Leeds shop but they are available in places throughout the country and the 2017 model is out now but at RRP price so £700+

Great bike, love it.

I've got one of the EBC Revolution tourers and unloaded find it uninspiring. However loaded up it is much better. It tracks well and the ride is somehow much more responsive - feels like a different bike.