Maps for Holland tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
scoot

Maps for Holland tour

Post by scoot »

Hi All,

I'm looking for an economic option to purchase maps for a trip next may. Route will be from Hoek of Holland, up through Amsterdam. Up the west side of the inland sea, across the top to the North sea and then down the coast to Hoek of Holland.

Seen I may need 3 maps or 1 atlas. Can anyone recommend what I will need, where to get it from and if there are any better options?

Cheers,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
m-gineering

Re: Maps for Holland tour

Post by m-gineering »

pretty comprehensive overview:
http://webshop.fietsvakantiewinkel.nl/f ... rland.html

looks like you either need 2 maps (sterkste fietskaart 1:100000) , of the Basiskaart netwerk LF-routes. Both are waterproof
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you have windows 10 look at the Map app that includes all of europe in good detail
CJ

Post by CJ »

Netherlands is a very tightly built country and navigation can be fiddly - unless you are content to put your destiny in the hands of a higher power and simply follow a well-signed long-distance through route. That will always be an interesting way to go, but not the shortest and might not include the places that interest you.

All the people I've spoken to who did NOT enjoy touring the Netherlands, were the sort of tourist who confuses the act of going more places with knowing more places. They try to cover too much ground, begrudge the weight and cost of detailed maps, do not take the time to study them or the patience to find the myriad little paths and cut-throughs that let cycles go where there is no obvious route, across fields, through woods and over ferries that take only bikes and pedestrians. So these mile-eaters end up on boring straight paths beside noisy and smelly main roads, because those are the only obvious ways to go on the too-small-scale maps they buy. I reckon the ANWB 1:100k is the only-just-good-enough minimum. 1:50k will be much clearer.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

with 1:50000 you're forever stopping and refolding your map. I find 1:100000 fine, just use it for generel directions and an idea of the chokepoints (motorways, bridges etc) and if a road looks promising take it without consulting that map again. You can't get lost too much here ;)

OR get a GPS route from the Fietsersbond routeplanner
Marten

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

m-gineering wrote:with 1:50000 you're forever stopping and refolding your map. I find 1:100000 fine, just use it for generel directions and an idea of the chokepoints (motorways, bridges etc) and if a road looks promising take it without consulting that map again. You can't get lost too much here ;)

OR get a GPS route from the Fietsersbond routeplanner

As any route will almost certainly be using the routemarked system I found making a list of the point numbers I wanted to pass through was the easiest way. Decide on the route previous evening, list the numbers and hey presto. The maps only rarely came out during the day, I got the benefit of the little lanes without looking at a map constantly.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

foxyrider wrote:
As any route will almost certainly be using the routemarked system I found making a list of the point numbers I wanted to pass through was the easiest way..

You might like them, I don't especially with a loaded bike. When I'm approaching an intersection I want to know beforehand where I'm going and I want to watch the traffic. Trying to find a small haphazardly placed sign instead gets frustrating
Last edited by m-gineering on 30 Nov 2016, 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marten

Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The A4ish spiral bound michelin atlas for Benelux and take out / copy the pages you need. It's not too many pages per day but has lots of detail when you study it closely.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

The ANWB Fietsatlas of the Netherlands at 1:100000 covers the whole of the country with all the cycle ways clearly marked and more importantly the "junction numbers" which are on the signposts. If you know the consecutive numbers for your route then you can pretty muich put the map away and cycle by numbers. There are various route planning maps on the internet which also have this information. A web search for cycling route maps for Holland should get you to them. When we went last year I photocopied the pages I need which are A5 in the Atlas and enlarged them to A4, them laminated them so I could read them in the rain if required and left the rather cumbersome book at home!
Pm me if you need any more help with this.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

steady eddy wrote:The ANWB Fietsatlas of the Netherlands at 1:100000 covers the whole of the country with all the cycle ways clearly marked and more importantly the "junction numbers" which are on the signposts. If you know the consecutive numbers for your route then you can pretty muich put the map away and cycle by numbers. There are various route planning maps on the internet which also have this information. A web search for cycling route maps for Holland should get you to them. When we went last year I photocopied the pages I need which are A5 in the Atlas and enlarged them to A4, them laminated them so I could read them in the rain if required and left the rather cumbersome book at home!
Pm me if you need any more help with this.

+1! And a good post. Rather than west of the IJsselmeer go OVER the dyke from Enkhuizen (pretty) near to Hoorn (also worth a look) to Lelystad (which is rubbish apart from the campsite and 'eat all you can' Japanese restaurant.)
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thanks one and all,

Gonna spend some time at the weekend looking at what works for me and of course won't break the piggy bank.

Getting closer to achieving my plan to do my first tour - I'll be 62 at the time and in my prime :)

So looking forward to the ride.

Cheers,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

scoot wrote:Thanks one and all,

Gonna spend some time at the weekend looking at what works for me and of course won't break the piggy bank.

Getting closer to achieving my plan to do my first tour - I'll be 62 at the time and in my prime :)

So looking forward to the ride.

Cheers,

Paul

You should have said! Good for you Paul. [emoji106]Proof that life begins at any age you choose.

Patronising comments aside: Whichever map you choose, go for 1 with the knopunten. Navigation doesn't get any easier. I've been through the NL on bike, hacking away with a road atlas. It worked for about a day and a half before I picked up a cycle specific atlas in utter frustration. About £12 then. Made my holiday. Really.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

these are by far and away the very best for what you want:
http://webwinkel.nederlandfietsland.nl/ ... outes.html
cheap, cover the whole country, waterproof paper, each one designed to fit in a mapcase on a barbag. has just about every cycle route in the country.

also look up vrienden op de fiets - good value, meet the locals, lovely idea.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The ANWB 1:100 000 didn't seem to exist any more, at least the individual sheet maps, was my conclusion, when I tried to buy some for a trip earlier this year, having purchased and used one the previous year. I find both Falk and ANWB 1:50 000 good maps to cycle by. I also have Falk's 1:75 000 atlas. It's fine in most circumstances for getting you across fields, however it can get you lost in towns. The Falk maps are more comprehensive than the ANWB ones in relation to campsites.
mjr

Post by mjr »

m-gineering wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
As any route will almost certainly be using the routemarked system I found making a list of the point numbers I wanted to pass through was the easiest way..

You might like them, I don't especially with a loaded bike. When I'm approaching an intersection I want to know beforehand where I'm going and I want to watch the traffic. Trying to find a small haphazardly placed sign instead gets frustrating

Where were you when? We did this route last year with loaded bikes http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31123 http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31120 http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31121 http://cycle.travel/map/journey/31122 and the only time the signs weren't obvious was on the last day, through some building works in Delft and then someone seemed to have nicked a sign on the exit so we went 53-54-55-33-34-31-35-36-28-23 instead of the shorter 53-54-27-25-24-23.

So next year I'll add more place names among the numbers as a double-check, but I'm happy to use them again.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.