The Ridgeway (Western Section)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: The Ridgeway (Western Section)

Postby simonhill » 23 Dec 2016, 11:26am

The Barge Inn has changed a lot over the last couple of years. It was always very busy and noisy on Friday and Saturday, I know, I was a regular for many years. A mix of locals partying and the crop circle crowd. Mid week it was usually very quiet.

When I went earlier this year at the end of July, the campsite was reserved by Reading University for a whole month. Also prices had gone up and I suspected the owner was trying to make it a bit more upmarket. It is up for sale now so who knows what will happen next year. They do have a website with contact details.

If you want somewhere quieter then I can recommend the Golden Swan (west of Pewsey), freehouse, no food; or the Bruce Arms (east of Pewsey), Wadworths, great food.

JBB

Postby JBB » 23 Dec 2016, 12:03pm

simonhill wrote:The Barge Inn has changed a lot over the last couple of years. It was always very busy and noisy on Friday and Saturday, I know, I was a regular for many years. A mix of locals partying and the crop circle crowd. Mid week it was usually very quiet.

When I went earlier this year at the end of July, the campsite was reserved by Reading University for a whole month. Also prices had gone up and I suspected the owner was trying to make it a bit more upmarket. It is up for sale now so who knows what will happen next year. They do have a website with contact details.

If you want somewhere quieter then I can recommend the Golden Swan (west of Pewsey), freehouse, no food; or the Bruce Arms (east of Pewsey), Wadworths, great food.

Agree about the Bruce Arms, very good last time I stayed there.

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 23 Dec 2016, 7:24pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:
I've spent a night at Stoney Littleton longbarrow just off the NCN24. It wasn't the ethereal quality of the mound that disturbed my sleep; I got claustrophobic in the mound so kipped in the grass.

Sshhh, that's about a mile from my house. We're trying to keep it a secret